3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would this be crazy?  (Read 420 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Would this be crazy?
« on: May 22, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »
I'm currently shooting a 40#@28 and draw 27", would it be crazy to jump to something 57#@27. I'm young only 20, pretty fit and probably shoot around 100 shots a day.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Would this be crazy?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:34:00 AM »
yes it would be crazy.  I would suggest 5# increase.  Young and fit has not much to do with it.

James
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
With a 17# jump you'll still be 20, but you'll be frustrated with your form and shooting about 20 shots a day    :nono:

Seriously though, I think staying at 40 and developing proper form would be advantageous.  How long have you been shooting?  Why are you so anxious to jump up in weight?  

If you really want to move up in weight I agree that 5# should be fine.  Develop your drawing/holding muscles some more and then make another jump.  Good luck.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
I started shooting when I was about 12 but have only really been serious for about a year, this is when I got the 40# and at first it was a little hard but after a few days I didn't have any problem. I feel the 40 is to easy for me now, and want to increase weight but without having to buy 5 bows.

I was really thinking of going to 52# but I just hopeful that when I get it I'm not wishing I went with more weight.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I do not recommend it, but then again I blew my shoulder out when I was around 20 years old  pushing the limit of my shoulders lifting weights.

It was not related to archery, but still a less than intelligent move trying to go up in weight too fast.

Yes, it's expensive to move up in bows slowly, but it's worth not having shoulders like mine for the next 60 years.

I agree with mikebiz in terms of accuracy as well.

As for me, I love my low to mid 40# bows.  I have a few up over 50#'s, but would never be able to shoot 57# more than a few a day.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
build your self a draw trainer,out of a peice of alum.tube,some elastic (bungi)cord,and two eyelets.I have one with 5 cords,that draws from 35# to 70# depending how many cords I draw.It is 60in long and feels just like drawing a bow. Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
Take your time and work your way up in weight.  bsv has the right idea for building strength in your shoulders and back, trainers do work. Develop your form first before moving up in weight. Good Luck
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
It would be real crazy.It is the kind of thing that can create form issues that will plague you the rest of your life.I agree with the 5# increase.

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
I agree with everyone else in just increasing by 5# at a time, Form is more important than raw strength in terms of your longevity in the sport & abilities of maintaining accuracy.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »
Yes it would be crazy, take you time do it the right way it will come. I had and older gentleman tell me when I was in my twenty  "if I new I was going to last this long I would of taken better care of myself"  fast forward twenty years I get what he saying.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
Yup. Crazy. I have fought tendonitis for years until I finally wised up and went down in weight. I also spend a great deal of time on low-weight/high-rep weight lifting concentrating on shoulders and back muscles, especially lifts designed to prevent rotor cuff injuries.  

One thing you can do though is go to an ILF bow. You're 20. It would be a good investment. Check out the Trad Tech Pinnacle II and from there you can choose from a wide assortment of limbs (some expensive like carbon & foam and some glass limbs that are pretty cheap). You can also go back and forth from long bow to recurve. And... you can trade and sell the limbs if you want as you move up in draw weight. Then when you get where you think you're going you can spend your nest egg on a custom bow.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Split the difference first, get a fifty pounder, work up to it. Once comfortable with that make the jump again..........
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
Buy a take down with an extra set of limbs.  Go up to 47# and then the other set could be 55#.  I'm going thru the paces right now from shooting to heavy of a bow.  I went from 68# down to 64#, then last year I traded for a 59# then bought a 57# 3 piece for which I just ordered a set of 45# limbs for.  

I also just had a MRI done to my shoulder on Thursday, and find out the results on Tuesday.  It was so bad, I can't even shoot my buddies 45# bear Kodiak.  SHoulder problems have plagued me for about 15 years, and I have finally gotten to the point where putting it off is no longer an option.  Go up slowly in weight, or you will deffinatly regret it later in life.  And believe me, it is absolutely no fun at all having stuff either hurt continously, or go numb on you.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
I guess it all depends on how "Easy" the 40#er is, but yeah, thats a Big jump ....

Offline goatkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Keep the 40#.

And shoot 200 arrows a day.
Maki-Mato

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Deffinetly crazy , try something heavyer from one of your buddies for a couple hundred one after another shots and you will understand.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Why exactly 57#?  Is there a certain bow that you have your eye on?  If it's a used one, and a deal that might not come along again, I say go for it.  If you are buying a new bow, I wouldn't jump that far in draw weight.  Maybe go to 50#, even that is will feel pretty heavy compared to 40".  57# isn't that heavy a draw weight that most adult men can't handle it, whether you need it is another discussion.  

You don't say what you will do with it.  Target work, you are better off staying with the weight you have.  A new bow might be fun, but you don't need more weight.  For hunting, a bump is probably a good idea.  I see you are in Australia, some big critters over there and 57# is far from overkill on large game.  If this is a chance at a nice used custom bow that will disappear if you pass, buy it.  If not, listen to the solid advice already given in your post.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE,,,IN END U WONT BE DISAPOINTED,,,TRY 5# INCREASE, BUY A USED BOW THAT U LIKE, WOULD RECOMMEND ONE THAT U COULD TRADE FOR OR SELL PRETTY FAST IN CLASSIFIEDS,,,SO WHEN U HAVE CONTROL OVER THE BOW ,AND YOUR SHOOTING IT LIKE YOUR 40# U THEN COULD MOVE ON TILL YOU REACH YOUR DESIRED WEIGHT,,, MAYBE YOU'LL FIND THAT 57# IS NOT WHERE U WANT TO BE,,,U MIGHT FIND YOUR GROOVE AT A LIGHTER WEIGHT ,BETWEEN 50# AND 57#, GOOD ENOUGH FOR ANY BIG GAME KILL,,,REMEMBER IF YOUR LIKE OTHERS HERE U ALSO WANT TO SHOOT GOOD DURING THE 3D COURSE WHILE HAVING FUN,YOU'LL BUILD CONFIDENCE,AND AT THE SAME TIME BE RESPECTED FOR BEING A GREAT SHOT,AMONGST YOUR FRIENDS WHICH IS ALSO GREAT,,,MAKE THE BEST OF THE TRANSITION, BUYING, SELLING,AND TRADING,WHILE LEARNING ALL NEW THINGS ALONG THE WAY,,,THATS MY SIMPLE AND HUMBLE OPINION,GOOD LUCK,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline CaptainJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I don't think it's crazy. You don't have to start out shooting 100 shots a day. If you've been shooting that much for a year with the 40# your body is conditioned to shooting.

Start each day with the 40#, shoot a couple dozen to warm up then grab the 57# and shoot half a dozen for a few days, concentrating on good form. After a few days shoot the 40 a little less and the 57 a little more. Continue until you've weaned yourself of the 40 and are shooting the heavier bow all the time.

Take at least one day of rest per week and more if your body needs it. If you start having shoulder or accuracy problems, drop back down in weight.

There's a lot of wisdom coming from the guys saying "don't do it". Take note and be careful.

I started with a 55# when I was 20 and fit so I know it can be done. I still shoot that 55# now that I'm 45 and fat, but still don't hesitate to shoot friend's 70#+ bows when given the chance, I just don't shoot 100 times the first day.

CJ

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
There's a lot of difference between a 40lb and 57lb bow. I remember when I was young, strong, in good shape and shooting tournaments regularly with a #48lb recurve and pulled back a 60lber., was nothing I wanted to have to hold at full draw.

I'd find a 50lb, draw it and see how it feels and go from there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©