3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: static vs working recurve limbs  (Read 491 times)

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
static vs working recurve limbs
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Whats the difference between working recurve limbs and static recurve limbs? Whats the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: static vs working recurve limbs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:52:00 AM »
Dan Toelke tells me the limbs on my Montana Bows Lynx recurve are a true working limb and I can say it is extremely smooth shooting and is as quiet shooting of bow as I have ever owned.
Love this bow.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
Great question, would love to see what everyone has to say. Even though I think I know the difference it would be nice to find out from someone with more knowledge on the subject.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
When I see the term "static recurve", I immediately think of the old Bear bows from the 30's, 40's, and early 50's.  I believe Nels Grumley came up with them in an effort to improve on the longbow, making a smooth drawing and fairly fast bow.  

With the static recurve, the tips do not unfold or curl back.  Later came the working recurve that had the tips unfolding.

Which is better?   :dunno:      :dunno:  

I know most target bows are working recurves, so that must mean something.   :confused:  

I think most bows made today are working recurves, but some companies like RER makes static recurves that are smooth and pleasant to shoot.

Maybe it's like the debate over left wing or right wing feathers?  Both work fine...just whatever your preference.
Lon Scott

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
Thats interesting to hear that they both work fine but im wondering what are the disadvantages to static limbs because it seems like most bowyers dont make them  :confused:  so theres got to be a reason, right?  :dunno:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 01:53:00 AM »
From what I've heard and read, most bowyers do not make the static recurve mainly because fewer archers want them.  There are tales (maybe some truth in them) that the static recurves can easily get twisted limbs, but that's probably from stringing.  Archers also claim that form has to be really good for every shot or you can expect flyers. (I get that with working recurves.)

The statics are fast due to this design and are usually quieter.  The lack of limb uncurling keeps the string on the the limb eliminating limb slap.

Other than RER Bows, another popular static is the Jack Kempf Kwik Styk which is a "hot" bow these days.
Lon Scott

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 02:41:00 AM »
Check out the Talons, they are statics. You won't find any of them being traded or sold.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
I own a Chastain recurve which is a static limb.  Blackhawk is correct as far as the uncurling on the limb is concerned.  It is a very smooth and silent shooting bow.  I don't buy into the statements that people say they are hard to string.

With that said it is not in the same league as a Toelke Lynx.  I have both the recurve limbs and the long bow limbs for the lynx.  The recurve limbs make a 58" bow and the long bow limbs make a 62" bow.  I would go as far to say that the recurve limbs are every bit as quiet and smooth as the long bow limbs.  It really is a great bow built by a great person.

Offline LoweBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
My understanding of "static tip" is that by increasing the curl of the limb it increases the "cast" of the limb which in turn increases the stored energy and speed.

I own a Belcher Thunderbird and must say...pound for pound prob the fastest bow I've ever owned.
Backwater Bowfishing Pro Staff.
MossyOak Pro Staff.
They can have my bow when it's pried from my cold dead fingers.

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
This is getting interesting!!

So what is my Black Widow PMA? Static?

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
im pretty sure black widows are working not static

Offline deaddoc4444

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Kempf makes a static limb Recurve  cant get better than his
HH Big 5 71# @29
Damon Howatt/Hunter 50@28
Damon Howatt/Ventura 45@28
Damon Howatt/Bushmaster 60@28
Leon Stewart/Slammer 52@28
BIG EAST  45@28
Fedora Xtreme/Hybrid 50@28
   "Leiber Hammer als Amboss"

Offline TommyBoy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Anybody out there make a Grumely static reproduction? You now, the one with the "brush buttons" or whatever they called it? I'm thinking about the picture of Fred Bear dragging the deer back to the cabin ...
TommyBoy

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
yes tommy there is a fella that makes them and i have his info some where i wull look and send it to you ut he does not have a web site that i know of

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I own a sovereign ballistik that is a static recurve.  It is very fast, smooth, and is on my never sell list.
There is a big difference between the old school static recurves with the thick wedges at the ends and the  new static designs.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Once owned a quite severe static recurve.

A booger to string, probably even more complicated due to my inept ability.

The bow would launch an arrow with quite evident authority.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
Now this is not from personal experience, I have never shot a static limb curve, but this is what I have read and it makes sense to me.  The static limb, does not unfold, maintains a larger string angle; therefore the draw is smoother and produces less "finger pinch."  Also, I assume they would be quieter because string slap is reduced if not eliminated because the limbs do not unfold.  However, this is speculation, most of the extra energy provided by a recurve compared to a long bow I would assume comes from the working limb concept.  The unfolding during the draw to be flexed back during the shot provides energy, and if well designed more speed.  

But when people discuss their fondness for about RER arroyos and Kwyk Styk's they almost always mention the fast speed.  So what do I know.

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I am a great believer in static recurves.  I killed my last elk with one.  I own two Salukis, they both shoot heavier arrows faster than you would think.  With the Ibex when the tips start to load the limbs draw feels lighter than it is.  And they look sooo cool.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Carl Miller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
I have 2 sovereign Ballistiks that are on my never sell list also.

The speed is generated because the limbs don't have to unfold.  They work as a lever more than a spring.

Carl

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
I have a RER Arroyo and it is 52#@28" and I never shot a static in my life till I traded for this one...It will flat out shoot an arrow out to 20/25 yards with no drop in my arrow...Now my shooting is very limited and when people mention no finger pinch this really makes me more interested in trying those type of bows....Here's a true observation from someone who has beafited from a static limb bow...I had my right hand severed in a logsplitter back in 1985 and after two hours time I finally got to a hospital in Baltimore to have it reattached....Very blessed to have it saved due to the time frame...It was pinned back together and with lots of therapy I shoot traditional bows still....I pull with that hand and shoot split finger and "Static" limbs on my RER has no finger pinch....It is a smooth shooting recurve but as I grow older I can say 52# is too much for me but I can still handle that weight due to the limb design....I may one day trade this bow but only for the same but lower poundage...The stactic design has it's beneafits so take it from a man it has helped....Keefer's <")))><

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©