3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: perhaps the toughest mountain hunt in the world- walk in/walk out tahr. more pics  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow again, the west coast looks amazing.

Was the route up through the thick stuff marked?
Looks like a path indicator on the tree. Would make a big difference for a first timer to the area.

Also, the guy with the 'Vias' camo, would have been virtually imposible to pick out if his face had been covered in the pick of the three of you sitting together. Good pic for the Kuiu site.

Thanks again for posting.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline stickbowmaniac

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow.Amazing pics is all i can say.Thats some tuff country.Thanks for sharing.
Dryad Orion 58" 49#@28"
Static limbs
Kodiak Magnum    52" 50#@28"

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
we thought the same thing wolfkiss.
that pattern blended perfectly with the rocky terrain there. we sat and had lunch one day and even at 10 yards he disappeared.

yeah we followed a trail into the backcountry. trying to walk anywhere other than the trail is like walking through a brick wall. it was a relief when we finally made it above the bushline.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Great adventure guys.  Thanks for sharing    :thumbsup:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kibok&ko

• Trad Bowhunter
spectacular again !
save a cow eat a vegetarian !

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
That looks like an incredible adventure.  Thanks for sharing.
Molon labe

Offline maineac

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
FANTASTIC ADVENTURE.  The rewards go to those who take the risk
The season gave him perfect mornings, hunter's moons and fields of freedom found only by walking them with a predator's stride.
                                                              Robert Holthouser

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow !!!

What incredible country ...

Thank you for bringing it here   :campfire:
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Looks exactly like Mt goat country I have hunted in British Columbia. Beautiful!

Jack Shanks

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
:thumbsup:    :archer2:  Not much place for my hammock.  Looks like a bunch of fun though.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
jack shanks- yes, mt goats are a dream hunt of mine too. i saw a few in the purcell mountains when i was in BC a couple of years ago.
tahr are considerably cheaper to hunt and i can do it self guided. being able to do it self guided has huge appeal to me.

from my experience the mountains in canada (at least where i was) are, in the majority are not as steep and the valleys are bigger and wider. the country in nz is very steep with the valleys being narrower and steeper. when your in the valley bottom it feels like you've got a wall either side of you.

both places are very tough going though, of that there is no doubt.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
Clint,

I have had the opportunity to hunt Mt goats in some different areas of BC. The Coast Mountains of BC look very similiar to those photos of New Zealand in this thread.

I had a burning desire to hunt tahr in New Zealand at one time. Because of some back problems I think my mountain hunting days are over though. Glad I was able to at least experience the mountain hunts here in the states and Canada I have been fortunate to go on.
Jack Shanks

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Spring 2013 for my 50th B-day present to myself is my current plan.  I have been researching this opportunity for a LOT of years.  Got distracted from going by moving to Alaska instead of visiting NZ 10 years ago.

Clint, on your return trip, which month would you choose based on this experience?

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
WOW!!!!   :eek:  

That is some gorgeous and rugged looking country.  Price of getting there -- blood, sweat and sore everything.  The view -- Priceless!

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
TTT what an awesome adventure! Making me think coming there instead of hunting goats in BC should be considered    :cool:
Mike Davenport

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Fantastic Country.I was born and raised in BC and it looks very similar.Up the BC coast theres lots of goats ,we used to glass them from our boat.
Given the choice I would be going to NZ. Red deer ,Boars and Tahr would be my dream,and like you said the cost alone would be worth it compared to BC.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Clint - Thanks for sharing. How does one go about signing up for a hunt like that. I spent some time in NZ when I was in the Navy. I kick myself in the but everytime I see something like this. I had the opportunity to both hunt and fish while I was there and never did it. I was a younger man then and only had one thing on my mind as NZ also has many beautiful women.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. That looks like some country I like to hunt someday.

Offline ilarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Wow!!! That looks like so much fun.

I too would like as much info as you could help with. Would like to get some use out of that passport than just the Bahama's.
Brent Wolber
IBEP Instructor
I live for ARCHERY!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©