3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New String sounds like guitar string  (Read 151 times)

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
New String sounds like guitar string
« on: May 14, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
My new endless loop string of fast flight type material sounds like the lowest guitar string being plucked. First time I have ever experienced this. Needs time to stretch? Different material than before? My other strings are Dyna 97 and 8125, this one is 16 strands of TS-1 Plus. Thoughts?    :help:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: New String sounds like guitar string
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
put on some hush puppy silencers.  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Just put my 8125 string back on for comparison and it's night and day !! Brace height is the same, arrows fly fine.....
If anyone has info about this string material please let me know. The guy at my local shop said it's the replacement for Fast Flight material, which is what I have read from Brownell as well.
The Dyneema97 and the 8125 make absolutely no sound, so I think the bow disagrees with this TS-1.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
yep, not all string fibers work best with every bow - or is it the other way around?  

df'97 and f8125 are dyneema hmpe variants, as is ts-1.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
When my mom said "I didn't raise any fool", she was talking about my brothers....I just put a beaver fur silencer on the upper end of the string and now the noise is gone    :knothead:  
Believe it or not, I thought silencers were to cut down on the sound of string as it cut through the air and I didn't realize it took care of that vibration and guitar string sound...I am humbled; and now I'm going for a beer if I can figure out how to open one...   :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
Thanks Rob for your help !!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
The quietest bow I have will "twang" loudly when the string is bare. Homemade wool puffs and it goes from guitar to dead silent.

All my strings will. So although it goes against the mantra that you should get your bow quiet "BEFORE" putting some kind of silencer on the string...I don't.  They all get some wool or rubber before I go out and try 'em.
Micah 6:8

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »
Soilarch, I should have known better as none of my strings have ever been without a fur silencer. When I get the strings made I usually ask for the silencer to be installed at the time, however this time I went without. The sound surprised me quite a bit. Now I've learned something as a result because I was able to hear the actual sound that is being quieted by the silencer. Thanks for your input !
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
The first thing I do when I install a new bowstring and I'm shooting 10-12 GPP (grains per pound) arrows is to put a pair of home made wool yarn puffs on. I had to do this when I switched to shooting a 2212 aluminum arrow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©