3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hit 'em low and they go  (Read 174 times)

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Hit 'em low and they go
« on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
This morning started with a late wake up and I got to the woods late and the birds were already gobbling. I had to stand on the edge of the woods and wait for the Tom I was trying to set up on to fly down. After he flew down into the creek bottom I was able to slip into the natural blind that I built yesterday and I was almost able to call him in. Instead he took his buddy and walked across the field past my pop up blind. That is not what was supposed to happen! I waited about ten minutes and was able to slip in behind them into the pop up and get my decoys set up. They continued gobbling behind me so I sat tight and called just enough to let them know I was still looking for love. After about an hour they seemed to moving in my direction so I called again and got an answer from a different Tom across the field. Ten minutes passed and then this bird sounded off closer. A quick peek out the window and I could see him coming across the field. He never made another sound and I couldn't see him anymore. Then I heard him strutting in from the right side of the blind. It probably only took 30 seconds for him to reach my decoy in full strut the whole time. I thought my heart was going to explode and was sure he would hear me hyperventilating. When he turned broadside I drew and realized he was still to far to my right and I couldn't shoot till he took another step. This is when I hit freak out mode and when he took that step I dropped the string. The arrow was a complete pass through but low just in front of the wing. The bird went straight up about 10 feet and came down in my other shooting window. I was reaching for another arrow when he walked out of range across the field. My arrow had very little blood on it so I waited 45 minutes before looking for him. I spent almost 3 hours looking for him but never found any sign of him. I hope that I just grazed him because he didn't act hurt to bad as he walked away across the field. All in all it was a great morning but I just couldn't make the shot when it counted. No matter how many times you tell yourself "pick a spot" sometimes your brain just shuts off. Two inches right and today would have been my best bowhunting day ever.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hit 'em low and they go
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Turkeys are tough.. Hes probably fine.. I almost missed mine last year.. I pulled my shot high and cut his throat..I was extremely lucky.. I hope you get another shot at him..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
Seems to me that virtually any time there is a pass thru on a gob, shot placement could be in question.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
I admire any of you who hunt them with a bow.  Tough birds with a small target area.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
How much string did he take out of your string tracker?

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Bowmania, I wasn't using a string tracker. I know I should be but I tried one when I was a kid for deer hunting and didn't like it. I think my dad might still have one around his house so maybe I'll try it again.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©