3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ? on string material  (Read 239 times)

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
? on string material
« on: May 15, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
I`m in the process of learning how to make my own strings. I`ve had some good help on making my jig from the fine folks here and now I need to learn about material. After a recent post on a recurve string I needed i`m assuming i`ll be using a B50 Dacron to make strings for my bows. I`m not sure about serving material and would like to know what everyone is using as far as material type, dia., etc. and also what kind of wax to use.

Many Thanks,
          Burch

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ? on string material
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
The cheapest one to learn with is #4 or #400 (nylon).  I like 62XS followed by Halo.

What size depends on what string material you are using, how many strands, and what type nock you are serving the string for.

I pour my own wax--it's a simple blend of bee's wax and a silicone based wax--gives the the right mix so it's not too soft, but tacky.

Chad

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by LBR:
The cheapest one to learn with is #4 or #400 (nylon).  I like 62XS followed by Halo.

What size depends on what string material you are using, how many strands, and what type nock you are serving the string for.

I pour my own wax--it's a simple blend of bee's wax and a silicone based wax--gives the the right mix so it's not too soft, but tacky.

Chad
Is this material Dacron ?  The knock I use is a simple tie on.

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Burch, Chad is right, nylon is the foundation that many of us have used. It has "served" us well, for many years!

I still use it today. Not the toughest or slickest serving made, but very affordable for the beginner and veteran!

At anytime, if needed, you can reserve and be shootin again, with little cost and many colors available.

Then you can experiment with other types to  find your preferd material!

You can use any for tied on nocks, whether it be nylon, dacron, fast flight etc. for that purpose!

Good twistintg to ya!

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 05:57:00 AM »
I use B50 Dacron because I'm too chicken to try the newer stuff especially on my older bows, you will not be dissapointed.

Serving I also use #4 Nylon, like the others have said it's very affordable & works very well.

For the tied nock I'll use some Red B50, quite strong & if done right can be adjustable till you get the nock height where you want it.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©