3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Testosterone dwindling  (Read 629 times)

Offline Larry Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Testosterone dwindling
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »
Good luck to you Mike!  Lower poundage is the only way to get back!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 01:54:00 AM »
55 now and blew both rotators out in my early to mid 40's about 2 years apart . Had both of them cut on and shot my 67# Widow for many years afterward. You will be ok. I still shoot mid 50-61 now, just go with what Doc says. Luckily my doc was a trad guy and took real good care of me.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »
I was having shoulder issues... pain, clicking, clunking, etc. as well as wrist, elbow, and knee issues, and didn't shoot more than a handful of arrows over the course of a year or so. I was blaming the shoulder thing on the heavy bows I was shooting... that wasn't it. I changed my diet, big time, initially to lose weight, and no longer eat anything with artificial sweeteners(aspartame is NASTY stuff and should be illegal), sugar, grains, and very little dairy. I also completely avoid any processed foods and pay attention to the kinds of fats I eat, trying now to keep trans and saturated fats low and the omega 6 to omega 3 ratio as even as possible.

I also started working out and I think that's helping my shoulder too... lotta pushups, pullups, etc.

My shoulder issues, in fact, ALL my joint issues, have vanished. I'm SO glad I didn't go to a doctor.

Do a search on diet, nutrition, inflammation, autoimmunity, etc.

Offline turkey65

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
Mike I'll be 70 in July,had back surgery a year ago,normally shoot in the mid to high fifties. Dropped down to 45 this past year and really enjoy the weight,no problems with penetration took an eight point last year in Indiana dressed weight 190

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
After 40 the years start adding up like dog-years! 45# will do just fine.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Sorry to hear that bro!  I am 42 and it sucks to actually have to strech out before doing anything so I dont pull something.  I had a bad bout of bow elbow and couldnt shoot for awhile ended up needed shots last year.  Try some Metalica for hitting the weight pile for better results.    :biglaugh:  Prayers for a speedy recovery.
Andrew
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Keep in mind your body has its own work out agenda. You cant make up for lost time. My advice to you is to go work on your cardio, abs and lower body. That will make your whole body strong and will pump up your testosterone. Believe it or not but working one thing will strengthen the rest of you. I know a lot of body builders who work through plateaus in their upper body routine by hitting their legs hard(body building is a little more popular in my native Philadelphia then traditional archery.)And yo... Van Hagar is nothing to hurt yourself to. Now road house blues by the doors, thats a song to tear your cuff on. Good luck bud. Keep us posted.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Heal up, Mike.

39?  You were 7 when I got married.  I started having an affair with rheumatoid arthritis when I was 45 and have had one knee "rebushed" because of it so far.  My knuckles look like snakes that swallowed chicken eggs.  There are mornings it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints and those "120 arrow days" with a 65# bow that I used to shrug off now leave me feeling like a stepped on spider the next day.  Even though they are now 60 arrows with a 55# bow.

Some joker also has been messing with the iron sights on my flintlock, too.  There are three front blades and the rear looks like it's made of steel-wool instead of sharply filed iron.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2011, 01:37:00 PM »
Well from all the responses, it looks like I am in good company.  Hopefully it's not as bad as I am thinking.  I will just keep thinking the worst and pray for the best.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Healed a lot of this joint tissue stuff with prolo-therapy. Solved back, shoulder, and elbow stuff with no surgery and just weeks of treatment.  There is a reason pro athletes are now using it.  My Dr. works for KU medical center.  This is NOT alternative stuff- just an under utilized treatment that makes little money for physicians or pharmaceuticals.  It is now being recognized by many physicians.
Check it out:   http://www.neurofascial.com/
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about your shoulders & hope things work out for you.

I too used to be the heavy bow freak but it was with compounds w/ maybe 50% let off but now I think I've gotten smarter & stick to just 40-55# bows, figure that if I need to use something heavier I can't afford to hunt there in the first place.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Mike, look on the bright side: You had another birthday- Happy Birthday!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
Hitting 50 this year and wish I felt as good as 40 again, getting old does suck. That said I'm still shooting 60# to 70# bows with no problems. But I've never trashed a shoulder or elbow doing anything else so there is no pre-existing condition to aggravate. I only shoot 30 to 50 arrows about 3 times a week so I dont over-use the muscles. Its all about pacing yourself as you get older.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
This is a really interesting thread.

I've been having shoulder problems myself the last 9 months or so, same story. In the gym, working out for an elk hunt, and pop. Now my shoulder sounds like it has gravel in it and my strength and range of motion are not there. I've tried shooting a couple times since, in the 30# range and I can do it, but its very uncomfortable.

I blamed in on literally a lifetime of abusing that joint with bows. But the aspertame angle is interesting. I never was a big pop drinker, but my wife is a diet Coke addict, and I started drinking it just because it was always around. Consider me having quit, as of now.

Jared
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Forgot to mention, I'm only 34, which is what made me the maddest. I figured should have a LOT of shooting left in me.

Good luck with your stuff Mike.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
At 62 I shoot 40# for fun, and when deer season gets close I judo with 50-60# bows. Shooting judos is a one-at-a-time practice, and my shoulders have time to recover enough between shots so that they don't bother me. If I shoot the practice target with the heavier bows and multiple arrows, my shoulders will start to complain pretty quickly.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
39, Wow, I feel lucky. At age 55, I have now dropped down to 54#. Had a muscle pull in my drawing shoulder last summer and fall. It is now feeling good. I have worked in construction for the last 35 years and feel lucky to still be in good shape without any injuries. I do best by shooting 30-40 arrows every couple days. My shoulder feels better that way than shooting only once a week.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Good luck.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Just had my MRI today.  It was odd.  There was nothing wrong with it, just had no idea what to expect.  If it wasn't for all that noise, I probably would have fell asleep.  I should know the results next Tuesday, unless they can get me in tomorrow.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm 44, in pretty good shape, work out some everyday, start every morning with 30 pushups, etc...and I sold or traded every bow over 50lbs. Now all my bows are 44-48lbs.

Granted, I only whitetail hunt and all my shots are under 15 yards, but with a scary sharp head and perfect arrow flight, when you hit the vitals the arrow seems to pass thru them just fine.

Personally, for the lower poundage bows, I'm leaning towards "mini" COC 4 blades over wider 2 blades. I shot a buck last year with a Steelforce Phathead. The head part is only as big as a quarter. But the arrow passed thru on a heart shot and buried into the dirt on the side of a hill that was behind the buck and the buck piled up about 70 yards away, after a great blood trail, that 4 blades often offer. I'm not sure what else anyone could ask for.

Plus, the lower poundage bows are a joy to shoot and you can practice with them all day long, if you wanted to do so.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©