3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: you have all seen it before...  (Read 531 times)

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
you have all seen it before...
« on: May 21, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
For those of us still wondering...

One piece or take down.

I probably will never fly, and don't like allen wrenches. My next bow will be of the perfect weight, so no need for alternate limbs, and I don't see closing one in the truck door..

Why get a take down???
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: you have all seen it before...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
'Cause some of them are really cool looking.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
All of my current bows are one piece.  I just like the simplicity and smooth, organic flow of the looks.  I had a Dan Quillion Patriot and never broke it down.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Thanks for your responses so far, I know this topic has been brought up plenty.. and I've used the search function.

I'm just not one of you guys that will own 20 bows.
Only one. I AM Neurotic!
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I like one piece bows as well. But I've had some very nice 3 piece bows that were sweet.

But my heart belongs to the one piece bows.

I, too, am mainly a one bow man. I have my main bow(Kanati hybrid) and then I have a bowfishing/backup Browning Wasp. Oh, and I also have my osage self bow but it's too much draw weight, so I never shoot it. They're all one piece bows.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
I like them to be able to change to different weight or styles of limbs.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
By the way..
You know the difference between a psychotic and a neurotic, right?

A psychotic believes 2 plus 2 equals 5.

A neurotic knows 2 plus 2 equals 4, but he worries about it.

When it comes to trad gear, that's me.
BW PCH III

His servant

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
As a psychotic mountain hunter, i know having a t/d in my pack so i can use two trekking poles when loaded going up and down is a wonderful thing.
I would never use a one piece for those hunts again.
That and the voices told me so.
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
You just stated the single best reason for owning a break down.  Your only going to own one bow.  Versatility trumps one piece in my book.  If you buy the right bow it will still look like a one piece.  Check out the Royals by Wes Wallace.  Tricia and I have six of his two pieces.  They are the only bows we shoot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Swiftspeed10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
if you really cant decide get some of the new 2 piece bows where the screw in bold is inside the leather grip so you can't even tell!
Benny
-------------------------------------------------------------
Centaur Glass 57# at 28" (58")
Sauk Trail Kenu 40# at 27" (52")--->waiting for build

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »
You have answered your own question. The only reason to own a takedown over a one piece is to be able to take it apart into pieces or change out the limbs. If you absolutely, positively will never, ever take the bow apart or change/add limbs, buy the one piece. If you are like most people and at some point would like to, or need to, take the bow apart for whatever reason, then a takedown bow is the way to go. I agree that a good two piece bow that breaks apart at the riser is the ideal solution for someone who prefers the feel of a one piece but would like to be able to take it apart on occasion. With a two piece bow, you don't need tools, there are no loose parts to lose, and the bow feels just like a one piece when it is together. The only drawback in my mind to a two piece bow versus an otherwise identical one piece bow is the added cost. And if you only have one bow, the cost will not be very significant.

It sounds like you only need a one piece bow if everything you say is accurate and will never change. Of course, if things do change, you can always buy a different bow.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lost Creek Bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
I feel the three piece bow gives the archer alot to offer, added mass weight(which allows for errors in the archers form and release),  the choice of multiple limb options(different cosmetic qualities ,draw weights, and different lengths, allowing different types of hunting scenerios.
May the spirit of archery always be with you,and keep you young at heart.  www.lostcreekbow-com.webs.com

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
My first and only bow has been a three peice recurve.  It was nice to travel with.  Not even on an airliner mind you.  Just to be able to pack it away and know it was safe from damage inside my suitcase was nice.  Of course a nice hard shell case could solve that issue.  Anyway, over time my limbs got twisted because they weren't being realigned properly.  I now have a one peice (used Bear Grizzly) on the way.  Plus to me, there's a considerable weight difference in the hand of a one-peice vs. a take down.  Not a big deal when sitting on stand all day.  But hunting the hills of Nebraska all day and one would notice I'm sure.  My .2 cents.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Am I the only one who looses the dang allan wrenches all the time?  I swear I have a gnome in my house that keeps thieving them.  I finally bought a big T handled one and painted it pink. See how long that lasts.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Definately a one-piece fan. Like the smoother lines - much prettier to me,and I don't care for a lot of riser mass either... Except for my Hoyt Gamemaster. That ones a keeper, go figure.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:49:00 AM »
For most makes of custom bows I tend to like the looks of the take-down version more than the one-piece. Exceptions are the Super Wildcat by Brandon at Rose Oak and the PA vs the PSA by Widow -- I like the 1-piece better.

I much prefer the TD versions of Blacktail and Schafer. I like the bit of extra heft the TDs offer.

I rarely fly with a bow and I don't take my takedowns apart much, but for me the TD is the safer bet in terms of aesthetic satisfaction.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
For me it is purely the convenience of being able to change weights or getting new limbs if one should break. If you find a riser that really fits you having several sets of limbs for it makes it long lived and versatile.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
With a TD you just take it apart and go home. With a one piece you have to bash the thing into splinters against a tree when you miss a buck.... no brainer!!
   ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
I'm pondering the same question as you.  I have a custom recurve on order and need to choose between TD or OP.  I'll probably go with a TD even though I think the OP is aesthetically nicer.  The clean lines of a one piece is tough to beat.  

There are a few things I like about the TD.  One is the ability to mount a quiver under the limb bolts.  I don't care for the strap on type.  It's always nice to be able to take the bow down and pack it securely, even if you don't think you ever would...just never know.  I also like the mass weight of the TD, speaking of 3 piece recurves here.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
The locket socket design twopiece is the best of all worlds. Its a onepiece unless you need a twopiece. Very convenient and solid and looks and feels just like a onepiece.
God bless you all, steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©