3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Testosterone dwindling  (Read 628 times)

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
Testosterone dwindling
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
I'll start by saying...Getting old sucks!!!  I turned 39 last Friday.  What the heck are the 40's going to have in store for me?  I guess when you make a living with your body, it eventually wears out.

I went to my Orthopedic Surgeon today, and scheduled a MRI for my right shoulder for this Thursday.  For any of you that missed it, I injured my shoulder...ironicly...at the gym trying to get in better shape for bow season.  I'm hoping the MRI shows that therapy will correct my problem, and not have to deal with surgery.  What's my problem you might ask?  I went to draw my longbow (57# @ 28") on Sunday and could only get the string back 6" tops.  I was completely floored, and thought someone was playing a bad joke on me.

So I just got off the phone with Kevin, from RER Bows, and have a set of longbow limbs on order that are 45# @ 28".  He promised me the prettiest waterfall babinga I have ever set my eyes on.  Well, that should be pretty easy, because I have never seen any before.  I looked it up online, and he is correct, that wood is simply stunning.  It will be a perfect addition to my bacote and bloodwood LXR riser.

Now the waiting and the taking it easy begins.

Oh yeah, one final thought...If you are at the gym and Sammy Hagar starts playing into the headphones, don't think you can automatically jump your shoulder workout 50# without there being any problems down the road.  

Swallowing the thought of going back to 45# wasn't easy, but that being my only option, the choice is very clear.  And for anything I ever plan on hunting, 45# should be more than adequit.  If I ever need to go to a heavier bow, I have 2 sets of limbs waiting for my arrival.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline GWV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Testosterone dwindling
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Hope you heal quick bro!

Offline Dean Lintz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Mike I had shoulder problems about 5 years ago Dr. thought partially torn rotartor cuff. I ended up not shooting for about you don't want to here this about a year to avoid surgery. Give plenty of time to really heal. It does not bother me whe I shoot now. I usually shoot about 53# bows. Good luck and fast recovery.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Mike, I am 64 and got I ordered a new bow last year and had it made for 45#. I did it to save my body, and have never enjoyed shooting as much. With the new bows, woods and carbon arrows this bow will kill anything I may hunt. You are not "going back" when you go to 45#. I often wonder what the Native Americans shot for #'s. I know some guys who cannot shot anymore and I often wonder if they regret shooting the macho man heavy bows. Perhaps that was not why they shot them, perhaps thinking that heavy meant better penetration...but todays bows  and arrows do not need heavy #'s. Good luck and you are smart to take care of your body. You will see 45# will be fun.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
I just turned the Big 40 in December and feel it already.  I hope you heal up and are ready to wack a nice buck this fall.

Offline SlowBowke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
As one that shot some super heavies in his youth, I'm glad I did. It was fun! Lucked out on shoulders not giving out but still shoot 43-52 strictly because I "figured out" that all of em of legal weight work about as well as any and I flat shoot more accurately.

Wishing you luck on the MRI. One coming up myself. After an auto accident crushing three vertabrae in the 70s it's all catching up with me now. Multiple disks about to go, little "cushion" left. It effects about everything I attempt.

It's the hoofing it out to the woods and standing or sitting for any length of time that gets to me. My job on cement, stairs and steel platforms may be in trouble. Not a great thing at this time of my life at age 59 this fall nor in this economy.

I can still shoot the heavy bows but not well and enjoy my "lighter" ones. Recall if you will that in the 60s a HUGE part of the bows sold were 45 lbs.  A quick look at the bows in the auction confirms this for those not old enough to recall that time frame.

Id not be afraid to hunt anything in the US with my "heavier" 52lb bows and proper arrow weight and heads. The 43lb for deer has yet to fail me weight wise in several bows.

They worked back several decades and still work now, probably even better now even though they dont need to. My two bows date 1957 and 58. The one 52 is a new purchase and still waiting on it. In 66inch, I dont think the weight will be real noticable. (my opinion only) Also swapping bows for a bamboo backed all wood bow for fun and games that will be about the same at 52 at my draw with a longbow.

I cannot imagine NEEDING more weight and bet the 43 will get the nod more often than the other two heavier ones for hunting together. Each day the choice is made on a whim, lol.

Ive gotten pass throughs (something else not "NEEDED") with 43lb bows and while some feel they may be limiting in range for hunting, I tend to disagree.

As all of us know it's more arrow placement and a sharp head that beats all other factors combined together that puts venison on the table regularly.

God Bless and prayers for you and yours.
"Beauty is in the eye of the BOWholder" God Bless!!

Offline L. Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
39? You sure as heck don't want to see pushing 60!!LOL You got a while before you really need to start worrying!
Traditional Bowhunting: Cunning and stealth, not gadgets and gizmos!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
Hey Mike,I also experienced the same problems about ten years ago when I turned 40.I had about a 3 month layoff then started back with a 30# bow.I am a pipefitter by trade and also feel three decades plus of abuse.After about 9 months I was shooting 45# to 50#.I rarely shoot heavier than 52# these days and feel lucky I still can.Take it slow and you will be good to go.glen

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
LOL .. not for your pain , but I hate to tell ya but it doesn't get easier
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
You'll do fine!  I just hope you won't need surgery.  I'll remember that the next time Hagar comes on lol.  My 49@28 LX is a screamer so I'm sure you'll have no problems.   I was surprised at how well it performs.  

Good luck with the mri and post photos when you get your limbs!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Hi Mike!

My hunting partner banged his knee on a skiing accident 8 months before our moose hunt a few years ago. He had to have ACL repair. A few years before that was a different injury...doing some high-flying trapeze move off a diving board. He fell over a boulder outside my home a couple years ago, and darned near wrecked his whitetail season in progress.

I think you'll get through this...

:thumbsup:

Offline leftyfred

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
Here is something to think about.  My problem, impingement.  The tendon swells and doesn't slide back and forth on the collar bone well.  The problem, DIET COKE.  Yes, diet coke, maybe 16 or 24oz a day.  The aspartame artifical sweetner turns to formaldahyde in you gut and reduces the lubrication in the joint, also when the sweet hits your tongue, you body shoots insulin in to take care of the sugar that is not there.  If you eat diet yogurt, diet pop, whatever, avoid aspartame.  If I had a little less ethics, I would find a good lawyer.  My joints have never felt better, just 4 weeks off the crap.  Turned 50 this year and dropped down to around 52 lbs from 65 lbs.  I may get a 70lb bow if the turnaround continues.  Look on the internet to verify my claims.  Get diet pop out of your diet.  LF

Offline magnus

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Hang in there Mike. Better now than in October. Just think how steady you'll hold that 45#er when your healed up. Rock steady and deadly!!
Keeping the Faith!
Matt
TGMM Family of the bow
 Turkey Flite Traditional  
[email protected]

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
Ok, Jack Benny...39...geeze... well, since whenever you celebrated 39, you've BEEN IN your 40th year...don't celebrate one till you've passed thru it....so you're already into your 40th!

Getting in shape has such hazards...round is a shape!!  :)

If you let it heal and can induce patience as a patient, you should be able to work this thru w/out surgery unless it totally torn.

I had a 3 corner tear and nothing helped but full surgery... made a huge difference after the healing was done...

LF, wow..diet soda? Does all that?  Dang! Knew there was a reason to keep the sugar!  :)  That is interesting!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cookus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Hang in there Mike!   These things will happen to the best of us buddy... Listen to the doctor when you review Thursday's results.   At the time I bought your Wesley I was having serious tennis elbow tendinitis in my left (bow) arm.   I figured my left arm was going to be a repeat of my right arm and surgery was imminent.   After MRI's, x-rays and two cortisone shots, the orthopedic doctor prescribed 6 weeks of physical therapy as a last ditch (insurance)effort before surgery.   It was a God's blessing that my therapist was a young graduate from college that was very progressive in "her" diagnosis... It turned out that my problem (which appeared overnight) was actually due to my C4 vertebrae pinching nerves and getting progressively worse by the day.   After a few weeks of therapy and a few weeks away from the Hill, I got better.   Your mileage may vary, but none the less, you're in my thoughts and prayers!   PM me if you want more info.
West Virginia Bowhunters Association
PBS Associate Member

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Sure hope you will be just fine Mike.

None of us can escape aging, but hopefully we can resist feeble.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Hi mike hang in there and take it easy to heal properly.  As a 50+ age group member who still shoots bows in the high 50# to mid 60# i would suggest start a dedicated routine to work on small stabilizer muscles in your shoulders and back. One group to look toward for help outside of the medical community is the RKC's (russian kettlebell certified instructors) and those who work with joint mobility.
Mark

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
63 here. Does not get easier unless you make wise choices in all, even small things. Age and maturity can actually make you better and more consistent. Let the path open before you and do not force it. Do not give in or up. I shoot 54# at my draw and love it.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 11:48:00 PM »
63 here. Does not get easier unless you make wise choices in all, even small things. Age and maturity can actually make you better and more consistent. Let the path open before you and do not force it. Do not give in or up. I shoot 54# at my draw and love it.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
Good luck Mike with rehab.Be patient,Fall is a ways off and I know you got a descent buck picked out allready.You should be ready by then.forty five #s is enough anyday with a perfect flying arrow and razor sharp head.

I have gotten over  multiple injuries where I could not shoot a bow and am still shooting.Higher reps,strict form and less weight at the Gym will keep you going until your 80s.Your still a Spring chicken man.

I cant drive 55.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©