3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Three fingers under problem  (Read 266 times)

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Three fingers under problem
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
I've been trying three fingers under.   When my index finger touches the bottom of the arrow often times as I draw the arrow falls off the shelf.   Is this normal and how do I correct it?   I don't like to look down, I just put my fingers on the string and slide them up.".      Thanks, Dale
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Three fingers under problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »
with 3fu style of string grip, the nock must lightly snap onto the center serving.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I use two nocks, tied on adjustable ones. I nock the arrow, then place my fingers where they will be throughout the shot sequence. No sliding my fingers on the string. I expect you are bumping or pinching the nock against the nock-point.

Also, by having the arrow between 2 nock points it won't slide down. This way I don't have to squeeze it against the nock point. I leave a small gap between my finger and the arrow. As Rob said, the nock must snap onto the serving, lightly. If it's too tight arrow flight will be affected.

A bonus for me with 2 nock points is when an arrow nock is a little loose, I can give the bottom one a slight twist, which pushes it against the arrow nock to hold it in place.

Don't forget that if your finger is against the arrow nock at the start of the shot sequence, it will squeeze it as you draw and the string angle increases. That's why I leave a small gap, by the time I get to full-draw, my finger is just lightly touching the arrow nock.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
This happens to me as well when I don't take a deep enough hook with my fingers.  If you hook outside the last knuckle on the pads of the fingers your fingers when becoming tense will roll the string counter clockwise (for right handed shooter) which can cause the arrow to come off the shelf.  By taking a deeper hook (at or past the first knuckle) the fingers will roll the string  clockwise and keep the arrow tight to the shelf.  This has worked for me.  I also use two clamp on nocks - one above and one below the arrow.  When I switched to 3 under I started following Ricky Welch's shooting advice and he recommends gripping the string on the outer part of the finger pad, but this hasn't worked well for me yet.

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Mine is kind of a combination of Robs and Danny's.  Been shootin Apache since the late 60's  

I use a clamp on nock above and a tied on one below the point.  The lower one for me is a pretty tight fit to my arrow nock.  I let my index finger touch the arrow nock from the start.  My "hook" is just shy of the first joint.  I have been shooting this way so long that I instinctively allign the joints and maintain equal pressure on the string with all three fingers. Practice, practice...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:51:00 PM »
As I read this medicine man is having problems at the shelf not the nock.
You are rotating your string hand counter clockwise (if you are a rightie) swinging the shaft off the shelf. Try pulling straight back and also try keeping the string a little closer towards the finger tips if you are past the first knuckle. Canting the bow will help too.   :thumbsup:

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm trying to understand this nock tightness issue mr rob-- are u saying if the nock is too tight this might be part of the problem?
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline moebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
Bjorn has it!  Medicine man, go to the "shooter's forum" and find my thread called "release tips".  That may give you an idea for your string hand/wrist.  The video shows me shooting split finger but it works just as well for 3 under.
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Flingbow has it right, " not hooking deep enough on your fingers".

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Listen to Bjorn.   :thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Thanks.  I'll check the forum tonight. I do shoot right handed.     I recently went to Rick welch's class and had no problem with this there but do now.  Thanks
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
at times i'll shoot "gun barrel" 2 fingers under the arrow (not 3 fingers).  with two fingers (middle and ring OR pointer and middle), there is no bottom limb tillering issue because as with with split finger, the vast majority of the load is still on yer "bird" or pointer finger.

to keep the arrow on the serving, i replace my "split finger" bowstring (with it's smaller diameter .019" halo center serving) with my "two finger" .024" halo center served bowstring.  this is enuf to keep bohning signature nocks on the string with my low string angle longbows.  i have no need for a nock point under the arrow, but that's just me.

as with most of this archery stuff, you'll need to see what works best for ya.  so for the hardware, you can trial a better/"tighter" nock to serving fit, as well as add on a bottom string nock point.  for the "software", experiment with different finger hook depths.

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks,   I'll keep working at it
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
I'm with Bjorn as well.    :thumbsup:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
oh!  arrow falling off the shelf!  what bjorn said!  geez, i need new glasses and a better brain.  :D

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
I recently went to 3 under and at firstI  had a Similar problem but I compensated for it and it went away
Arrow_Flynn

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
You are making a fist or curling your fingers as you draw and twisting the string pulling the arrow of the shelf, nock wont rotate on the string if your fingers are against it, hold your fingers straighter.

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
What bjorn said! Its all in your form.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
The draw and anchor is in the whole hand and arm up to the elbow. It is more than your fingers. This is what I do.

First, if you take your draw hand and curl your three fingers only you will notice that you can still easily move your wrist. My goal is to get you to the point where your hand, wrist and fore-arm is firm as if you were getting ready to throw a punch. This will get your arm to line up in a straight line when you get to full draw.

Practice this by making a fist with the thumb on top of your hand

Then keeping the fingers in tight, extend the fingers like this...my fingers are not relaxed but tight as if there was a grip on the tips...

Then take the thumb and put it on the pinky covering the nail. You will notice tension in your hand and forearm and it should be difficult to move the wrist when everything is tight.

If you take your anchor hand and put it up against your face in this position you will notice the thumb on the pinky will probably line up with your jaw line. This gives you an anchor point.

With the fingers closed and the top or index in the corner of the mouth you will have two anchor points.

Upon release the finger just open and the tension in the arm up to the elbow will keep the hand closer to the face.

The fat lip is from Copenhagen and it is optional.

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help!
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©