3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Extreme FOC shooters…which arrow set up for this new trad guy?  (Read 216 times)

Offline M1LLz

• Trad Bowhunter
I am very interested in extreme FOC and according to Stu Miller's calculator, these two arrow set ups will work. I'm just wondering if the 611 grain set up is too slow?? Thanks for the help.

Bob Lee Stick, 42# @ 28. My draw is 29 3/4.

1. Axis 340 Black. 31 1/8". 200 grain point with 100 grain insert. 3 Rayzr feathers on back. 611 grains. 13.1 gpp. 23.4% FOC. 155 fps.

2. Axis 400 Black. 31 3/8". 125 grain point with 100 grain insert. 3 Rayzr feathers on back. 522 grains. 11.2 gpp. 20.2% FOC. 166 fps.

I'm very interested in the heavier setup. Just wondering it will be too much for my bow to handle.

You EFOC guys...what would you shoot?

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Extreme FOC shooters…which arrow set up for this new trad guy?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Not sure the two set-ups you mentioned actually flew great or were just on paper. Any time my set-ups approach the the mid EFOC and above range,  my results increasingly differ from Stu's calc. For instance my bow's required dynamic spine is 70# where my actual arrow is 40#s.

Too heavy???..Primarily depends are your personal effective range. For instance - there is far much too much arrow drop for you personally from 20 to 25 yards and your effective range is 25 yards.
If your personal effective range is 20 yards max, then you may find your trajectory perfectly adequate.

You would not be alone in choosing the 13.1 gpp set-up. Choose the one which shoots best.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:39:00 PM »
I would not be surprised if bare-shafting and paper-tuning indicated you are a bit spine stiff.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm thinking you might be a bit stiff as well with those arrow choices.

Make sure you are entering the correct center-cut measurement in Stu's calc. including the side-plate measurement added on or you can throw out the results altogether.

If it were me, I would go with the 522 grain setup, if indeed it is spined right.

My specs on my setup are in my signature below.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
You do what ya gotta do...  But those little rayzr feathers might not be enough..  I played with them and found four worked for 3D but I could not get good stabilization with heavy front end weight....

Good luck
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Friend:
 Any time my set-ups approach the the mid EFOC and above range,  my results increasingly differ drom Stu's calc. For instance my bow's required dynamic spine is 70# where my actual arrow is 40#s.
there have been many cases such as this reported to Stu. I have built and tested a couple myself.

Stu has no explanation.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Stu's calculator is a good tool but I noticed the same thing,as you get into higher FOC's,it doesn't correlate.

I can tell you one setup I had for a 43# '59 Grizzly recurve.I drew it to maybe 45#.

30" Goldtip 5575 Trad.250 gr total front end weight including point,insert and footing.5" 3 fletch and 9" cap wrap.Total arrow weight was 568 grs and actual chronoed speed was 148 fps.12.6 grs ppd of bow weight.FOC was 21%.

Going with a black shaft would reduce weight overall weight app. 30 grs and raise FOC slightly.

Also,forget Stu's for speed.His speeds are usually higher than actual.No problem there.In general,I would say forget speed just get tuned and use the weight that you like.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
This is my setup , 42@28 whisperstik mojo . I pull to 31 and get roughly 50 lbs out of this bow. I use beman mfx 500 arrows with two 100 gr brass insert and one 125 gr brass insert with the 5 degree taper. I then put on a 250 gr head and these tune up very well. The shaft is left full length and i think the extra inserts in the front stiffen up that end some . These come in around 840 grs and hit hard and shoot well.
I think with the arrows you mention you will be overspinned but each of us is different and only you can make the final choice on what shoots for you.  Good luck Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
If you can take a Big 3 1.5" 3-Blade BH and place it virtually touching a fletched arrow w/field point from 5 to 25 yards, your are hardly underspined nor overspined.

My personal set-up does just that.

51 @ 28 (1/8" past center)

Victory HV 350...29.5"(6.7 gpi)...100g insert...300 gn head...615 g total...32% Ultra-EFOC

"Bow's required dynamic spine is 70# where my actual arrow is 40#s".

When shooting these arrows, virtually all I see is the nock. Please attempt to reserve comments concerning  the flight characteristics and performance of Ultra-EFOC arrows until you have fully experienced them for yourselves. If the set-up proves all hype for you, then just scrap it and you will know first hand. Note: These types of set-ups were difficult and cumbersome to develop in the past. Not now!

Don't miss out on a great possible enhancement which you can easily discern the advantage. This set-up completely disentegrated a 1 yr guarenteed 18 in 1 Rhinehart in less than a month.
The results should not have even been expected from an extremely high powered set-up. My results for this particualr set-up proved not to be all hype and just on paper.

Also, try to acknowledge ,as drewsbow noted, that a particular set-up may work for one and not another.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
My wife shoots 45# and  her arrows weigh right at 500 grains. Even with 3 and four blade heads she gets two holes on deer and bear. In either case, the determining factor should be which arrow shoots the straightest.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Sorry but I think the 340 will be too stiff even with 425 up front out of that bow and poundage. The 400 will be definitely stiff no doubt about it. I am shooting 40#s at 29" draw and shooting a 600 spine at 30"s with 190 grains up front and they fly perfect. You may get away with a 32" .500 spine with 275 up front. Sorry but Stu's calculator is plain off on some of what it recommends. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by M1LLz:
I am very interested in extreme FOC and according to Stu Miller's calculator, these two arrow set ups will work. I'm just wondering if the 611 grain set up is too slow?? Thanks for the help.

Bob Lee Stick, 42# @ 28. My draw is 29 3/4.

1. Axis 340 Black. 31 1/8". 200 grain point with 100 grain insert. 3 Rayzr feathers on back. 611 grains. 13.1 gpp. 23.4% FOC. 155 fps.

2. Axis 400 Black. 31 3/8". 125 grain point with 100 grain insert. 3 Rayzr feathers on back. 522 grains. 11.2 gpp. 20.2% FOC. 166 fps.

I'm very interested in the heavier setup. Just wondering it will be too much for my bow to handle.

You EFOC guys...what would you shoot?
as a relative trad newbie, i wouldn't at all be concerned with efoc.

have arras that begin at 10gpp (looks like yer there already) and get them to fly well.  

work on form and consistent accuracy with the good tools you already have and you'll be ahead of lots of trad archers who've been in the game for years, or even decades.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
hi, here is a couple of my setups. Morrison shawnee 60" 48@28 my draw 27.5 Montana classic whip 60" 51@28 - this one needed a 1/16 shim to get arras going well. easton axis 500 28.5" or axis 400 29.75 both with 300 up front - i start with full lenght arra +300gr point bareshaft- remove knock and cut .5" at a time you will very easy see how the arra start to react stiffer as you get close take a break and start to cut .25" at a time. You want to be a little weak as arra will react stiff to wraps and feathers - by a little weak i would say 1"off the target . This is not hard to do -just take a a good break before you cut them all -to short if so add more
weight up front. My setup approx 600-620grain and my expensive target did not last very long - penetration on game with 3blade - out the other side.  Enjoy heavy arra so does your bow.
Asgeir

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn; 340s are way too stiff for your bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©