3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black bear sighting in Oceana county MI  (Read 251 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Black bear sighting in Oceana county MI
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
My buddy saw a decent black bear crossing his road about 200yds from his house a couple days ago.

Wish he got a pic.
Might try some bear hunting....

This doesn't happen much around here.
If you hold up your left hand to show MI's lower pen Oceana co is your pinky knuckle.

((((( please don't turn this into a legal debate )))

But... this kind of stuff makes me wish it was legal to carry a sidearm while bowhunting in MI without having to have a concealed weapon permit.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black bear sighting in Oceana county MI
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 02:26:00 AM »
Why do you need a sidearm? I have a single wide hunting cabin in Oceana County and a black bear bent the clothes pole to take down my suet cakes!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:00 AM »
Lots of bears here in PA and I've never felt the need to carry a side arm.  Just be halfway smart when you encounter a bear and you'll be fine.  If you put things into perspective, being attacked by a bear is one of the least likely ways you could get hurt while bowhunting.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Had an encounter 2 years ago in July driving a dirt road South of Baldwin in Newaygo county. The picture we took is not good and if you look real close all you can see is a black fur spot.

It was a LARGE sow with 2 cubs.

I hope to encounter one while on stand this fall if I get up there. I think it would be pretty wild to watch a bear for a while.

OFF TOPIC:
I heard a story from a reputable source that a guy in Oceana had some trouble with a pack of coyotes circling him in a field while walking out one night...

Ei

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
Our cabin is near Walkerville and there have been a few bear sightings recently and I heard the yote story also.....Scott
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
yeah, I've heard the yote story too.

Urban myth?.... you decide.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©