3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binoculars help and opinions  (Read 727 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Binoculars help and opinions
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Hi guys I am looking for a set up binoculars. I don’t need the top of the line. I would like to know what you guys think. I would like to keep for a few years.  Instead of just throwing names out the please let me know why.
Thanks Robert
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Binoculars help and opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Lots of good brands out there.  Can get some good glasses from Nikon, Vortex, Leopold and others for $200-$400.  I recommend you go to a place that sells optics and try a bunch of them side by side.  You'll also need to decide on power, which will depend in part on where and how you hunt.  If you hunt brushy, rather close in country and mostly still hunt where you'll be using your binocs to check the area around you as you move, glasses in the 6 to 8 power range will do just fine.  10x glasses are difficult to hold still without a rest of some sort.  However, folks who do a lot of glassing (from sitting positions) in the western states lean toward 10x.  I use a good pair of 8x in both types of country.  Good luck.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Orion
Thank you for the advise. I will head down to the local Bass Pro Shop and take a look. I understand the 8 part and what I have read it seems 8 X 42  is the popular size.
I am new to hunting very new, I really dont want to sit in a tree. If you dont mind I would like your input on Camo vs black as well as the 42 part.
Thanks
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
I have the Leupold Cascades in 8x42 in matte black. I became a Leupold fan when I rifle hunted growing up....kinda like being a Chevy fan...just always had them while growing up.

I have been impressed with my Leupolds. I beat them up and nothing bad has happened. They're not too heavy and crystal clear...great in low light.

I did as mentioned above...went to Cabela's and held up a bunch of binos. Kinda hard to tell in the store with all the artificial light, but you'll get a general idea of what you like. Good luck!

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Im a western boy and I use 10X42s , but I think 8x42s are a good all around power. Black vs camo is strictly aesthetics, camo sells nowadays,  but IMO there is no tangible benifit to camo binos over black.

Just my $.02, YMMV

Fin
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:28:00 PM »
Also, I wouldn't go camo or black, I would go Vortex green. Great glass for the $ ,super tough, affordable, and  with the best warrenty there is,

Fin

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »
X2 on the Cascades.  Go with black and save a few bucks.  I have the 10X42s and they are very good for the price.

I don't really have a problem with holding the 10s, but I can see where 8 is better.  10s are sure nice in deciding wheather it's a button buck or doe though. JMO.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline ArkyBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Other than some reflective shiney finish I don't think it makes any diffenence what color it is.  I wouldn't buy camo over black or green or whatever, just because of the color, although I'm not opposed to camo. I just wouldn't pay extra for the camo.  There are so many choices of good optics.  I would go to as many stores as possible and try them all.  What works for me may not work for all, much like bows.

BOB
"There are some that can live without wild things, and some that cannot."  -  Aldo Leopold

Offline MTArrowLauncher

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
I didn't specifically mean the color, I meant I would suggest getting a pair of Vortex in your price range.  :)

Offline bowslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
For the money, Leupolds are hard to beat, IMHO.  Be sure to compare warranties, because not all warranties are equal.

The higher the power, in general, the greater the eye strain, unless you spend more money for better optics.  Also, the larger the objective lens, the heavier the binos will generally be.

8x42s are a good all around comibination for size, weight, magnification, and low light capabilites.  The more open the country you hunt, the more important binoculars are, because the more time you will likely be glassing.

Two predominant designs are roof prism and porro prism.  Roof prism binoculars will have straight tubes, while porro prisms will have tubes that are offset and wider.  Roof prisms are typically more expensive, but are less bulky, and in my experience, more durable. Steiner makes a reputable porro prism that isn't too expensive but has a good reputation, though.

Try an internet search for "selecting binoculars" and you will get numerous hits with a lot of good information on how to select the binoculars that will work best for your needs.

As has already been suggested, go to one or more stores wtih several brands of binculars, including lowto high dollar and see the differences for your self.  You will find what you need at a price you are comfortable with.

One more suggestion.  Buy a harness for your binoculars.  It will be well worth the money and it will keep your binoculars close to your chest when you shoot.

Good luck!
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Have a set of Steiners 8x 42's $125.

Offline John Whitaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »
I just received my Zen-Ray 8X43's from their demo sale ($251) and I'm really impressed by their clarity and construction. We'll see how they hold up after a season but for now I'm happy.

John

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 07:18:00 AM »
While you're at Bass Pro, check out the Bushnell Legend Binos. I have a pair of 8X36s and like them very well.

I live and hunt here in the east and they're just right as far as weight and size for my needs.

Good price and a very good warranty also.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
Robert,

The X 42 part is how big the light entrance for each ocular is (The big end).  The higher the number, the more light and clarity of the image.  42mm is great, and you can probably go down into the 30s, but I wouldn't recommend going lower than 32.  It just won't let in much light and the low light time periods are critical in hunting situations.  An 8X25, 8X32, 8X42, 8X50 will produce an image that is magnified 8times.  The 8X50 will let in twice the amount of light as the 8X25 so you can use it in much lower light conditions and the image will look better.  Try also to get the widest angle possible.

I like Bushnell's and Swift's for good basic optics.  Vortex and Cascade are nice also.  Eagle Optics is a good source for information as well as for purchasing.  Hope this helps.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
X3 on the Cascades. Lots of good bino out there, if you can compare each in person, you will find one pair that you like better. Also check the warranty. I really like the Nikon warranty.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
I just got a pair or Vortex and love them. camera land NY has the best price on them that Ive seen.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
I picked up a pair of Zen ed2 8x43 a while back used them all winter and most of this wet spring and am very impressed with quality. handle low light well, cold , rain no problems. Lens caps lacking quality design and are not lite weight for those who like ultralite gear.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I wouldn't suggest camo for the same reason you shouldn't get a camo knife or a camo flashlight. If you set them down and then your mind gets onto something else, picking them up out of the corner of your eye when you decide to walk is impossble. Orange or yellow flashlights are best IMHO.

The big question is, what do you want the binocs for? Western style glassing? Eastern style "sitting"?

For example, I "sit hunt" in Michigan. For me, Leupold 6x is the perfect binoc for really looking over deer at roughly 100-150 yards, or less, and with one hand, as my bow is across my lap. And 6X is great at low light. However, in settings where you're looking 300 yards or more, the 6X is about useless.

But for my needs, a 10X is about useless. Poor in up close low light, tough for one hand operation, etc.

So what is your main need?

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Mojostick hit perfectly above:needs will define glass.

If you are only spending an hour a day using them in closer cover, almost any 8x32 will get you by. If you are spending 4-6 hours a day behind them glassing, you will know what the phrase "you get what you pay for" means. Quality optics are a lifetime investment if you use them a lot, and rely on them for a lot of your hunting use.

Don't just rely on hunting info for optics advice. Birders, long range target folks, and others are a wealth of information on glass.

Personally, i'm a Meopta fan. Quality glass, solid warranty, and the new Meopros are actually assembled in the U.S. (the Meostars are still Czech made).
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:00 AM »
r:  Color makes no difference.  As others have pointed out, a 42-mm objective lens lets in more light, but it also makes for a relatively big/heavy bino.  I prefer 8x32s.  With the quality of the optics nowadays, you'll hardly notice the difference between 8x32s and 8x42s.  In a 10x, 42 mm or larger objective lens is definitely the way to go.  You're more likely to be carrying those in your pack most of the time rather than around your neck, so weight/bulk won't be as much of a factor.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©