3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: On the Road to Recovery...wish me luck.  (Read 490 times)

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
On the Road to Recovery...wish me luck.
« on: May 19, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Well it's been 9 weeks since I came off a green filly I was training. Broke every long bone in my left arm and had a nice stay in the hospital where they put me back together with a few plates and screws.

Yesterday went to the Dr. and he gave me a bunch of painful excersises to do to get my range of motion back and they are killing me. I am really happy I can already raise my arm to 90 degrees which for a lot of us on this board is the most important motion. LOL

Not sure when I'll be cleared to shoot a bow again but I am probably another month out from even trying so I've been focusing on getting into hunting shape and running 4 miles everday. Actually been feeling a lot better overall since I started running again.

Anyone here been through something similiar? How long did it take before you could shoot again?  Is anyone else hearing "Eye of the Tiger" or is it just me? LOL

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: On the Road to Recovery...wish me luck.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery sir!  It sounds like you will be in "fighting shape" by the time your arm is healed!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Hang in there and do the PT that the doctors tell you to do and you will be ready to go in no time. Just don't get in a big hurry which is tuff at times but you can do it.   :D  

I'm speaking from experience, In May of 08 I had a accident at work that destroyed my right shoulder and right hip/leg. They put my shoulder back together at the end of June, I did everything they said and stayed away from the bows and finally started pulling kids bows in October. By the end of November I was hunting and made a bow holder on one of my crutches, Of course I stayed on the ground but I had no problems at all. You can do it too!!

I had a few more surgeries for the hip 09 but had a great turkey season and went Elk hunting in Utah that fall. You will do fine!!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline gretchen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
Take your time and let things heal!! Hnting season is still 4-5 months away and the last thing you want to do is aggregate the injury before it's ready.

Good luck

Dewayne Martin
Lord help me when I aim!!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
It took about a year for me to be able to make a 'snow angel' (raise both arms in a sweeping arc) after braking my shoulder skiing. Stick with the therapy or the surgery was a waste of time.

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
All really good advice and kind words so far. Thank you. I really will take it slow. In the horse world you often hear the saying, "you have to go slow to go fast" which I always took to mean that going slow with the training gets you where you want to be faster in the end. I suppose it applies here too... probably applies to most things.

Offline Don2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
I like Tracy's (K.S. Trapper)advice ... don't get in a big hurry.  most times we get impatient because we want immediate results, but that typically only hurts the healing process further and lengthens the process.  Give it time and you should be back just fine!

Blessings,
Don
Goodbye compound... HELLO LONGBOW

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 06:18:00 PM »
Good luck!  Keep at the therapy, it is painful and boring but take the time if you want to get back.
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
As has been stated before, do the therapy.  I'm sure you'll have bow in hand in no time flat.  Best wishes on a speedy recovery.  Rock on brother.  Peace.  
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:50:00 AM »
Be tough and continue with what you are doing.

Running is getting your blood flowing and your story is getting mine flowing.

It won`t be luck that gets you to high ground, it will be your efforts!!!  :thumbsup:  Well done so far!!!  :campfire:

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
All the best man, you'll be back in no time  :)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks again guys. Every day I feel the arm and shoulder getting stronger. Every day I notice a certain motion doesn't hurt quite as much. The main thing I think is the internal scaring kind of has the shoulder frozen up...but the excersises should free that up eventually.

I really been trying to eat better too and take the supplements  the doctor recommended to make sure my body has everything it needs to heal.

It was a pretty nasty fall with a bone sticking out and everything, so I'm actually feeling very fortunate that I'm feeling as good as I do.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Hang in there bro, I was a also a horse trainer for the better part of my life.I had to give the training up after i was hit head on by a drunk driver while i was hauling three horses.I was in a wheelchair for over a year.Went through lots of surgeries.You will recover,You may feel from time to time that you will never get over the injury,but you will.Hang in there my friend.

Offline AndrewArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rank Bull:
Well it's been 9 weeks since I came off a green filly I was training. Broke every long bone in my left arm and had a nice stay in the hospital where they put me back together with a few plates and screws.

Yesterday went to the Dr. and he gave me a bunch of painful excersises to do to get my range of motion back and they are killing me. I am really happy I can already raise my arm to 90 degrees which for a lot of us on this board is the most important motion. LOL

Not sure when I'll be cleared to shoot a bow again but I am probably another month out from even trying so I've been focusing on getting into hunting shape and running 4 miles everday. Actually been feeling a lot better overall since I started running again.

Anyone here been through something similiar? How long did it take before you could shoot again?  Is anyone else hearing "Eye of the Tiger" or is it just me? LOL
Good luck! Hope you get better quickly
What man is a man who does not make the world a better place

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Sounds to me like you've got the most important part of a full recovery working for you: A Positive Attitude paired with Motivation. Of course I'd expect nothing less from a Trad Brother!

Prayers for a full and speedy recovery. Keep us posted.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rank Bull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Hi Gang,

Well I'm up to 45 pounds. Should be able to pull one of my favourite hunting bows by the time deer season starts. It has NOT been easy and some movements still hurt but I am so grateful  to be back out there.

I've got some pretty nasty scars but I think with a little more work I'll be good new. I did notice that my drawlength is a little longer but I do not recommend this method for increasing drawlength! LOL

-rb

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
Hope you have a swift recovery.
James Kerr

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 01:32:00 AM »
Take it easy and follow your PT and you'll be better and back in no time at all. If you rush, (not that I know...), it'll take even longer and be MORE painful. Good luck and hope you are better soon.

John  :campfire:
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:00 AM »
Wishin you a speedy recovery. I have never been tore up that bad but I did have a young stud run me thru a 4 wire barbed wire fence. Lots of abrasions but nothing broken. Take your time and all the best to you.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
Be patient and remember that with PT you get out of it what you put into it. Do the work and you will be shooting soon enough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©