3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How far should I plan to shoot ????  (Read 462 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
How far should I plan to shoot ????
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I am going to CO elk hunting in September for the first time. My friends say take the compound, but I don't want to.

I am shooting a 50# recurve with a 536 grain arrows (2 blade 125 grain buzzcuts or 122 grain razorheads with bleeders). How far should I expect a shot? I am 100% confident inside 25 yards and 85%+ confident at 30 yards. I plan on dialing it in by September.

Should I expect to get an elk within 30 yards of me? I would prefer to spot and stalk, with a two man calling team. The alternate option would be to sit in a tree at 25 yards from water. Any trad bow shooters out there with some words of advice? Let me say, I am perfectly willing to go home empty handed for the right experience and memories.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How far should I plan to shoot ????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
This is your call only shoot what you know you can hit.
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Clarification, my main question is should I reasonably expect to stalk elk inside 25-30 yards or do I wait till I can shoot accurately further  ....  or do I get in a tree and wait them out?  I will only shoot what I know is a kill shot.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
It's certainly reasonable to expect to stalk within 25-30 yards of an elk. I've blown a lot of stalks at 25 yards trying to get to 20... and could have killed them at 30. But that's just me.
Trying to get close is where the thrill is. The closer the stalk the greater the thrill.

It's your hunt! Do it the way YOU want to.
   :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
I practice out to 40 but won't shoot past 30.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
My only experience is with deer, and I have never had to actually gun shoot many deer out of bow range. hehehehehehhe

Just a newbie trying to prepare.  Thanks for the patience and responses.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Cootling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I honestly haven't had that many encounters where distance was the problem.  Typically getting a good, clear shot at the right angle is the limiting factor.

However, you will have better luck getting bulls really close in heavy cover, where their visibility is limited.  Don't set up on big meadows where bulls can inspect your setup from beyond bow range!

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
I shot my bull last year at 4 yards talk about the thrill of a life time.You can get them real close , just go and try a little of it all , no matter how it goes you will have a blast.Inside 30 yards can be expcted if you are on good ground.Best of luck to you.,,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
4 yards  .....  now that's my kind of hunting.  Nothing compares with thunderchickens up close! hehehehehhehe

I have to stop myself right now, I can't start talking about turkeys, I won't make it to next year.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Well, awbowman, I've killed four elk with an arrow - all BTW with a compound before I came back to traditional.  The first and fourth were at 12 and 15 yards while the middle two were 39 and 40 yards.  I have also been inside 25 yards on a couple other bulls that I didn't get a shot at or missed.  So to answer your question, yes, you can get within your traditional bow range on an elk.  Determining what that range comes out to be only comes with a lot of practice.  From what you've said, stick to 25 yds or less, it's certainly doable.  

Since this is your first time, figuring out how to get to 25 yards is the fun part.  Hopefully you get into enough elk to learn how.

Hunting elk on the ground is one of the most fun things I do.  I haven't sat in a tree stand in years.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Shoot what makes you happy, practice, and stay within your personal range. You can get elk close, keeping your composure when they are close is another story. Have fun!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
On the 5 elk I have shot, the average distance was around 18 yards. Your good to go with your recurve.

I really don't understand why folks think it's all long range shooting when they come out west. I hear it all the time, "You need to be good out to 60 yards". All BS!
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Butch L

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
awbowman- I don't have an answer for you, but I will be waiting for for all the people who actually have comments, recommendations and answers for you. I'm not stealing your post, I'll be just ghosting along.I do hope you have a fulfilling hunt that meets all your expectations, and good luck.

Butch L
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
OH I will have fun!  Nothing like hunting with the trad.

I think I can hold it together  .... every been 5 yards away from a gobbling boss gobbler!  You will think the ground is shaking, but it's just your heart beating!  Darn addictive heathens!
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
20 yards and under is my rule on all big game. I do shoot well to 30 yards on targets but, they are targets. Elk are not, they are a lot more fun when in at 4 or 5 yards. Really gets your blood pumping.  Enjoy the hunt, good luck.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
I've killed more than 2 doz. elk with the bow and 90% were killed at 25 yards or less. Rifle hunting is about shooting, bowhunting is about HUNTING!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
More than 2 dozen with a bow Jason??????   :notworthy:      :notworthy:

I will have to agree with that.  All the elk I have killed with a bow have been less than 20 yds.  Calling elk is all about getting them close.  

That said, I would not take a shot over 30 on an elk, too much to go wrong, and that a big animal to take chances with.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Elksong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
Jake -I am old.LOL! I've been doing this for a long time. Not all of them were with trad gear, quite a few were with a compound, but 25 yards is still 25 yards!LOL!
What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to man. All things are connected. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the children of the earth

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
:D
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
I've got elk in CO from 3 to 35yds with my recurve.
If they're answering a call you have to watch out you don't get trampled or gored. Even with no call I've come within spitting distance many times. Just make sure you stay down wind. They smell or hear you before they see you.
Either way I'd bring the simple bow. They just work better for rough terrain hunting.

CJ

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©