3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon arrow selection.  (Read 137 times)

Offline SaMbO2

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbon arrow selection.
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Hey guys im in need of some new arrows and am wanting carbons I have shot carbons before but never really new what I needed and never bare shafted tuned anything witch I am wanting to do but to start off I need to choose the right shaft. I dont like Bemans Ive had bad things happen to them and am not wanting to get more and have them go bad as well. Ive looked at Arrow Dynamics traditional ,and Hammer heads I like those but dont know if they will work well out of my set up and dont know how well they bare shaft easy or hard, any opinions would be great!

My set up will be T/D recurve at around 55#

Draw length is 30 3/4 I would like my shafts to be a half inch longer then my draw.

Any help would be great I really dont know were to start in getting what i need and I would hate to spend the money on something and have it turn out way wrong and I know you guys know what your talking about.

Thanks for your time and God Bless.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon arrow selection.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
There is only one way to do this correctly and that is to buy a test kit and start full length and cut as you go.  Every bow is different and therefore needs the arrow tuned to it.  Dont waste money by guessing opr useing charts. Charts get you in the ball park but there is only one way to know for sure and that is trying some different spined shafts at different lengths

For example I have 2 bows same maker same model one is 55# the other 57# one likes a 400 spined arrow with a 100 grain insert and a 125 head cut at 29 the other the 57# one likes a 340 cut at 28 with a 100 grain insert and a 125 grain head makes no sense but it is what it is
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
SaMbO2, my bows are in the 58-63# range and I draw a little over 31" with a recurve and a little less than that with a longbow so my stats are close to yours.  My not cut to center longbows I shoot GT 55/75 (.400 spine) at 32.25" and 175gr tip.  My cut past center recurves I shoot CX Heritage 350 (~.320 spine) at 32" with 145gr tip.  I have found with a longer draw and long arrows you need a little stiffer spine arrows and it is more difficult to get the high FOC that a lot of people here strive for.  They still work very well though.  Good luck...Shawn

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
I love the AD trad and Hammerhead arrows.  They are the only carbons that fly well out of my bows.  Don't bother bareshafting them though.  They don't always bare shaft well for some reason but for me they fly better than any other carbon when fletched. The tapered design will give you more FOC and better fletching clearance.  I am shooting a 52 @ 28 Black Widow recurve and the AD trads full length fly great with 175 grain points. The trad lights shoot great with 125 grain points when cut to 29.5 inches.  Good luck with whatever you choose.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
What is your bad experience with the Beman and which shaft are you referring to? If you haven't tried the MFX Classics, then you should give it a whirl.  What part of Iowa are you located in? If anywhere near the Linn County area, I could give you some help...

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©