3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Darn finger pain!  (Read 443 times)

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Darn finger pain!
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Well index finger where it contacts the arrow hurts bad enough now I have to stop shooting for a while. Doesn't matter if its my 60" Bear recurve or 64" longbow just plaion hurts. Anyone else had to take a break due to index finger pain?

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Darn finger pain!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I sometimes get a sore middle finger...that's the one that puts the most pressure on the bowstring. I've never had it get that bad that I had to stop shooting, though.

What kind of pain is it? Is it just sore on the skin or does it feel like it's in the joint?

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
the ring finger is what hurts the most for me, a thicker tab helps.

Offline elbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
it is sore on the skin, on the part of my index finger that hits the arrow while I am shooting, have had problems with hangnain before, just got worse fast. seems to be bruised.

Offline Drake 15

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I get a sore finger once in a while. I shoot a tab. What I do is cut a peace of leather out and hot melt it to my tab. Works wonders.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I never could shoot with a tab due to soreness on the fingers.  Like you I had trouble with the side of the finger riding against the nock set.  A glove worked better for me but if you can use it a tab will give you a better release..
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by elbow:
it is sore on the skin, on the part of my index finger that hits the arrow while I am shooting, have had problems with hangnain before, just got worse fast. seems to be bruised.
Not tring to be funny but maybe a band aid, last year wile hunt I cut my index finger it looked like I needed stitches I put some liquid skin and put a knuckle band aid and shot with no pain.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I had the same issue. Pain and a callous on the middle finger side of my index finger. Got one of the tabs that Dan Tolke (Montana Bows, sponsor on here) sells that just covers your middle and ring fingers. Dan taught me to just put pressure with a deep hook on those 2 fingers with the index finger just contacting the string and gently resting on top of the arrow. The index finger is not gripping the arrow or the string at all, just helping keep the string in proper alignment.
No more pain at all and a much cleaner release.

I don't know if I described that very well. But it works for me.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
As mentioned before, my problem was always my middle finger. Eventually I got a noticeable callus...now, not so much pain. I was only shooting twice a week, so the soreness had time to go away before the next time out. I imagine if I'd been shooting much more frequently I might have gotten what you have.

I guess just try and ease back into it. Maybe try a thicker glove?

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »
I used to get the same thing on my pointer finger.I had to take breaks from shooting.The only remedey I found was to keep shooting regular and it would go away.Stopping for a winter break(Two or so months) then shooting again was usually what brought it back.I tried some eletrical tape around that spot and it helped a little.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Ydanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
I use a tab and shoot 3 fingers split.  At one time I had a problem with my middle finger that touched the underside of the arrow nock becoming very sore.  What I found was causing this was I was twisting the bow string while drawing.  Ounce I corrected this my sore finger went away.  If this isn't the case with you, the Black Widow tabs have a flap of swede top and bottom that protect your fingers from touching the arrow.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 07:11:00 AM »
Start with a slight gap between your finger and the nock. It does help.    BILL

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
How many arrows are you guys flinging for practice? Mine were a bit sore after a 700+ arrows this weekend but with a fairly heavy glove it wasny too bad to shoot. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing.......
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
I have posted these pictures before. If you make this using an aluminum can, duck tape and sissors, put it into the finger of your shooting glove, your pain will end. I fought this problem for years and tried everything to help. This item will fix it if you shoot a glove. You will not even know it is in the glove it you make it the right size for the finger hole.

John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
John

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
Make this by cutting open a soda can. Flatten it out on a table. Wash it. Then fold it in half, to get double thickness. Cut out the pattern shown so the bottom part of it is on the fold so it will stay together when you cut pattern. Put one layer of duck tape on it so edges are not sharp. Bend it to fit inside of finger hole of glove. If done correctly no part of it will touch part of glove that will be pulling directly on string, it will be between your finger and nock, you will not know it is there.
John

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
My index finger is extremely sore from shooting I've learned to adapt to a two under style of shooting,just to many injurys to my right hand and arthritis is a major factor.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©