3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blood trails and 2 or 3 blade broadheads  (Read 818 times)

Offline reddust

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blood trails and 2 or 3 blade broadheads
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
I used two blade heads for years and had OK bloodtrails,a few years ago I switched to Woodsman heads and the bloodtrails are outstanding and no difference in penetration.
michael schingeck

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 07:58:00 AM »
Last year I shot a doe muley 20 yard 1/4 to me up hill using 603g arrow and woodsman heads 63lb bow with a 29" draw the arrow went through the front leg and the chest cutting the heart and through the lungs pocked out the other side she went 50 yards with a blood trail a blind man could fallow.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
I knew it!!
   :laughing:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
If I had three broadheads (a single blade, a three blade and a four blade) , equally well made, sharpenable to a real razor egde that they would hold, and they all shot equally well I would be hard pressed to use the two blade when i know a multiple blade will cut more and, from my experience, give me a better blood trail. The choice between the 3 or four blade would be determined by ease of sharpening. In that case I have found that I can sharpen a dozen 3 blade Razorcaps in about the same time it takes me to sharpen 3 four blade Phantom with which I would be encumbered by the use of jigs of some sort to get the best edge. The Razorcaps (or woodsmans) need no jigs or much time to get really, really sharp.  For me it's a no brainer.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
I didn't know blind folks could follow blood trails. Maybe as I age the blood trails will get better.

Sounds like the BH debate has more to do with eyesight than with BH configuration   :laughing:

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
To me it really has to do with how much blood you can drain from an animal in the shortest amount of time with the odds on the side of a good deal of it hitting the ground.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
The longer I hunt deer, the bigger my broadheads get.  Something in a 2 blade with small bleeders like a Stinger, Eclipse or Zwickey or a lean 3 blade like a Woodsman would be a good choice IMO.

Whatever you choose, make sure they are sharp.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
3 blade 160 grain Snuffer

2 blade Phantom 200 grain

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Mark 507

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 12:05:00 AM »
71# longbow and 2 blade stinger on a 2219. I want a pass through and I want my arrow stuck in the tree behind the deer so I don't have to look for my arrow in the tall grass.

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rick McGowan:
ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NUMBER OF BLADES, it has everything to do with what gets cut. I want the biggest EXIT wound I can get, so I use the biggest head that I can be reasonably confident will go all the way through, on a 90# doe, that may be a Snuffer, on an animal the size of an elk that would be a two blade Delta or Magnus, on a 2200# buffalo that would be 190 Grizzly, its pointless to get hung up on the number of blades. I can guarantee that an 1 1/2" wide 160 Magnus will cut a hole as every bit as big as a Woodsman. Sometimes a two blade will slide between the ribs, where a multi blade wouldn't, I've seen it, multiple times. A lot depends on your gear, if you are shooting a moose with a 50# bow, you might want to emphathize penetration, where a guy shooting average whitetails with a 70# bow, might go with the Snuffer for the maximum esit. So the answer is there is NO ANSWER, except maybe for you, on a specific hunt. I have different bows, with dedicated arrows and specific heads for different hunting conditions, BUT I do know that, if I have a broadhead good for elephants, it will probably kill a southern Georgia whitetail too and not necessarily the other way around.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©