3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS what does everyone like and use  (Read 717 times)

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS what does everyone like and use
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
DON'T go for a Magellan. I got one a year ago, and the maps recommended for the model weren't even compatible. It took another user to tell me this: customer support was no help at all.

Go with a Garmin. I use it at work, no complaints.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
The Garmin 60 series have been discontinued but are still available for substantially less than the 62 series.  I just bought a 60Csx and saved over  $160.00 compared to the 62.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by centaur:
Just saw the Garmin Summit HC online for $154. I have one, and it works great. Can't go wrong with a Garmin.
Thats what I have and love it!! The HC is a god sent when the tree canopy is thick!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline bowgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I use a Garmin Colorado.  It is really fun to use with the topo maps.  I have had a couple of problems with it though.  It froze up on me during the first hunt I used it on and I hadn't studied the manual enough so I didn't know that it could be restarted by pushing the two buttons on the front and the start button at the same time. At the time it was only 6 months old but it needed updated software also.  This year one of the $90 topo disks just quit working while it was sitting in a drawer.  I can't say enough good things about Garmin customer service though.  With the first problem they walked me through how to fix it and to download the latest software for it.  When the disk didn't work they sent me one free of charge.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Excel, You just made my day.

Which is the the latest version?
If you are talking about the map I'm not sure i just downloaded the one that was there. Was pretty accurate against paper maps we had.

As for the units the 62 series has only been out a year or two
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hoyt:
I like the Garmin 60CSx. It does everything I need and a lot more than I use. Don't see myself buying another one anytime soon unless this one croaks.
Ditto
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Just got a Garmin 62s a few months ago and it blows the eTrex away in sensitivity.  I could never get the eTrex to work under any kind of overhead cover, and up here in New England there isn't much real estate that isn't under the trees.  I've never had the 62s lose position; it actually locks in INSIDE the house!  The eTrex only worked when out in the open.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Etrex H series bt Garmin...$100 and works great

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
How long is the battery life on the yellow Etrex?  Do you need to keep it turned on at all times?

I would like to get one to, but technology and I don't get along to well.
Mike, you don't need to keep the unit on all the time so the batteries can last for some time. I used mine for 6 days on a hunt in Maine without changing batteries. You can leave it on to track your movement if you want to follow your trail out. I always carry a set of batteries with me just in case.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
I got Jason a Garmin 60CSX for his birthday before we went moose hunting.  Man isit a nice rig.  Now I need to figure a reason to get me one.

I have the Garmin Rino140 and really like it too.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
You can say i have been down the gps trail a time or two. Been ising garmin handheld uniys since the made them available back in the day. Currently im using a Garmin Oregon 400T and it is a nice unit. I look at gps units like i do optics, you get what you pay for. I would not buy a unit that didnt have a electronic compass, a high sensitive antenna and the ability to accept maps/cards. Do what you have to do to be sure you get a unit with these features. You need to have the ability to get a true bearing when standing still.

Also be sure to recalibrate your units electronic compass EVERY time you swap batteries. Most people overlook doing this and it can/will get you in a bind if you forget (I know about this firsthand)  I would stick with gamin units also. They have a good track record and accesories are plentyful.

My advice is to get a good unit from the start and you wont feel a need to upgrade later on. I can recommend the Oregon series in a heartbeat.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I use an old Garmin Legend C.  I've had it for close to 10 years and it still works fine.  You can load any maps you want including topo.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it does not have an electronic compass.  The next unit I buy will have an electronic compass and memory card slot to hold extra maps.

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
A Garmin Rhino 530 for when I hunt with Dad & brothers, who also have Rhino's. It's great to be able to keep track of one another on the map screen.

And a Garmin 60cx when I by myself or don't need a radio.

Both are great units

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
Garmin GPSMap 76csx. Same guts and high sensitivity reciever the 60cxs has but it's waterproof and floats too.

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
On a battery note if you really want to extend the battery life get yourself a decent set of rechargeable batteries. I can highly recommend Sony Enoloops. I have been using these batteries in a lot more demanding situations then a GPS and they are simply awesome. You should be able to get a couple sets with a charger for under $40
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline Chuck Wyatt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 02:27:00 AM »
As to GPS...I've used Magellan, Delorme and Garmin.  My fave of all is the Garmin 60csx. It just works, is tough and has a 20 hour battery life.

BTW, I've read where folks are concerned with battery life.  Passing on a tip....you don't have to have it on the whole time you are hunting/scouting/walking.

Turn it on before you leave camp or the vehicle.  Let it get a fix.  Mark the spot.  Once saved, turn off the GPS.  See something you want to mark while out.  Repeat as necessary: On/lock/mark/off.  

Now, if you want to go to any of the marked places later, turn on the GPS and let it get a lock.  Look in the list of marked points you set and click the one you want to go to.  Most handhelds will tell a waypoint's distance and bearing (in degrees) when you highlight the point in the save list.  Look at distance/bearing.  Dial in the bearing on a  regular compass.  Turn off the GPS and follow the compass for the distance indicated by the GPS. You should be toting a good compass anyway.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. -Mark Twain

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
etrex h  ... $80, simple, easy, accurate, high sensitivity for heavy wood cover, AA batts last a looong time, no topo maps but it sure is a lifesaver at times.  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Just got a Garmin Legend HCx and it seems like a nice unit for my needs (and budget).  Main things I was looking at was high sensitivity receiver and microSD card slot.  I have a card for each state I'll be hunting.  Used the free garmin compatible map listed earlier and a few others I found, plus    GPSBabel (free) which will export my waypoints and tracks into Google Earth.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Garmin is releasing a new series that's an update to the etrex line.  There's a 10, 20, and 30.  They're on the Garmin website.  I'd get the 20 or 30 depending on whether you want electronic compass or not.  Looks like a good line and starts out a lot less expensive than the Oregon or newer 62 series.

Online Benoli

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
Garmin etrex is the BOMB, light on bells and whistles but for the basics of getting to and fro it's fine. BUT, I will never go out without my compass as it has bailed out my GPS using friends twice. Both due to operator error not the unit.
One stick, one string and an arrow I'll fling!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©