3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alaknak Tents  (Read 359 times)

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
Alaknak Tents
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Anybody have one, & how do you like it?

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alaknak Tents
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
The search feature on here is a wonderful thing.

It's right under all the adds up top.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline greg meyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I don't have an Alaknak but do have a Bighorn II which has similar fabric.  I really like everything about it.  It has performed beautifully in all kinds of weather.  

Hope you get some information about the Alaknak.

Greg

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I bought one back in 2000. Our family of 5 has camped in it for years. It has alot of space and has been through alot of rough weather and still stays dry. We love ours!

Offline gordonf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
I've owned one for years. It is an excellent tent.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:10:00 AM »
I bought one several years ago after Brian Wessel's caught my eye in Pig Gig camp.  Mine has performed well, from extreme wind to monsoons.
Gary Logsdon

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
I bought one and took it to texas pig hunting.Was fine until it rained. It leaked like a seive. Seriously, the flap for the stove jack is upside down. It is open on the uphill(peak) side. So when rain runs down the roof it goes right in the flap.Plus the windows are in the roof and made of plastic(same as a jeep)And I think in time when the plastic cracks it is the only thing to keep the rain out. I think they are very poorly designed.I sent it back to cabelas as soon as we got home. I have since purchased the cabelas montana lodge. And it is harder to set up then the alaknak but it is a way better tent.Now my brother has the older alaknak 20x16 or what ever size and it does not have the windows in the roof or the upside down flap. His flap rolls up from the bottom up.But they must of had problems with that design unrolling and melting on the flue.I cant think of any other reason they would have changed it.I would rate the tent a 4 out of ten.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:40:00 AM »
I've had mine 5 or 6 years.  Love it.  It is a little hot for warm weather camping, but just right for hunting trips.  Mine is the 12x12 and is a little tight for our family of 4 but it is luxurious for 2 guys hunting out of it.

There are some pics from last weekend in this thread   Michigan Longbow Spring Shoot  

And here are a couple more from a couple Novembers ago.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
Got the 12 X 12, with the vestable, floor, and the spark shield, for the stove.  All in all it is a very good tent, there are times that I wish it was a canvas tent as there is nothing that compares to the calming effect that the smell of canvas and wood smoke can have ones outlook!  Not to mention that it is a great cure for cabin fever!
Setting the whole tent up goes easy, the biggest trouble is finding a place big enough to put it.  From tie rope end to tie rope end you can be close to 40-45 feet in length, and 25-30 feet wide.  As far as amenities goes, it is a great tent for comfort 2 guys and gear fit perfectly, 3 guys and gear is not to bad.  It is a warm tent in warmer weather, I've had mine up in below zero weather and have not had to use my stove, one of my hunting buddies that goes with me insist that we put the electric heater in, I don't care to have it going while I am sleeping, yes I like it cold, but it is nice having it in the morning getting out of bed.
With all that said I am not really a fan of Cabela's or most of their gear, but they do make a great tent, I have this one and the Outback Lodge, both are good/great tents, for the money.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I have had mine for 3 years and love it. Plenty of room for 3 adult bowhunters with equipment. I have the 12x12. Do you guys use the cabelas stove or what do you recomend. I am thinking of getting a stove and the extra flooring and spark shield this year.

The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Camp Chef builds a stove just like the Cabela's one, except it is a lower cost, and higher quality stove.
Thanks,
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Thanks Tim i will check it out!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 01:03:00 AM »
I have the extra floor and "spark shield" for my 12X12 footer.  It's been setup for days in high winds and heavy rains without any leaking or sagging problems.  The high ceiling is a welcome feature too.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 01:06:00 AM »
Steve, did you ever have your's at the Chaparossa Ranch?  I looked at one down there which inspired me to buy my own the next year . . . thought that it belonged to Brian Wessel but I could be mistaken as he had someone else with him.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
When I was down in TX on the PigGig, I was sleeping in my van, down by the river...   :D . Wessel does have one, that must have been it Gary.

I do not have the extra floor or roof spark shield, but I should get them.  I have had NO issues with my Alaknak for sure. No leaks and mine must be old enough that the stove jack is sewn on the right way.  With the alleged desing flaw of new models not withstanding, the ventilation is MUCH improved over my model;  Ryan Rothhaar bought one just last year and I was jealous.

I bought a cylinder stove from Joe Lasch at Prarie Traditions.  It has a good long chimney, a damper, and I built myseld a spark gaurd out of hardware cloth.  No burn holes yet and I love to run the wood stove.  Ran it last weeken at the Michigan Longbow Shoot to take out the chill in the morning.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
We used one in Texas ONCE. Wind ripped centre pole rigging at peak clean out of tent. Cabelas did replace it no questions asked on way home. Other than that it's a good set up.
hunt it

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Two dogs.     I went with the Spike Tent ( 12 by 12) by Montana Canvas.  comes with floor and all bell and whistles like Alaknak with ability to add stuff plus choice of fabric. I added extra windows. I have a 2 x 3 foot window in each side. All windows have screens. This is huge in warmer climates and temps. Be sure to get a ceiling damper that let's moisture out. Also huge plus for Montana Canvas. Spike is it comes with a Fly cover over the tent itself.. NO Leak.. You have choices of fabric , I went with the lighter color to reflect light.       Montana Spike...check it out
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Sleeping in a van might be a good idea when those dust storms kick up!  The stove I have was a freebie that Cabelas was including with the Alakanak at the time.  It's not bad, however I'm betting that I'd be better off with something closer to the one you have.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Sorry about the late post.  I was responding to something that Steve O said.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
For those who did not get my reference earlier and maybe more for those that did, this will brighten your Monday!

Down by the River...  

More to the point, Alaknak=good base camp tent.  You are not going to pack it in, but it will give you good shelter near the road.  I have left mine up for the month of November with no issues.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©