3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One nocking pt or two?  (Read 379 times)

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
One nocking pt or two?
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
About two years ago I was having trouble getting arrows to fly with out up and down.  They always show nock high.  Ken Beck told me to put on two noching points.  Now, I know why.

Took the Rod Jenkins seminar this weekend.  He was at Lancaster and they took high speed video of him shooting with ONE.  You could see at the instant of release that the arrow slid down the string.  He shoots three under and I'd guess it's worse for split - hence my above problem solved by KB and explained by RJ.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One nocking pt or two?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Yup, Ken's suggestion for two nocking points solved a similar problem for me too.  I couldn't get any arrow to fly out of my Widow PSAV without hitting the shelf unless the nocking point was so high that I couldn't get broadheads to fly right at all.  Using two nocking points allowed me to lower the nocking point by almost 1/4", and now the broadheads fly as well as field points.  By replacing those brass nocking points with simple thread wraps I saved unecessary string weight as well.  Win win!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
For as long as I can remember I've always used 2 nock locators & once tuned right I've never had any flight issues.

I also like the string nock instead of the brass ones because of weight, & feel.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline medicineman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
How far apart should the two nocking point be?
TGMM--Family of the Bow-

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by medicineman:
How far apart should the two nocking point be?
What I do is set the first nock on the bottom for the approximate height I need it for tuning, then I'll have the one on top just high enough to have a little slack room for the arrow nock "this way you are not pinching the arrow nock when drawn" then adjust both up & down to fine tune the bow to the arrow.

After you tune the nocking point you can use fletch tight on the string nock to lock into place.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
I had a similar conversation with Ken a few years ago with similar results. I can't thank him enough.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I've never had any problem with tuning arrows to fly. I've always used "one" brass nock and I've always set the nock height 5/8" high off the shelf. BTW, I shoot split finger. One over, two under.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I like two tie-on nocking points,been doing this for over 15 years.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
i use 2. both made from dental floss. it works for me

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
I use two also.  :thumbsup:  

Bill

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I've just started the tie on a little over a month ago cause my Little Hoots Recurve had one on that Lee did himself...I since made 3 strings and tried different string counts and I served/tied a nock above and below...I noticed the biggest difference in my arrow groups instantly...I'll "NEVER" crimp a brass nock on again and the good thing is you won't tear up your finger tips on the gloves....Now a question for the tie on that uses the 1/2 knot over then under method where most people do around 10 of the 1/2 knots...Do you pull the 1/2 knot super tite or just barely snug and then super glue after you fine tune?  I have noticed I couldn't screw mine up or down with the 1/2 knot method? That's with no super glue if I'm making any sence?  I have to say this thread has really been a great help to not just myself but lots of members here and I think before we all know it we will all have tie on nocks from here on...  :archer:

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 06:48:00 PM »
I use two tied-on adjustable also. Keefer, I use the 1/2 knot method and tug them down pretty tight. I use B-500 string material. Sometimes it takes some effort to start them turning the first time. I find that if I don't make them real tight they will sometimes get loose and sloppy. I don't super glue mine, so I need them real tight.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Two tied on knocks keeps things in place and nice flying arrows.  :archer2:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
I never tried two but am willing to try anything once.  Thanks for the thread and good info that flows from it.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 10:11:00 PM »
Ditto what Night Wing said...
John

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Interesting stuff.... Thanx for the tip, will have to give it a try.

Years ago, a fellow taught me how to tie a string nock, but forgot how now since I got away from it and went back to brass nocks because my string nocks kept sliding. Anyone know a pictorial on tying a string nock?

Thanx

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
I went to nocks above and below last winter after reading a thread on Tradgang and noticed the improvement immediately!
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline rock_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I use the little rubber eliminator buttons under the nock as my second point.  It works very well and the rubber is soft on my tab, unlike a brass nockset which will chew up a tab.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Cool Bel007, thanx for linky.

Through all the years of trying this and that to learn what worked best for myself, thought I'd tried it all,,,guess not, got some more trying to do...8^)

Thanx much for sharing folks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©