3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody bear hunt Montana in the fall?  (Read 207 times)

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody bear hunt Montana in the fall?
« on: May 18, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Hey gang -
    I ate tag soup this spring in Montana but had a good time - was wondering if its worthwhile to return and hunt bears in the fall.  I can't seem to find much info so it has me wondering.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody bear hunt Montana in the fall?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I have, I hunted near Kalispel, Mt. Found a spot between some cherry trees that where not picked that year. So much bear sign, they where gorging themselves so much that they where throwing them up. Seen plenty bears, but did not see the one that I wanted to take. had a great time and wore the soles right off my boots from the daily grind to the top. I prefer the spot and stalk in the spring myself, it is quite a rush to spot and walk up on a big bruin with a longbow. Wish I could go back, but with the economy and Montana s license fees for non residents is getting to be too much for me. I have had a lot of tag soup from Montana.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I do but it is tough in this area.We don't have any real berry crops so bears are scattered and there is a lot of big woods.There is a service berry patch that they hit about Oct 1 but no cover on the downwind side.

Choke cherries can be real good but most years,here,they are done before season starts.Some areas,that may not be the case.

In the Nortwestern part of the state there should be some blueberries and if they are still on when season starts,that may be the ticket.There aren't a lot of apple trees in Montana but if you could find a small orchard,you would be in business.

In the Fall it is all about the food sources and what is in,what week.The bears know where everything is and when to be there.They have a great memory for any place they ever got a meal.

Overall,I think it is tougher in the Fall but if you had good information on a great crop like blueberries and were sure you could time your trip with THIS years crop,you might do well.

Another food source that bears here love in the Fall is White Bark pine seeds.I think the White Bark pines are at higher elevations but honestly don't know a lot about them.Bears in the mountains often rely on them,late September and October.

As bears are frantically trying to put on pounds for the Winter,they grab every opportunity to get protein so predator calls work really well in the Fall but this may be better with 2 guys.Electronic calls aren't legal.You need to blow the call almost constantly for up to an hour and be ready to be bum-rushed at close range by a serious bear.

I would say if you decided to do the Fall hunt,get information on a good food source and confirm that it will be viable when you can come.Work the food source and bring a predator call to use as well.

In one of my best Spring areas,it is almost impossible to see a bear in the Fall.It is all about the food.

Offline Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Thanks guys - thats about what I expected - all those clear cuts in the spring I figured would be pretty thick come fall.  I think I found some huckleberry patches but as said, if they aren't there when I am then it can be quite a long trip.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline Bosco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I find it is much easier in the fall to locate bears competing for berries in a group.  If I hunt hard in the spring I see a few bears, but I run into them all the time without trying in Sept/Oct.  Let me know if you want some more info.

Thanks,

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
I agree with William....if you can find the food source, bears will be active in it.  Early fall season is now an archery only time...before Sept. 15, and bears can be found on chokecherries, apple or fruit orchards everywhere!   Best time, and easier in many ways than spring, IMO.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I find it easier to find bear in the fall too. Locating a good berry crop away from roads and people is best. The problem is we have a smaller population density due to the size of our state, but they are around. In the fall, find the berries find the bears  :)
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©