3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Gloves, what do you use and why?  (Read 448 times)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Gloves, what do you use and why?
« on: May 22, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
Just wanted to ask a question of those, like me that only use a glove or finger stalls for shooting. Not talking about tabs here, only gloves.
For many years I only wore the Damascus glove because I needed to feel the string. Due to the Texas heat and sweaty hands they only lasted a few months. Soon, they even started to rip apart in the finger tip area where the string touched.  Additionally, because they were thin, I developed a couple of callouses on my fingers and my finger tips were constantly sore. But I endured and wore the callouses as a badge of honor respecting the sport that I loved. About 18 months ago, I tried the finger stall type glove with a cordovan overlay in the string area. It took awhile to get used to it and broken in, but it has lasted at least 5 times as long as the Damascus glove, and it works for me. My fingers are no longer sore and the callouses have gone away. So, that leads me back to the question for y'all. What gloves do you use and why?
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Gloves, what do you use and why?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Grizzly broadheads used to make a glove that was tan colored. I have 3 of those and they have lasted a long time for me. I don't think they make them anymore but they were my favorite. I tried those brown Damascus gloves and they were no where near the quality.
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I really like the Dura glove from 3Rivers.

Why do I like it? The bow string don't leave grooves in it, and they seem to last forever.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
The 3 rivers Dura glove is a decent glove and I liked that I could feel the string fairly well. I lost mine last year and got a free Bear Archery economy glove. I like both but would be willing to try others. Before then I used tabs or would tape my fingers.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
Recently got a Super Glove from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. When I start using it as my regular glove, I will have to adjust because I shoot consistently high with it over my other gloves. I have shot the Martin gloves for a long time and like them, but for the last year or so have been shooting the gloves from Rocky Mt. Specialty Gear. They wear pretty fast, but I like them because I can really feel the string.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
ABS or Grizzly glove with the cordovan leather tips. Gets very slick with use for a clean release and is pretty thick to protect fingers from heavy bows and heavy use.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
Danny - first off....way to go at Chester! Looked at the results last night and it was great to see your name near the top of a couple of the classes.  I've been trying to switch to a tab for months and yesterday Killdeer gave me a tip that made tab shooting pain free.  I've got a big shot glove, and an old American Leathers glove that was the forerunner to the big shot in large if you want me to ship them to you so you can try them.  Both are in great shape.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline MarkE2006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
Longbow Open and Longbow Wood!  :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:  

I use a simple Neet glove with personnally selected to be heavier leather in the tips.  Also like the camo version because the split or suede leather will stain your wrist with sweat, bugspray, and sunscreen are used.  I have been considering a Super Glove or cordovan tab, but not tried yet.
'10 Howard Hill Wesley Special 70" 45@28; '09 Turkey Creek 62" 55@28; '09 Brush Country Wasp II 64" 54@28; '07 Turkey Creek Dbl Carbon 64" 56@28; '64 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 38@28; '62 Wing Red Wing Hunter 58" 50@28

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I started out with a standard berlin deerskin glove and loved the feel.  I then purchased a dura glove from 3 rivers hoping that the cordura would shoot better.  At first I hated it because it was like shooting with boards on your fingers.  I set it back as my spare and forgot about it.  Then one summer I decided to use it hoping to break it down.  It worked and now it is my favorite glove.  It doesn't wrinkle and the string comes of smooth and quick.  Come to think about it I should buy another one and break it in this summer.

Offline EL Mejor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
3 RIVERS DURA GLOVE,,,
GREAT MEN LIVE DANGEROUSLY,small men don,t take chances...

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Green - PM sent.

MarkE2006 - The glove I'm using now is the Neet Traditional glove with the cordovan overlays from 3 Rivers. As I said, they take a little breaking in but the cordovan stays slick.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 03:39:00 PM »
Another vote for the Dura Glove.  Second choice would be a Big Shot from American Leathers.

The Dura Glove lets me feel the string well, doesn't form a groove, and has a full palm.  I like the full palm since I use a leather glove with three finger tips cut off over my shooting glove in cold weather.  A full palm is much easier when it comes to separating the two.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
I like and still use a damascus, for all the reasons everyone liked them.   I need to feel the string.   Durability was always a problem, until I started to tie on my knock point with floss instead of using the metal kind.  Now they last quite awhile.   Used to be lucky to get one season from them.   I never have problems with calouses, and actually can shoot quite a bit bare-fingered.  

I have one of the dura-gloves, and I like it too.  Good feel on the string, and they are durable!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline don s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
i tried using stalls but after my hands sweat they spin on my fingers and want to come off. i tried am american leathers big shot and i don't like the nylon webbing on the fingers. i like to feel the string and not worry about the fingers spinning and falling off. i bought the berlin deer skin glove from 3 rivers. i love it. the fingertips are perfect for me to feel the string but not too thin where my fingers get sore. there were other full palm gloves but i'm not crazy about cordovan leather. too stiff for me. don

Offline lilbobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
I've used just about every glove there is, till late the skokum was my favorite. But the last one didn't seem as well made as the ones before; So I order a Dura glove from 3 rivers, I've had it now for about 6 months. I shoot everyday almost and it's still like new and you can feel the string: I like it!
Conny

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
I have and will continue to use American Leathers "Big SHot".  I should probably buy another, just incase they stop making them.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Online paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
Baseman G9 with cordovan tips and lace-up adjustable stalls...love it.

Offline Cool Springer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I've used the same Dura glove for over 2 years.  The leather started to dry and crack from sweating, so I rubbed in some Pitchblend and it's nearly as good as new.  The cordura finger material shows very little wear.
Javaman Elkheart, 58", 51 @ 30
Foley Longbow 53 @ 30
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 53 @ 29
Allegheny Mountain Recurve 61 @ 29

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
HH Deluxe-For the finger protection-Hap

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
I have a Damascus. It's the only glove I've ever used and I'm used to it. I use dental floss as nock points, so my glove doesn't wear out too fast.

I'd be interested in trying out some of the Cordovan tabs.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©