3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Mid top hiking boot  (Read 655 times)

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
Mid top hiking boot
« on: May 13, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Can someone recommend a good all around mid-top hiking boot with an aggresive sole that I can use during elk season?  Recently I looked at some made by Morrel/Pategonia/Keen and they all seemed to be well made, but I don't know much about them.  Can they hold up in the mountains?

During last years elk hunt I used Danner boots, but they seemed a little heavy/bulky for climbing mountains and they gave me blisters on my blisters.  

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Moon

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Mid top hiking boot
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
The main difference between Keen and the others is the fit.  Keen fits people who have wide feet in the front and narrow heels.  All the other boots, however fine they may be, give me blisters or corns on my little toe because their last is not the same as my foot.  So I only wear Keen boots for hunting, backpacking, etc., now.

Of course, your foot is probably a different shape than mine is, so you have to experiment for yourself.  But good fit is by far the most important thing, with everything else being a distant second.

This also includes so-called "custom made" boots, which don't fit my feet as well as Keen boots do.  They should, but I have to assume they aren't quite as "custom made" as they would lead you to believe.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »
Thanks, McDave.  Of the one's mentioned, I liked the Keens the best.  I wear size 11D and the extra room up front felt really good.  I just hate the blisters just like everyone else.
Moon

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
As long is there is not too much snow on the ground, I really like my Assolo backpacking boots for elk hunting.  I have the Sasslongs which seem to fit narrower feet pretty well but they have several models in the sturdy boot category.  Check out Sierra Trading Post for some decent deals.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
asolo 520 or 535. 520 has gortex 520 does not
$250.00 range

Online 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
oops! 535 does not have gortex

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Merrell's are what I find the most comfortable and what I wear to work and hunt in.  Some of the models are not very durable and I wear them out quickly but they are very comfortable.

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
I love the Vasque Wasatch boots, mine are my go to elk /everything Boots until the snow forces pac boots
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I have used Vasque, Kayland and Merrell.....without a doubt the Merrells all ways fit better and lasted the longest.....
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
I love Merrells. The Merrell Reflex has been a favorite of mine for years. Really like the Perimeter model as well. Both have Gore-Tex. I have tried the cheaper Merrell models, just waterproof, not Gore-Tex, and have found they make my feet stink bad. Plus, not as comfortable.

For elk hunting, I think you might like the Perimeter model. I have only seen that model on the Merrell website.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I have a pair of Kenetrek "Hardscrabble" Hikers that that work very well for me in all conditions. Great boots in my opinion.

Tim
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
My Keen experience has been that they are very comfortable, but wear out really fast. Like Shedrock, I like Merrells, but I have also had good success with HiTecs, which aren't very expensive but seem to last well.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Scott Teaschner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
I have gone through a pile of boots most fit but seemed to only get a season out of them. Danners imported boots never seem to hold up and there throw aways and you can't resole them. I find any boot that is rebuildable a better value. They may be a little more money at first. But after a few rebuilds you will be money a head. Whites Boots make a solid lace to toe boot called Dri Boot its very rugged but to heavy for my liking. I put my money on Kenetrek its a light weight boot even the insulated models. Its a very rugged boot and has a great tread. They require very little breaking in. I had a pair of boots that where crippiling me while guiding. When I got out of camp I went to Bozeman and bought a pair derictly from Kenetrek. They said they would need a little breaking in but they felt like slippers compared to my others. That was two seasons ago with hard use and no problems. Kenetreks are resoleable which I feel makes them a better value than say Lowas and other high end boots that are not rebuildable. They also have a rockered sole which really cuts down on fatigue you dont have to flex that sole as much walking and it is a tremendous advantage in rough country. I dont know if they even mention that in there advertiseing but its great.
Scott
Don't ever try to be like any body else and don't ever be affraid to take risks. Waylon Jennings
Honesty is something you cant wear out. Waylon Jennings

Offline nightowl1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:53:00 PM »
Many many miles in my keens. The waterproof work really well.

The keens fit my foot perfect and make a world of difference on my long treks after hogs in the swamps.
Combo Hunter 46@28

I came from nothing and I brought it with me.

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 01:12:00 AM »
The best boot for you is the one that fits best.

I have relativley narrow feet and Vasque fits me better than any other major make of boot, including Merrell, Danner, Redwing, Asolo, Keen, etc.  I own two pair of Danners, which a are a close second.  The Danners are great with large bulky socks but let my foot slide side to side a little on steep sidehills.

Try on as many different brands as possible.  I suggest you have your feet measured because the recommended size may be based as much on your arch length as your width and total foot length.  Good Luck!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 03:58:00 AM »
Go to a REI store, they usually have many different models you can try on.  There are several stores in the Austin area.  You might look at the Lowa Renegade boots.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 06:35:00 AM »
LL Bean Gore-Tex Cresta Hikers.  I have logged a lot of miles in mine.  Great boot.  LL Bean carries high quality products and stand behind them 100%.  These boots come in three widths as well.  

Another excellent boot is the Vasque Sundowner.  Owned several of these over the years.  Rock solid.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Another vote for Keens. Probably not the most durable as I'm on my third pair in five years, but for me the fit and comfort can't be beat. I wear them nearly 365days/year hunting, hiking and for my work boots as a residential carpenter.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »
All great suggestions so far. Find the pair that fit your feet and
put many miles on them before heading to the mountains after elk to get them good and broken in. Your feet will be happier.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
there are a lotta great boots out there, but as others have mentioned, the FIT is PARAMOUNT and most everyone's feets is different.  try b4 ya buy!

i've been very happy with a pair of hi-tec ultra-lite altitudes, which were recommended by an oregon park ranger.  right on.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©