3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If Mel Johnson would have killed his record buck today..what.........?  (Read 557 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Kind of notice would he recieve? everyone is chasing that "record" buck with a compound and the companies are eager to pay BIG dollars to the one who can achieve this; but if that same deer was shot today with a recurve or longbow, would it bring as much attention as it would in the wheel world?

Would like to know your thoughts.....thanks

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
only to the good guy's
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Tucker P

• Trad Bowhunter
IMHO it would definitely get the same amount of attention...but unfortunately wouldnt be nearly as lucrative as if shot with the wheels...i just dont think the traditional companies out there could compete with the major wheel bow manufacturers in that respect...either way there is a group of us who love traditional archery and would appreciate that accomplishment for what it truly is!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
I could probably name about 30,000 +that would rave about it:)
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
Trad Bow companies/bowyers perhaps wouldn't have the finances to make it too lucrative, but if he had the right camo clothing on.... or would say he likes so and so's brand...money in the bank.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would hope that hopefully there would much adulation at a fine effort and wonderful animal without any money changing hands ...
I understand sponsorship etc regarding equipment and product placement etc , but remain very uncomfortable when a $$$ value is attached to hunters 'succeeding ' with game animals  .

Ol fashioned ain't I ?

As an Aussie , i always remember that photo of Mr Johnson , crew cut hairstyle if I remember correctly. It seemed to encompass 'bowhunting' to a kid from the suburbs of Melbourne  ... but  what sort of bow ?
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Some would depend upon the hunter. Not everyone runs to the camera or print media.  

I would tend to be most impressed with the deer.  Next with the hunter if he did it without someone saying "climb that tree".  The type of bow (not brand) would be a distant third.

I would have no interest in the clothing, accessories, or the oderant the hunter scattered about.

From what I've read Mr. Johnson did it like it was done in his day, without designer jeans, hair gel, singers pimp'n songs, or fancy "team" buses.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
For me I can say that it would only matter to me. I shot a record buck here in NH with my recurve in 1990. It was unbelievable what I heard about myself from people that didn't realize it was me they were talking to. I wouldn't mind shooting a world record but to be honest, it's like being proud of something one of your children has done or accomplished. It really is only meaningful for those involved. Everyone else's reaction is either sincere thoughts from friends or it's someone who is jealous or someone who wants to get something ($$$) for themselves out of your good fortune. I would share it with my close friends and family, you guys here and maybe two other sites and that would be it. If someone wanted me to write a story I would but that would be the end of it.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Something to chew on... Since it’s inception, all P&Y whitetail so-called world records and broken former world records through the years were all killed with traditional equipment except the Beatty Buck.

Following that up, anyone recall what bow models Mel Johnson, and Del Austin shot?

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
I kinda agree with Bill. A friend that writes for a State outdoor magizine asked if he could interveiw myself and my hunting buddy John about public land pig hunting. We agreed and thought it would be cool. People were talking saying we killed so many because we " baited" , hunted at night, had good hunting clubs and just said we hunted public land....you get the picture.If I killed a "monster" buck only my hunting buddies around home and my TG buddies of course would know. RC

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
I kind of agree with Bill as well. The problem is I would have to think about my family and how it could help them have a better life. If it was just my wife and I, I would probably not even enter it into the books. The only money dealyou would loose on is from the big bow company, as said I wear Rocky boots and carry a certain knife and wear certain clothes, plus the story rights would be huge as well, sorry but my family comes first and I believe it would help them lead better lives thru college and paying off mortgages and what not. Mel would of made out better today than back than for sure!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
I'm pretty sure Mel shot a Howatt Hunter. Just saw a picture of him recently and the bow looked just like a Howatt. My first thought about Del Austin was that he shot either a Jack Howard or a Bear Magnum....but that is my fuzzy memory talking...not certain at all but if I was on Who Wants to be a Millionaire it would be one of those two bows.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
I would like to see a trad shooter kill the new  world record whitetail just to prove that a bowhunter doesn't need all the gadgets etc. to achieve such a feat. Is that wrong?  :bigsmyl:

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
Yep, Mel Johnson used a Howatt (Martin) Hunter, but am not sure of the poundage or broadhead.

From info I wrote down, you receive a
beeeeep on your Del Austin guess...   :)  

Clue - It pulled 45# @ 28".

Offline michigan bill

• Trad Bowhunter
mel johnson used a zwickey eskimo and del austin used a bear razorhead.
the august 1963 outdoor life story about old mossy horns - del austin's non-typical shot in 1962 - got me started bowhunting.  and i have not stopped since!
johnson's typical buck was shot in '65 and it seems unbelievable that the record - 204.5 - still stands.
I'm just happy to be here!

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
According to an article I found, " Johnson, a left-hander who was using a 72-pound Howett recurve bow and a Zwickey broadhead on a fiberglass arrow..."

Article:  http://prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/hunting/article/mel_johnsons_13_pointer/
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
It is sad this question is even asked but unfortunately advertising is where it's at but the entire trad community would be estatic.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
I like Del Austins buck.  Mels story is cool too.  :thumbsup:
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's see, Who was that kid in Ohio that broke Del's record?? What kind of bow was he shooting? I can't remember, only that he called it in using a Primos can.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
I have to add that Gene Wensels buck "Woody" was a very impressive creature.   :cool:  

222 7/8- that takes alot of antler!!  :eek:  
  http://www.iowagameandfish.com/hunting/whitetail-deer-hunting/IA_0905_01/
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©