3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow compass??  (Read 492 times)

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow compass??
« on: May 19, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
After seeing Bowwild's lovely Silvertip that he had a compass installed in I got to wondering about them. Looks like a neat idea, are they handy to have?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow compass??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
If I'm out in the canyons of west Texas or in the deep piney woods of east Texas, where it's easy to get turned around and basically get lost, instead of having a compass installed in the riser of a bow, I'd rather have a handheld portable GPS unit in my pocket.

For short trips where I know the area I'm going to be bowhunting like the back of my hand, I don't need a GPS unit.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
I saw a 3 piece longbow with one set into the riser and it looked really nice- like it belonged there. And after losing my compass last year, having one on my bow would have made that trip back in the dark a lot easier on the mind... Things get lost, gadgets break.

I say go for it.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
I think that a handheld compass would be more accurate/useful. Sure, it can tell you the general direction, but you could easily be off by a few degrees - and that matters big time if you're going a long distance.

Maybe use it as a backup, not primary navigation.

If you're interested in installing one, though, I know that 3 rivers sells them.

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
I have a couple Leon Stewarts with compasses in them. I find them quite handy, just for confirming my own reckoning without digging out a gps or more sophisticated compass.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
I clip on the cheap ball types to maintain a general orientation.  Sooner or later I recognize where I am! LOL
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Sooner or later I recognize where I am! LOL
This is how I role....LOL

I think one would be handy for a guy that knew how to use one.

That is on my list of things to do,,,,,learn to use a compass and use a map.

If I ever do learn you can bet one of those suckers is going on my Zipper.
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
I have the compass mostly for nostalgia, it puts a little "Bear" in my bow.  Like others have said a hand-held and map are the most dependable and a GPS great as long as batteries and satellite views are ample.

However, I think of three times in my bowhunting life when a compass in the riser would have been useful.  All three times, twice in Colorado and once in an Indiana cornfield, this little compass would have provided some comfort and maybe saved me a few anxious moments.  

Both the Colorado instances involved me going just a short distance and I decided to leave my fanny and its enclosed compass at camp and with a dead bull. I was only going a couple of hundred yards.  Both times I spent about an hour before I could get my bearings and find my way back.

Again though, if you don't prefer the look (like I do), I wouldn't have one installed, there are other more efficient solultions to navigation.  I have three more of the little jewels that will one day find a home in other risers.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, Bowwild. I had never given them any thought until I saw you had one installed in your new 'tip. Always have a GPS and compass with me but I just had to ask...

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I wonder if there is any noise with the compass in the riser?
I love the looks of them and just one more item to help with confitming general direction.

Funny how the compass stands out on such a beatiful bow.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
i dont have any experience with one in a bow , but im not a big fan of them in general. They are ok if you have a good map , and know how to read your compass a proper way , but a lot of people dont...

i have an old book called "never get lost again , the green beret's guide " or something along those lines. it was a really good read , and had lots of good info in it.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
I can't notice any sound coming from my compass. The bigger one (18mm) is liquid filled so I don't think it can make noise. However, I'm not a great judge of sound....wait, my wife's lovely mouth is moving and her face is red...she must be hollering again?

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
My ole Sky - Sky Hawk has one in the belly of the risor near the bottom limb, it's nice & still works pretty reliably but I rarely used it because when I hunt I normally keep a Lensatic Compass in my pack.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 06:52:00 AM »
99% of the time when you are turned around a tad in the fog/rain/dark just knowing which way is north can save you a few hours/miles getting back. A bow or pin on compass is perfect for that. In remote areas and doing point to point navigation is where you need a good map and compass and experience with both.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
I had a compass in my ole Winchester and saved me some walking in a few snow storms. I also had one in a old Howatt Hunter I used in Archery.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
Bear T/D  bows have them
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ScottinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
I had one installed in my last 'tip and the one due any day now.  I use it mostly for confirming wind and general direction.
"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline Buckhorn47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Always carry a compass and one on my old Savage rifle ( top of butt section ) acted as my insurance and backup to main compass.

Offline nontypical

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I had one installed in a antler burr for my widow.Where ever I'm hunting its there.

BLACK WIDOWS
MORRISON ILF
TITAN/CENTAUR
BLACK MAGIC/CENTUAR
BOB LEES
BIG CHEVYS

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
Where can I get a compass like that?