3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why no more Seal Skin Arrow Rest?  (Read 521 times)

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why no more Seal Skin Arrow Rest?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Could the seals be growing velcro now?
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
The Marine Mammal Protection Act has been around since 1972.it is nothing new.I don't think it was truly legal to sell seal skin when we could get it.My recollection is that the only time you could buy Native harvested marine mammal parts was when it incorporated some kind of native art like scrimshaw on ivory.When I bought seal from archery suppliers,it had a machine stitch line on one edge.I think this was to get around the law and say that it was native art.I truly suspect someone put their foot down.

Purchasing wildlife parts can be tricky and there are laws,state and federal.It is legal to purchase things that were made before a ban like this,if it can be documented that it is pre-ban.

I think there are plenty of options for arrow rests and sideplates and I think a lot of options have been overlooked.The hair on the shins of many hoofed animals is slick and tough,for a reason and I bet it would make excellent rest material.Looking at a variety of animals including African,one could come up with about any hair length and color he wanted.A mountain of this stuff is discarded every year.Your local taxidermy shop might be a good place to check.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
This has been ages ago, but Patrick's Fly Shop on Eastlake Ave. in Seattle had 2"x2" documented pre MMPA seal skin patches. Kinda spendy.

Uh, yeah, velcro.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
My wife has a seal-fur coat that was her mother's.  Looks much different than the rest fur though it is certainly soft and shiney . . . wonder if she'd notice a 1/2" x 2" piece of hide missing?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
All kinds on the auction site-including grandma's old jacket.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by JimB:
The Marine Mammal Protection Act has been around since 1972.it is nothing new.I don't think it was truly legal to sell seal skin when we could get it.My recollection is that the only time you could buy Native harvested marine mammal parts was when it incorporated some kind of native art like scrimshaw on ivory.When I bought seal from archery suppliers,it had a machine stitch line on one edge.I think this was to get around the law and say that it was native art.I truly suspect someone put their foot down.

Purchasing wildlife parts can be tricky and there are laws,state and federal.It is legal to purchase things that were made before a ban like this,if it can be documented that it is pre-ban.

I think there are plenty of options for arrow rests and sideplates and I think a lot of options have been overlooked.The hair on the shins of many hoofed animals is slick and tough,for a reason and I bet it would make excellent rest material.Looking at a variety of animals including African,one could come up with about any hair length and color he wanted.A mountain of this stuff is discarded every year.Your local taxidermy shop might be a good place to check.
Excellent post. I hadn't thought of that.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »
I was told that most seal skin rests sold here(in US) were under the radar, and many sellers didn't even know there was an issue. Even manufactured by native is not exempt according to my fur supplier. He has been in fur trading for 40 years, is world known and would not touch a piece of seal skin to save his life.
I don't think too many government employees are checking bow rests, but it really stinks that if you are caught possesing it, you are 100% responsible.
David M. Conroy

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
Didn't Mr. Herters - the Cabela of his day - get smashed by the Feds in the mid to late 60's for selling Jungle Cock capes to fly-tyers?  Broke his heart and spirit and he died a few years after.  Now they're legal again.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I use to buy it from Cabelas..

Stumpkiller
I think your wife wouldn't notice.. lol..

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
I got a whole Leopard Seal Skin off the auction site for $30 a couple years ago. I did a Giveaway Xmas before last and gave chunks to 16 TGer's. I squerriled a little away though.

I got some Nutria skin rest and side-plate material off the auction site and it's pretty good. Soft and wears well. Cheap enough too.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
ahhh Im sure its for the best. they are cute lil boogers anyway.

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I got a whole Leopard Seal Skin off the auction site for $30 a couple years ago. I did a Giveaway Xmas before last and gave chunks to 16 TGer's. I squerriled a little away though.

I got some Nutria skin rest and side-plate material off the auction site and it's pretty good. Soft and wears well. Cheap enough too.
That's good to know.
You have any skins left that I can buy off you?

Offline SMA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
St. Judes Auction has some nice pieces on #5.

Offline IGetTargetPanic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
I'll go check it out!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©