3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String serving question  (Read 225 times)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
String serving question
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
When serving a string which direction do you serve it for a right handed shooter?  Looking down the string from the top limb is it clockwise or counterclockwise?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String serving question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
I know some folks claim you must do it in a certain direction but I disagree. I have done it in both directions and have not noticed an issue. Also, when I order strings no one has ever asked me what hand it is for.

Good luck.

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
Just put it on and go, this could keep you awake at night, for naught.
Good Luck
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Serve with the twist of the string.  That way, when you twist the string to adjust the brace, you will tighten the serving.

Take any served string off a bow and twist the serving with your fingers and you will see what I mean.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
What Passthru said: it has to be with the main string twist or it will work loose as you tighten the string.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Pete,When serving a right hand bow you serve counterclockwise as you're looking down on the string. Think of it this way, as you are drawing back on the string you want the string to turn in the direction you tightened the serving. If you serve the other way you are loosening or unwinding the serving. Hope this makes sense to you.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys, that all makes sense.  I think I had it right then confused myself - not the first time THAT has happened.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Right handed string maker makes strings to tighten with a counterclock wise twist. As Passthru said.

Offline Passthru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Forget about the RH and LH stuff.  Just go with the twist.  It doesn't matter if you start at the top or bottom or what handed the string maker was.  Go with the twist of the string.

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
That's right. I should have said right handed string makers GENERALLY twist counterclock wise. That said, "going with the twist" is good, simple advice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©