3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recurve carrying Strap?  (Read 424 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve carrying Strap?
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Got a little elk hunt planned this sept.. Figure I'll be walking 10 to 15 miles a day. anybody out there making a sling that you can carry your recurve on your back over your pack? I got one in my head ..well sort of.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve carrying Strap?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
This  is the way Crooked Horn Outfitters adapts their packs for carrying a gun or bow.

In my own experience in elk country, I hunt from the moment I leave my tent, and I don't know of any time I'd want my bow strapped to the back of my pack.  I got the Crooked Horn pack, but ended up cutting off the bow carrier for that reason, and to save weight, as I definitely notice every extra ounce at 10,000'!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Not me, I have 2-3 hours each pre- morning in darkness and 2-3 hours in the evening darkness of hiking back to camp. I want both hands free to climb , work GPS etc, hold low glow light, read maps, etc . eliminate holding bow for 5 to 6 hours a day is huge gain for me. I want to  Strap it on and motor.

Got an idea ....will post pics later.......strap can be snatched off and bow ready to go in 1 second.....quick detach.... another project

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
I think Ozy Clint made one. I did a search but didn't find it. Maybe he will see this and comment. It seem real easy to make  and came off pretty quick. Would like to see your idea.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I am hunting going out and coming back into camp. The bow stays in my hand. If I need to cover ground quickly and will not be hunting I can strap my bow onto my Eberlestock.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Joe,

Steve Catts "The Leathersmith" makes a couple...

Check them out at:

http://www.hidehandler.com/Archery_accessories.htm

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
One of the best ways and products that I have found is a product called the "Bow Tote".
 It is designed especially for traditional bows.
For more information check out  www.bowtote.com.
 They work great and pack away with no extra weight. And in a jam can be used for lots of things.

Tim
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
I think a cheap piece of rope would work.  But I have to say anybody  capable of hunting 20 hours a day doesn't need a bow sling :-)  

And yes, 2-3 in the dark in the AM and 2-3 hours in the pm may even be longer than 20 hours. Seriously.  In most of the west you will have 15 hours of daylight in Sept.

Many things kick my butt in elk camp, but holding the bow isn't one of them.  In fact, sometimes that bow is a great touchstone to get you through the grind.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I just took a gun sling and attached two string loops, one on each end. Then when I'm walking I put the sting loops over the tips of my bow and make sure they slip down a couple of inches from the end of my bow. Throw the sling over my head to the shoulder opposite my bow. The straps can be adjusted to the height you want to carry your bow and for about $7- 10 at Wallyworld you have a bow carrier.I carry mine horizontal, but with a variance on attachment to your bow it could be carried vertical.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:55:00 AM »
Joey,

I second Tim Nuss' recommendation of the Bow Tote strap.  It is a light, quick, and versatile "tool" for your application.  I think it is a good value at its price, too.

I have to walk with a cane (or two) because of medical trouble, and getting equipment to the field is tricky.  With the Bow Tote strap, I was able to safely haul my blind, my Waldrop seat, AND my bow in a single trip... and still stay on my feet!

It's well worth checking out...  Good luck in your search.
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Got it almost figured out.  I am going to tap my riser to accommodate a female Quick detachable gun sling swivel. I'll drill at top and bottom of sight window side of my bow. Then fashion a shoulder strap with male swivel push button connect.

Another benefit for bow strap is climbing up and down trees without use of tow rope.  Just sling over your back and climb.

Sling will weigh almost nothing and roll up and fit nicely in my pocket.

The push button swivels aren't my first choice. Wish they made the male connector that you didn't have to push.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Joebuck, I invented one for my trip to Mongolia, where I thought we would be riding horses in the mountains(turns out I only rode a camel). I used a cheap padded nylon rifle sling that I bought on clearance somewhere for $2. At the ends for attachment to the bow, I used "toggle" straps, I don't remember the actual name for them, I got them in the camping dept., maybe basspro? All they are is a rubber band about 6" long made from a ring of inner tube, with a toggle or knob attached, that is 3/8" in diameter and 2" long, you just put band around the bow and the toggle throught the other end. They have no metal or velcro, so taking them off is silent. There is no permanent attachment to the bow, so you can change it infinitely or use the strap and toggles for something else.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
That'll work Joey!  I used the HS bow sling on my recurves and just wrap the buckle strap around my quiver arm or handle and then attach the sling as needed, works great and is nice to carry the bow on your back and keep your hands free, especially when walking in the dark, carrying equipment, or especially dragging out game.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks Rick and Mark.....great ideas.....fashioned a homemade one and Gator taped to my bow/sling exactly where I might need the mounts or bungee.  Very comfortable.......will update........for the record, I'm not one that worships my bow.....it's just a tool to get meat....I'll drill, whittle or sand on it in a heartbeat.

hawk eye!  Hope all is well...good hearing from you

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
I also have one of the Bow Totes and want to say it is the best "third hand" you can find for carrying your recurve or longbow. It is adjustable and comes off very easiy and quickly when the bow is brought up for the shot. It is also well made and and not expensive. I will not go hunting without mine.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 06:16:00 PM »
Joey, I don't mind modifying my stuff either, I modify nearly everything, in fact I am trying to avoid buying anything new, because I just don't need anymore projects! I went with the toggle straps instead of something more solid, just because I didn't know how it would work out, what works great in my living room, dosn't always pan out so well on the side of a mountain and I never know when I might have to use my sling as a belt(happened).

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
I use a bow hook attached to my belt and my recurve with quiver balances and rides perfectly with quick access. If I need two hands for scrambling etc. I mount the bow into the gun/bow sling of my Badlands 2800 pack.

Offline Rick McGowan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
Joey, have you looked at the Pachmayr type swivels? They are kind of hard to find, but if I was going to install one on a bow, that what I would use. No buttons or mechanical parts and nearly invisible when installed. Its just a steel cup that screws into a hole and a TEE shape on the sling side that goes into a slot and turns 90 degrees.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Rick, those are nice. Exactly what I'm looking for .  Thanks..will look at those hard,

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
You ever thought about just taking Marty with you and let him be your bow bearer? Just a thought.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©