3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear hunting in Virginia?  (Read 309 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bear hunting in Virginia?
« on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
Just got back from a bike trip down south to visit my daughter. On the way home took a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive, while up on top of the Skyline I saw 8 bears in about 4 miles. Do you folks hunt them down there. I have never seen so many in such a short distance. Might be neat to hunt Bears in the south!! Thanks for any info.......ron w
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear hunting in Virginia?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Can't hunt them on Skyline, but populations are up. I had one cruise by at twelve yards last year. I thought it was a bit small, but from what a friend says, it was about three years old. I was in front of my cookshack and had a VPA terminator on the arrow, on the string.

We decided to leave each other alone. Your mileage may vary.
Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Killdeer, does the season run with the deer season or is there a special time for them.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 06:04:00 AM »
During Regular Bow season they run along with Deer & Turkey but from Muzzle Loader season  till end of hunting season it depends on the area you are in on weather Bear is in & when.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/#seasons
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 06:05:00 AM »
Delete
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Yes, we are blessed with lots of bears here in Va. I live about 15 minutes from Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah Nat'l Park. The hard part around here is gaining permission to hunt mountain land near the park.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
Allen, same on my side of the hill but fortunately there are quite a few on the hill I hunt. No baiting but it is possible to see several each season. Only want to kill one myself and have only shot at one in 25 years. But it was a pumkin head and probably went 350#'s. Over confidence blew that shot although I did get a few chest hairs for my effort-fortunately no meat on the arrow.
 We get some that wander from the park- usually young males in search of new territory. The bow club I am a member of usually gets several targets destroyed each year by bears looking for ants/grubs.
  They defintely are fun to watch and are like freight trains when they don't know you are around and silent as anything when they do. But dragging them out is not fun, one experience with a friends convince me there is only ONE bear in my future.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the info folks.....The one I saw was a huge sow with 3 cubs from this year,they were tiny and just full of the devil. They were fooling around and Momma kept them close.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
I've taken one with a Hoyt Spectra compound & Magnus Snuffer back in 96' down home near Buena Vista "house fire taken my rug in 98'" now I want to get one with my Recurve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©