3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long Waits are Over -- The Tale of Two Bows  (Read 172 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Long Waits are Over -- The Tale of Two Bows
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Last Friday two bows I've had on order arrived on the same day. My Silvertip was ordered in mid-August. The Bear TD was ordered on January 7th.

I'm waiting for a sunny day to take a few pictures of both and I will add to this thread.

Initial Reaction:

Schafer Silvertip: 58", Recurve, LH, 53#@28", Rosewood Dymonwood (FF), Macassar flares, myrtle limb veneers, with antler limb tips. Checkered grip and Bear Compass. My name is on the bow along with my favorite slogan, "On Target for Life".

This Schafer is, for my taste, the best looking bow I own. I replaced the provided 20-strand string with a Skinny String made for my Widow PAX by a great Trad Ganger in New Mexico. The bow is a pure joy to hold and satisfying to shoot. I'm shooting it off a Bear Weather rest but have ordered a Cavilier Champion II Magnetic flipper to try. The grip on the bow is a tad different from the one Billy Shipp loaned me and then traded to me, but I like it.

The Bear TD: A Riser, LH, #3 limbs -60" bow. I asked for 52# limbs (@28") but the limbs weigh out at 57#.  The riser is without defects and the limbs fit in the latches perfectly. The grip on the riser is quite different from the one I tested on January 7th.  It is much deeper and less rounded from face to back than I expected --more than 5 1/8" around the narrow part of the grip. I will be calling Bear to see if I can have the grip narrowed.

The #3 Limbs are more tapered than I was expecting with slender, red limb tips. I like the gracefulness of the limbs. The finish (black glass) on the limbs is pretty good but there are a few silver streaks in the glass with a couple small ones that seem to come through the surface -- this particular streak can be felt very sligthtly. Bugs me a little. I compared to Brandon limbs.  Brandon limbs win out.

I am very pleasantly suprised how quiet this Bear is to shoot. It is a dull thump and with a couple of String Leaches it is very quiet - -more quiet than the Supreme Riser I own.

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long Waits are Over -- The Tale of Two Bows
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Christmas in May! Sounds like 2 awesome bows. I'll be looking for the pics. Congrats!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Will be looking forward to pics.

Would also enjoy hearing a little more feedback as to your experience with both bows once you get more acquainted.

Congrats Bowwild!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline eddings220

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Nothing like getting new "toys" to play with! Have Fun!!!
"Respect & Integrity" - Two things that will get you a long way with God and with men.  Mark Eddings

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:40:00 PM »
Congrats Roy.....

It's great to have one new bow arrive, so getting two on the same day has to be really special.

:clapper:

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Roy,I am glad your hands are finally on them!
I know is been a long hard wait,I hope you love them both.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©