3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wounding Policy?  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Wounding Policy?
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:17:00 AM »
Hey Guys,
 I have never been on a guided hunt before and I have been researching alot of outfitters for Elk and bear. My question to you is how do you guys feel about a wounding policy. It just doesn't sit right with me. I have avoided all outfitters in my search that have this policy. I consider myself a good shot and only take ethical shots but I feel it would bring an unneeded pressure to my subconscious. I realize that the outfitter may feel the need to protect their resources. I know no one plans on losing an animal but it does happen. Am I missing the boat here? What are your thoughts on this topic? Please convince me either way!
  Thanks and I look forward to your response!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline nc recurveman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wounding Policy?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 04:23:00 AM »
I think the outfittet has the right to protect the game he hunts from doofuses who would take bad shot and except the guide to work a miracle.
"You can't make chicken salad outta chicken sh.........Poo"

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
I have not lost very many wounded animals,but lost a few.I did not quit hunting for the year when I lost a wounded deer .That being said I will not hunt with a guide that has the draw blood and you are done policy.Just my 2 cents worth.I have only hunted with a guide 1 time and this situation did not happen as I found my bear.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
what "wounding policy"?  please explain.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
Are you researching guides for public land, private land, or high fence hunts?  My impression of public land hunts is that if you don't recover an animal you hope it survives and you still have an unused tag in your pocket.  I haven't heard of outfitters ending your hunt at that point, but then again I don't have much experience with that.

However, I went on one group hunt on a large fenced ranch and quickly learned it wasn't for me for a variety of reasons.  But yes, the policy there was that if you shoot an animal (draw blood / wound / kill) you pay for it, whether it is recovered or not.  Many of these places raise trophy animals, some of which they charge thousands for, and they can't afford to eat the cost of their investment if an unskilled or unethical hunter makes a bad shot.  Yes, a less than perfect shot can happen to anyone, but on a high-fence ranch there are financial consequences, and that increases the pressure, probably resulting in more bad shots.  I won't hunt on a ranch again, but I agree with their policy.  It's more of a business transaction and a paid activity than a hunt, and you're dealing with someone elses merchandise; you break, it you buy it.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »
I lost a big 8 pt a couple of years ago.  The locals found it an took the antlers.  Weather got hot and meat was spoiled.  I filled out the back tag and sent it in. I killed the deer but just couldn't find it.  Although I didn't pay for a guide, I felt I should at least pay with the tag.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
I've hunted with outfitters that have a wounding policy.  One size doesn't fit all, and I would NOT book with anyone that had an "any hit/draw blood" policy.   I don't have any problems with a lethal hit policy.  The best you can hope for  is to have a good hunt and hopefully an opportunity.  If the opportunity comes and I blow it... well... it's on me.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I understand why an outfitter does this,but would never hunt an outfit with this rule being enforced.Like stated above,it would be added stress.
Leland

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Most animals that are shot with arrows and not recovered, don't die. With guns it's different- much more wound trauma and likelihood of infection leading to death from a wound that would not be lethal with an arrow. I would avoid an outfitter that does not know this.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline piggy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
I can see why outfitters would have this policy,
they may get you onto game but in the end it's up to the hunter to be proficient with their bow, know when to and when not to take the shot.
Unfortunately I have heard of bow hunters hitting numerous animals on hunts and not recovering a single animal mainly due to poor shot placement.
Here in Australia outfitters usually give the "trophy fee" to the property owner what happens when the property owner finds that big buck dead and no "trophy fee" in his pocket? the outfitter looses access or it can become a trust issue.

Just my thoughts
cheers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
A Car dealership doesn't allow you to pick out a new car if you lose yours on the way home?

This is an outfitters lively hood. If he has limited stand sites and someone comes into camp and wounds 3-6 bears (it can easily happen(and probably does a lot)), the next group may give him a bad name for not seeing anything (which also probably happens).

I do not disagree with their stand point!  

Nor do I disagree with yours either! I would hate to stop hunting because I lost an animal on the first day.  I would hope to be able to keep looking for it all week.

That is why we are able to make choices on where we go to hunt. Choices are a wonderful thing.

Hope you find a place agreeable with your ethic.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 09:17:00 AM »
Hunters's Point in Portage, Maine, does not have such a policy and is one of the best bear hunts in Maine. In addition they particularly like trad bowhunters.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Just as a another bit of info when I guided elk hunters out of the 5 only ONE could hit the broadside of a barn. I got all my hunters broadside standing shots and under 100 yards to boot. Even then they could not hit the animal with a good shot. Legs blown off, stomach hits, rear flanks.
So I can understand a policy that puts some weight onto the hunters themselves to arrive able to make a good shot because there are some who won't/don't unless they are forced to somehow.

I don't think trad archers fall into this category though...

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »
When hunting bears in Alaska, the guide/hunter is not given the option, state law requires that if you draw blood while bear hunting you must fill your tag, rather the animal is recovered or not.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
There are some hog outfitters that have this policy. I totally disagree with it(unless it's the law).

I had a friend that shot two hogs. The guides made a short attempt to look for both hogs, I told them I would stay and look for one of them. They said they couldn't leave me out there alone
in the dark(as if I hadn't hunted alone 1000 times before).
They charged him for both hogs($300).
Needless to say we didn't go back.
Can't speak about bears and elk, but most hogs not initially recovered, I believe, survive.
I DO think it negatively affects people's shooting ability(having that in the back of their mind).
I know it's their livelihood,but Guides can be selective about who they guide.
I guide fly-fisherman. The first thing I ask is, how is your casting? That determines where I can take them to fish.
On guided hunts(hogs), I am upfront with the guides that I need to get close(15 yards).
Hopefully, people hunting bears and elk with archery gear have killed a bunch of animals before booking a guided hunt.

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Cyclic river, the dealership wouldn't but your insurance would in your ananolgy. Maybe outfitters that have the draw blood and done could do an insurance plan that they could offer if this happens. I guess the way i look at it is if the outfitter has a proficincy test or watches one test shoot they can usually tell what they are dealing with and can make recomendations based on that. This would force some of the yahoo's to come better prepared. As anyone reading this knows in all the excitement things can go wrong and I don't have control how hard they look for the hit critter. I appreciated all the input so far.
 Rob what I mean by a wounding policy is that if you draw blood you punch your tag. I mean any blood even just a superficial cut.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I don't think it would bother me. If I were to wound an animal on an outfitted hunt the hunt would be over before I was in the right frame of mind to try again anyway. I couldn't imagine wounding something one day and having my head on straight enough to try again the next.

Offline moththerlode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Don't think such a policy would bother me. If the shot is edgy don't take it.  Which should be a mind set any way.
I have lost game and was very very upset with myself over it, some don't seem to mind it much though.
God,Country and Family ..Semper Fi

Valley Springs Ca.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »
Animals that are hit in the body below the spine will generally die. It can take a month but it will happen-there may be exceptions.
I think an outfitter is wise to spell it out, I'm sure they get to deal with all kinds; but forget the outfitter for a moment-what is your personal policy?

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I think it's pretty tough to have a "one size fits all" rule in this case.  I can understand the position from the guides point of view, think of the incompetent shooters they must deal with at times.  On the other hand unscrupulous guides could use it as an excuse to quit early if the trail turned out to be long and arduous.  Lots of game is recovered through hard work after the shot.  Hopefully guide/outfitters that have a rule like this take the situation and circumstances in to consideration when it comes to enforcing the rule.

I wouldn't want to hunt with a rule like this over my head.  Bad things can happen to the best of hunters when shooting at live animals.  It is up to us as individuals to practice year round, be conservative in shot selection, then work our butt off to recover hit game.  Unfortunately things don't always work out.  I think the choice should then be up to the individual and their conscious as to whether they kept hunting.  I would feel terrible, but I would keep hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©