3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Are you a Compton Member? Why or Why Not?
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Wow, if you came on a different weekend, no one would be there! It is my birthday and Father's Day weekend. My pops is happy to see me on any day so one day isn't more special then another. I'm lucky to have a family that supports my desire to attend. I have for the last few years helped vendors move supplies, helped set-up the vendor area, dig fire pits, and help with the kids instructional shoot. What a great way to spend a day, supporting what your passionate about.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Greg Dearth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
I have been a member for 4 years. We need a national organization that promotes traditional  bowhunting and archery in a professional and ethical manner. I believe Compton's does that.

Offline wasapt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I'm a member..4 years now... because I love my sport and this organization helps to preserve it. I like it better than P & Y and PBS because it is exclusively for the trad guy. I like the others as well but Compton represents me completely. I like that P & Y is working with the Boy  Scouts and I think it is a great move, Compton should join them. I wish the Rendevous was not 24 hrs away from me via car but i plan to drive again next month. I wish it was not on Fathers day either as I am divorced and have 4 kids under age 13. I am in Texas, wish the event was closer...
bryce olson

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »
I'd like to make one comment here...

I own and operate a business in my small town and county in rural Ohio. 'Everybody knows everybody', as folks often say. After many years of conducting business in the public eye (meaning we're a visible presence here) people still don't know who we are and what we do. They ask what we do, and then say "huh!...never heard of you 'til today". What's my point?

Any group or organization needs to constantly pound their name and ideals into the public's eye. If membership is needed, people must know YOUR NAME, and they must know exactly WHAT YOU OFFER. Having a vague idea or semblance of understanding is not close to enough. Being misidentified, misunderstood or worse...invisible...causes people to walk away. Again: Tell people who you are and CLEARLY define what you stand for, and what you offer for joining.

I say 'offer', because the majority of people don't spend money in order to join a work effort. If you want their membership and money, give them something real and visible in return. The fact is, most people want to pay money and get something for it. If they want to work for the organization later...fine. Expecting them to do work is unrealistic at best. Any organization exists only because of its members, and it must continually strive to attract and please them.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Another:

Any group that professes to be THE national voice of anything has to be willing to move about the country and reach its members. Otherwise it's a regional organization only, all talk aside. Witness P&Y, NRA, SHOT, PBS, BASS and many other groups who routinely move their events around the nation. Keeping any membership-dependent and attendance-driven organization locked down to one spot is a path to regional recognition only, and limits true national prominence. Regional attitudes and preferences will prevail, while the rest of the country remains "out there". The hazard in this is the lack of fresh ideas and thinking. A "same old - same old" perception by the rest of the world will condemn any group to slow obscurity.

That said, how can Compton take a great thing (a well attended summer event, and subsequent recognition) and parlay it into reaching bowhunters around the country? When this happens (if it happens) a national presense may be felt. Until then, I'm afraid a lot of people will always believe that it's just another big traditional bow shoot somewhere in Michigan.

Play it safe? Grow it?

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by doctari:
But it takes hundreds of volunteers to make this gathering as nice as it is each year.
Ok, I'm gonna say it, would there be hundreds even show up out west ?
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
"Ok, I'm gonna say it, would there be hundreds even show up out west ?
Dan"

A "No" answer indicating that many western people may see no reason to belong...or that many eastern folks wouldn't travel to attend it. The safe bet is to keep it where it is now. But, playing it safe always, could mean "regional" always. It all depends on what Compton wants to accomplish as an organization. National prominence or regional only?

A great organization (like Compton) must act in great ways.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Maybe three rendevous a year; keep the current one as the primary annual "National" rendevous, with additional get togethers further east and west on other dates?  I'd love to attend but two days of driving or the cost (and pain) of flying are just too much of a deterrent for me right now.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kevin Dill:
"Ok, I'm gonna say it, would there be hundreds even show up out west ?
Dan"

A "No" answer indicating that many western people may see no reason to belong...or that many eastern folks wouldn't travel to attend it. The safe bet is to keep it where it is now. But, playing it safe always, could mean "regional" always. It all depends on what Compton's wants to accomplish as an organization. National prominence or regional only?

A great organization (like Compton's) must act in great ways.
Kevin, you said it much better than I did, I selected my words poorly, but yet that is the question on the table right now. A very tough decision there, I do understand and agree with our western friends, but I also understand that it would be a difficult decision to dismantle the Berrian Spring show or downsize it and move it to meet the national needs. Whip, you asked a very difficult question if it is answered honestly, a good / stronger magazine might be a better, more feasable way to blanket / cover the nation, plus that would cover the "need" to the question "what am I getting for my money"  it probably takes fewer people to do a magazine than it does a show, and that Magazine could cover the nation ( make it to everyones door ) something a show cannot do
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline RickSaar@work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I've been a member for several years.
Earlier someone posted a question about financials which would be great. I'm very confident that funds are being spent wisely but it would still be good to see them.

I guess I would really like to see minutes of the board meetings posted somewhere, whether in the magazine or the website. BTW, election results on the website would be great, too.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
To some extent perhaps, the die has been cast. Compton relies heavily on the income generated by the June event. The nature of that event makes it extremely difficult to move around. Impractical at best and impossible at worst. The upshot is an inability to escape the current venue, as long as the June event (camping & shooting) is critical to finances. If you can't leave that region, then you'll be forever identified with it. Michigan and the upper midwest have a proud heritage and tradition of hunting with "real" archery gear, so the current location makes sense.

I simply think this makes Compton activities unreachable for many from the south, west and northwest...all areas which have contributed to the rebirth of "real" bowhunting. For many, Compton can only ever be experienced in print or on-line. Being the hands-on folks we are, that's not enough contact for many.

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2011, 04:05:00 PM »
Possibly getting "local" members to create Compton West or something of that nature.  Additional revenue and no loss of its roots, just spreading its wings.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Although there were many good comments made, I feel Kevin definetly hammered the nail on this one. Great ideas, well spoken. Thanks Kevin, and all others that have put positive remarks out that "may" make a difference.  :clapper:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
I'd like to see Compton's edit the entry for Art Young and his polar bear; he shot one, not two, and it wasn't by stalking. It is a beautiful book, though, and fuels the imagination. I see that they really promote youth archery in a strong way, too, so they seem to me (from this long distance) to be a darn good organisation and group of people.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
There is an annual trad only shoot in Petaluma California sponsored by the Traditional Archers of California, which attracts several hundred shooters and is far and above the best trad only shoot I've ever attended.  The event is held at the Dutra family farm, and people mainly camp there for 2-3 days of the event.  There are always a lot of vendors, and people have a great time.  I've never attended the Compton event, but it sounds very similar.

The thing is, the Dutras aren't getting any younger, and everyone just keeps their fingers crossed that they will be up for it for another year.  If they decide someday that they don't have the energy for it anymore, maybe there are other folks within TAC who will step up to the plate, and maybe there are other places where it can be held....or maybe not.

It seems to me that if Compton wants to expand and become more of a national presence, it would be a good idea for it to seek out and become a part of events such as the Petaluma shoot that are currently very successful, but may not last forever unless ways are found to carry them on into the future.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
Have been following this thread on and off for some time.
I joined, at the Pope and Young Banquet, I think this is the second time I have been a member, am also  member of PBS,  
Why?  While Compton's stands for those things, and values that believe in, I am curious to see how and what they are willing to do to preserve them.  I know that Compton's is great for "here's my bow, come shoot it and see whats it's all about.
So, I guess in a nut shell, there is my answer............
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I only meant it would be easier for me if the event was either the weekend before or after father's day. My family supports my hunting needs, but Father's day is just a bad weekend for me. We have a long standing tradition of going fishing that weekend every year. This tradition was long established before I ever heard about Compton.

On the flip side, Compton was long established before I was into archery at all. I still believe it is a great club and would like to join some day.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
This has been a fantastic thread for me and is more than I even hoped for when I started it.  Great feedback and answers to a tough question.  

Many of the things that were suggested here were the same things we talked about at my first board meeting.  I am very confident that you will be seeing some real positive changes in the future.  Obviously it is not just up to me, but I do think you are going to be very impressed with what you see from Compton going forward.  

Please do try to keep in mind it is a relatively small and completely volunteer group, and change will take a little time.  We of course need to work within the constraints of the budget available, and some things will simply require more patience than we would prefer.  But the tone of the board, without a doubt is that now is the time to take the steps needed to make Compton a truly national organization representing bowhunting around the entire country.  

Your thoughtful input and suggestions are genuinely appreciated.  
Thank you!     :notworthy:    :notworthy:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: May 14, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Whip,

I've been a Compton member since 2002 if I recall correctly. One of the main things I enjoy about the organization is their positive attitude. They promote what they enjoy without degrading everything else. I've can't remember ever once opening their newsletter and reading a diatribe about compound bows, one hunting method versus another, or how they think they're better than someone else. There seems to be a total lack of elitism, and I find that very refreshing.

Offline Fallguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I belonged to ATHA. From the start of Compton's there seemed to be a feeling that they were out to put ATHA out of business. Just my perception. I have not joined Compton's for reasons that have been eluded to here a couple times but I will put it bluntly. If Compton's wants to be a National organization they will have to act like one. They can not sit on there Laural's and sing come join us we are the greatest. They need to go to the shooters not expect everyone to come to them in Michigan. Even the Vatican has events at multiple locations.
"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught" Baba Dioum  Conservationist

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©