3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
I've see "Compton" numerous times in the threads but had no idea it was some kind of club.  I thought is was just a place to get together where vendors could offer their stuff.  And with the get together out of my state I really had no interest in going.

At least now I know Compton isn't just a place to buy trad gear.
USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I have been a member since the beginning-- and I may never get to a rendezvous (although it is on my bucket list). Simple and clear values and priorities about hunting with a bow. That's why.

Offline recurve3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Charter Member / Life Member

It stands for what I believe in.

The Board really needs to consider rotating the event around the country to make it a bit more fair and atract new members, especially in light of the info you note that many that attend at current location have not joined the organization.
Tom

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Not a member.  The first thing I look at is, what have they done and what are they doing?  It doesn't look like much so far, and as you said, it may be due to a lack of members and money, but simply having a good mission statement doesn't do it for me.  

You keep saying that you want to promote Trad Archery by putting it in a positive light, who sees the light?
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2011, 01:11:00 PM »
Steve O, Thank you because you are the first person that didn't assume I had any idea what Compton was. Until you chimed in I had no idea Compton was anything more then another local traditional archery group. I even asked and it wasn't until middle and end of the second page that I get two oppposing views of what Compton does.  

I think there is a chance that people aren't joining because you aren't doing a very good job of putting out your message.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to receive.  We definately do need to do a better job of letting people know who we are and what we are all about.  This thread is one way to start that process.  We also have a regular article in TBM, and set up a booth at a number of different events around the country.  

But of course there is always room to do more, and until everyone knows exactly what Compton Traditional Bowhunters means our job will not be complete.

There are a number of other things in the works, but I'll hold off on the details until they are formalized and receive the blessing of the board.  I think it is safe to say that we are trying hard to head in the right direction.

Thanks for your help!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Whip,
I think it would feel like more of a National organization if the annual Compton Traditional Rendezvous wasn't always in Michigan (this is me assuming it is always there but I can't find that much history on it).  I go to Northwest Regional Traditional Archery Rendezvous whenever I have time and it rotates from western Canada down to Oregon, Washington and Idaho every year.  I can tell you it is pretty exciting when it gets close enough to go up early and stay late without taking too much time off work.
Michael

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Whip,
   One thing I noticed is most people are members of their state traditional clubs, some seem to support that verses comptons. With that observation could comptons somehow come together with a lot of the state organizations, to support each other, most have the same cause.

For an example, I'm a member of the Michigan Longbow organization, it is a trad group, unfortiantly it is longbow only, but play along with me. Could comptons have some special way of working with these local state groups, like let's say my Michigan longbow membership is $25 (I don't remember what it actually is)  for $10 more you can also be a Compton member ? The two groups have a lot in common, plus combine forces, the Michigan group would still be there own identity and support their own local events but yet be part of a bigger group who may be able to help them in ways or vice versa.

I'm having a hard time explaining my thoughts, but rather than have 50 or more little trad clubs who are only partly meaningful in their own state, they could be part of a huge organization with lots of members / numbers for a national presence which could do a lot to support traditional archery. Now keep in mind, comptons could not take over the local clubs, that would just not go over good locally, but the two could work together.

After reading my post, I guess comptons could create smaller state by state groups which are all part of the national group. This way people feel they have a local presence, but it also conflicts and possibly takes over the local state by state clubs like Michigan longbow organization.

Just throwing thoughts at ya ! Please sort thru this rambling, some parts should make sense.
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I guess looking at my ramblings again, if comptons had local chapters it would eliminate the talk of " why don't comptons have a rondevue in my state"
Dan

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
I am a member and have been to two rendevous.......I support them because they truly stand for traditional bowhunting and do a TREMENDOUS amount for kids........
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Dan, those are some great thoughts, and very similar to some of the ideas that I have myself.  I'm working on something along those lines and sure appreciate the input as we work through the details.  Thanks!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
It would be nice if they move the rendezvous around.  I agree with that.  There are a lot of Traditional Shooters in PA who would attend if it were closer.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Keith, I would go further then that. If Compton Rendezvous (I hate French words) came out West, I would go back East for at least one.
Michael

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Whip, I go to one shoot a year. And that's where I re-up my Traditional Archers of NJ membership. I'm a cash paying kinda guy if you get my drift.

I recently joined PBS, still not sure what they're all about, other than being totally against crossbows but OK with high-tech compounds??...

Comptons sounds more like me.

And,the difference between me and a guy hunting with a Weatherby is about 300 yards. I personally have no problem being an elite hunter.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
To be honest I have always thought of them as more of a "back east thing" until hanging out here on this site. I really didn't understand what they were about until lately. I have had a hard time in the past supporting most national organations verses local organations and alot of local groups don't do much for me ether. I guess I have always wonderd if they really help the sport or not and would rather keep the money more local.  Now that I'm getting older I can see how fragile my bowhunting intersts are and I am looking for ways to preserve them. I volunteer alot of my time to a archery club that I'm the only active traditional bowhunter just to show others about it. So I guess I should start to look at national groups that actually do supports my ideals. I may be my bad for veiwing it that way in the past but it's how I saw it.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
I was a member for a while but did not renew because I did'nt see any reason for ME to be a member, yes I said it, and don't have to justify saying it.. could'nt see that it was a benifit to me. I am a member of plenty of organizations, just can't join them all.
 Here in the south there are not as many gathering or organizations as there are up north. If I lived in Michigan or somewhere close I would absolutly be a member.  And the fact that Whip is an active member may prompt me to renew my membership anyway... a finer fellow would be hard to find.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
All I know about Comptons is that Joe is on the Board and that is a sure sign that things will be picking up! Looks like I will be signing up shortly...
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I guess I don't get the back east thing.....I went to the summer doing's 3 years ago....it was 750 miles west of me. That puts it almost in the north central part of the country. Yea , I would like it to be 50 miles from my house but it's not. Still a thing to belong to if you have a desire to support what you love!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
I am a life member and have been to numerous Comptons rendezvous, and cannot hardly wait till next month. Have missed the last 2 because of bear hunting in Canada, but will be there as a volunteer this year. It is such an enjoyable 3 days. If you love trad shooting, you will love the rendezvous. There is sooo much to do and see!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
I keep struggling with words as I read this, I understand the western folks thoughts of it being to far away, but if it moved around I just don't know if it would be as big as it is. For a lot of people it is an annual thing to go to, I have joined that crowed (yes I'm in Michigan, but it is still close to a 5 hour, 1 way trip for me) if it traveled around like the circus, I don't see it being as big a show as it is.  For lots of reasons, one being a first time event just don't get the word out and that's what it would be is a first time event at each location. Some parts of this country just don't have the trad shooters like the michigan / Ohio / Indiana area.  And yes Pennsylvania thru New York has some trad shooters to support a big show, but we still didn't solve the western folks complaints.

Whip, I think local chapters need to be created, that would have to be created by the area, Michigan could probably support a chapter, Pennsylvania could support a chapter, probably The greater New York area could, now could Wyoming ? Montanna ? Kansas ? And them are what I consider hunting states. Were back to the west not having support / shows.  

What really bothers me is I find myself struggling with the thought of losing the rendezvous  5 hours from me, by me not wanting to let go of that, it  puts me in the " what's in it for me group" I don't wanna be there      :knothead:      Whip, I will remain a member whatever happens because I believe the sport of trad shooting that I love needs national support.

Whip, Good luck with what your trying to do      :thumbsup:  
Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©