3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Hunt Continues........  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
The Hunt Continues........
« on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
•    
•    
•    

I have a lot to share...but first I'd like to back up a bit.

A couple months ago when I was looking to buy some 1 1/4" VPA Terminators, Trad Gang'r "Kenneth" pm'd me that he had some. Some were his and 3 were some that he'd gotten from Chris just before his untimely death.

We made a deal for his and he passed the one's he'd gotten from Chris on to me knowing I'd put them to good use. They arrived still in the box that Chris sent them to him in...thanks again Kenneth!

So with turkey season approaching, I promised myself that I'd have these broadheads in position #1 in the quivers of each of my two turkey set-ups. One for the blind, and one for my ghillie hunts.

Before the season started(May 1st) I wrote what you see in the pix with a silver sharpie, knowing I'd do all I could to keep Chris along with me hunting.

Fast forward a couple tough weeks of hunting to last evening...

I went to a spot that before the season, their was, everytime I went there to scout, a couple birds gobbling. Although my 2 previous attempts to find birds here after the season started came up empty, I figured what the heck last evening, and went to try to roost a bird.

As I closed into where the birds usually roost, I let go a couple soft clucks, and was pleasently surprized by a booming gobble!

I moved around and closed in as close as the terrain allowed to figure out exactly where I needed to be in the morning.  Thge forcast was calling for rain just like every day prior for 4 days now. So I needed to find a good spot to set up the Double Bull.

I got within about 75yds. of the bird, found a great place to set the blind on this big oak ridge with some good shooting around it.  Then I clucked a couple times, and 2 birds answered!  Now they both had something to think about all night and look forward to in the morning...and so did I!

Up at 3:45 and no rain...cool!  But sure enough during the five minute drive to my spot, it started to pour!

I sat in the truck for 15 minutes, but knew I had to get going if I was going to set up so close. I needed darkness. Then as the rain let up a bit, I threw on my new KUIU Chugach rain jacket and headed up the ridge...

As I set up in the pitch black, the rain let up and all but stopped. But the water dripping off the trees was still pretty substantial, but I was all set and dry in my DB...

5:15 I heard this(turn it up)...

They continued to gobble steady and right about the time I thought they were going to fly down I let them know the hen from last night was still here looking for love...

Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Hunt Continues........
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Curt...I haven't read a word...cept what was on the head.

I'm speechless at the moment.  

Will read later...gonna have to let that soak in my friend.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 06:21:00 PM »
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
I figured any second I'd hear the closer bird fly down and he/they would be on top of me in no time...

Well, a half hour later they were still gobbling from their roost trees!

I guess they were waiting for the shady hen(me) to go to them...

Just after 6:00 I could tell they finally hit the ground and I got ready, figuring I'd see red heads any second!

Then I heard a gobble further away...I called and they answered...

Now they HAD to be coming...

A couple minutes later I heard them again, but even further away....

Last I heard them they were so far away I could just barely make out a gobble!

Ya know the old saying..."roosted ain't roasted"!

Time to be patient...

I figured there must have been some un-heard(by me) hens that had drawn them away. But, they don't forget...and will sometimes swing back around to check out other hens later on in the morning.

Then came the rain again...I mean it started pouring!

I knew I had to hang till at least 9:00. I kept thinking that "they just had to come later"...

I called once in a while, nothing fancy or aggressive...just some soft stuff.

With the rain still coming down and fighting the urge to fall asleep(about 7:30)...I picked up my phone to send a text to Glenbo to see how he was progressing with the bow we're building for the St. Jude auction. We went back and forth a couple times...

After sending the last one about hanging in till about 9:00 in case they came back, and with the phone still in my hands I look up and see a gobbler at 20yds. and closing, them rascals had snuck in silent!

Instant panic!

I had taken both of my black gloves off...so as quickly as I could I slipped them both on, and was reaching for my bow when I heard putting!

Both birds were at the dekes, got nervous, and were starting to move off...Dang it!

As they putted and moved off, they kinda circled around to my right...I called and the second bird stopped at about 15yds. but I had no shot!

But, in a couple steps he'd be in a small opening I could get an arrow through if I could get him to stop again...
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
He started to move again in seconds and as he hit the opening I clucked...he stopped...I leaned as far off my stool as I could...drew...and shot as he stood at high alert...

The arrow struck hard, and my first impression was that it was a little low!

At impact he fell over, then was up, but laboring heavily as he tried to move off.  After only making it about ten yards, and just barely still in sight, he stopped!

I immediately was reaching for another arrow and when I looked back up, he labored out of sight, just over a small ridge...the string only fed out for about 5 seconds after he went out of sight!

It was obvious the arrow had hit some major bone as it was still sticking out a lot on the entrance side...

Now comes the hard part...waiting!  Since the string had stopped so quickly after he went out of sight....there were 4 things that could have happened...and two of them are not-so-good!  

1. The string broke

2. the arrow fell back out the entrance side

3. he was laying just over the ridge alive

4. he was laying there dead....I had to wait!

I took some pix, packed up calls and texted Glenbo back to let him know what had just happened!

Where he stood at the shot, about 18yds...
•    

Birds eye view of the set-up...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Looks like alot of Chris MOJO has been going around the last few days!
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Ohh boy!  Thanks for taking us along Curt.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I'm banking on number 4 !!!  A totally awesome tribute Curt.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
After about 30 minutes I just had to at least check out the spot of the hit.  I hoped if I stayed low, and he was just over the hill alive, he would not see me.

In a low, crouching walk I made it to the spot of the shot and found no sign of a hit, no feathers, no blood....but I was not too discouraged, as it was raining when I shot.  I went another ten yds. or so along the string crawling to stay low...still nothing...

But I knew what I saw, and the string dissappeared over the hill and hadn't moved at all since it originally stopped....again time to wait!

I made it another 30 minutes or so and decided it was time to go home, eat breakfast, and kill a couple hours....

Just as I was ready to pack up, I couldn't fight the feeling anymore. I kept getting this overpowering feeling that I needed to check over the hill before I left....hard to explain, because in a situation like this I always just leave for a while....but this was different...this was so strong I couldn't ignore it anymore!

I unscrewed the string tracker out of my quiver and layed it down on a rock, with another flat rock on top of it to hold it down. This was in case I did find a very much alive bird...the string would still feed out as he ran off.

I put on my headnet, nocked an arrow, and crouch- walked to where I'd left off earlier...

As I stood up, and more and more of the other side of the ridge slowly came into view I immediatley saw my arrow..."dang it, it fell out!"...was my first reaction....

But as I stood up as tall and striaght as possible, my heart jumped into my throat...the arrow was still in the bird!
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
He was only 10yds. away! Heart pounding, and mind racing....I got my fingers on the string and watched him for a couple seconds ready to shoot if he so much as twitched!

I could see his wings were out flat, and his head was down out of sight. He looked dead, but I wasn't about to take a chance!

With my Morin Banshee longbow with arrow knocked in my right hand....I picked up a heavy stick and tossed it with my left...

Before the stick even hit the ground beside him, my hand was on the string and the bow was up ready to draw and shoot...he didn't move...

Not taking my eyes off him, I grabbed another stick and tried to hit him with this one...

As the stick landed on his back I half drew...

But he never moved....he was dead!

•      

I was overwelmed with mixed emotion, and looked to the sky and said a few words....
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Perhaps we never hunt alone.  :campfire:  

Thanks for taking us along Curt.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
No words right now........

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  
Thank you.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
The arrow had indeed struck a bit low...
•    

Chris' 1 1/4" VPA Terminator had done it's job...
•    

He was a little stiff already when I walked up to him. When the string had stopped, he was done. But not being able to see him, you just never know, and have to wait.

•    
•    
•    

Chris' gobbler was a typical 2 yr. old. 8 3/4" beard and 3/4" spurs...
•    
•    
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
"That's Strong And Very Good Medicine"

Thanks Curt !!
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
After a tough couple of weeks trying to kill a turkey, this couldn't have worked out any better...
•  

Don't worry my friend, it'll be my pleasure to carry him out for you...
•  
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
AWESOME!!!  congrats curt!!!

great story and fabulous pix!!!

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©