3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just an idea on a shooting contest  (Read 322 times)

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
Just an idea on a shooting contest
« on: May 22, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
I'm just throwing this out there for the gang to think about, I play around plinking with BB guns and the crosman air pistol forum has a monthly contest where the guys shot on a designated scored airgun target that can be printed out online. They even confirm the dia. With a measurement. I think they take 6 shots, post the pic with their score at a certain yardage. It goes by the pure honesty system, the only prize is bragging rights, but they seem to get into it and enjoy it. I have not seen any posts of someone questioning anyones honesty or anything like that. It just for fun and conversation along with a few laughs. They have more rules like freehand shooting verses shooting off a rest and obviously the rules could be tailored to shooting a trad bow. I think I have thrown out enough ideas to see if the gang thinks it would be fun to try, We have some good people here that might enjoy heading this up. On the crosman forum, no one really is in charge, they just start a post at the beginning of each month where everyone posts there target pic and score. Just throwing it out there,
Dan
Compton member & Michigan Traditional Bowhunter member.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just an idea on a shooting contest
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I have seen several online tourneys here. Somebidy throws out a thread and some guidelines, and everybody posts their results. Lots of fun! (If you have the time and can participate.)

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »

My score would be 21, I missed 3 times, just a way they do it, it's looks like fun. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a marksmen, I don't even know if I would enter, but I saw it and them guys were having fun with it so I thought I would throw it out there.
Dan

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I have seen several online tourneys here. Somebidy throws out a thread and some guidelines, and everybody posts their results. Lots of fun! (If you have the time and can participate.)

Killdeer
Maybe I posted something we are already doing, like I said they seemed to really enjoy it and I thought I would just toss the idea out there.
Dan

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Great idea.  How far away from your target were you?  For me that would have been my pattern at 10 yards!  I am still learning and trying to hone my shooting skills.  An online challenge would help me focus and possibly shoot better.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:00 PM »
It was 10 yards, I just quickly threw up the target after my first post and flung some arrows ! Just to show how you can take the pic for score, actually you only need the pic with the holes. As you can see, it took me basically 15 minutes (between my posts) to run out, set up the target and fling arrows, take a pic and post ! I just did it because as I was typing I realized a pic is worth a 1000 words so I ran out and did it.

You have the right mentality for the contest paperengineer !
It's only to create conversation and provide a little challenge to focus on your shot and have fun. If it became a contest to win, then the fun goes bye bye. I could see the occasional robin hood (split arrow) getting posted, it would give us something to whoop & holler about. Like I said, just a thought I'm throwing out there, this gang here is a respectable / honest bunch, I think we could have fun with it.

I must admit, it was fun posting what I did, and you can see there is no bragging rights to my shooting    :p  

Go ahead, grab a rifle or pistol target, paper plate with circles on it, fling 6 arrows and post your pic. I shot at 10 yards, don't mean you have to, maybe 20 is a better yardage.
Dan

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
My inner bullseye circle was approximatle 1 inch, the outermost circle was 8 1/2 inch if you are using a paper plate & drawing circles, if the idea takes off, we can decide on actual diameters on the target. The scores on my target were 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & x (bullseye) I don't even know what x is worth ? I imagine we have target guys here that know. To me it would be worth some bragging rights    ;)  

Give it a shot and post your pic, we might find out real quick this plan has flaws     :dunno:    

Or we might see some pretty good shooting and decide it needs to be a 30 yard range     :)  

Show us your Robin Hoods ! For bragging rights !

Dan

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
On another trad forum I frequent, they have  the "First Shot Challenge". The rules are simple:

1) The winner from the previous week calls a shot.

2) The shot has to be your first one of the day.

3) Everybody who wants to play takes the shot and then takes a picture of it and posts it on the thread for that weeks shot.

4) The person who called the shot for that week declares the winner and the winner calls the shot for the next week.

It is pretty fun and the guys come up with some good shots.

Bisch

Offline Schafer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
sounds fun. Here's a link of a hole bunch of printable targets that are a possible use depending on what happens.
 http://www.dewclawarchery.com/printable_targets-a/136.htm.

Schafer
“There’s more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” - Fred Bear

53@29 Randy Morin Banshee
66@29 Schafer Silvertip

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
You could just use a regular old paper plate.  You know, the 9" ones with the corrugated edges.  They're really cheap.

Offline RM81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:14:00 AM »
Sounds like fun.  I'd also recommend using a target than can be printed out on a regular 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper.

We had a winter weekly shoot here that ran about 8 weeks.  I think there were about 40 people that participated.  It was a lot of fun too.

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
I like this idea.  And I second the idea of using the paper plates.  For a couple bucks, you've got a ton of targets.  Take a sharpie and put a dot in the center and fire away.  No real need to score it.  Just have fun with it, I say.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
I think this sounds awesome! I'm in for sure! I like the idea of the winner of the week calling the next weeks shots (yardage, through limbs, or whatever). When do we start?!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
The "Calling the Shot" is a good idea, First Arrow and All. BUT, for those of Us that are City Stuck.....Dont HAVE Limbs to Shoot through, and cant do more than 15 Yards.   :dunno:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Shakes.602:
The "Calling the Shot" is a good idea, First Arrow and All. BUT, for those of Us that are City Stuck.....Dont HAVE Limbs to Shoot through, and cant do more than 15 Yards.    :thumbsup:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
We could take a paper plate and shoot one shot each morning.  Mark each shot with number 1-7. At the end of the week, post a picture of our plates and our first shot groups.  We could do a different distance or a different position each morning.

Something like this ( with the target at 12:00):
Monday, 10 yards, kneeling, facing 12:00.
Tuesday, 12 yards, standing, facing 9:00.
Wednesay, 15 yards, kneeling, facing 3:00.
Thursday, 17 yards, standing, facing 6:00.
Friday, 20 yards, sitting on a bucket, facing 2:00.
Saturday, 10 yards, crouching with the bow horizontal to the ground.
Sunday,  13 yards, standing, facing 6:00, reverse cant.
Bonus shot, 20 yards, laying on stomach.

I basically do this anyway, mixing it up a lot.

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I don't know about the daily thing, that might be too much and chase some away, keep it cheap and simple, not everyone has a printer, use a paper plate, or heck just a piece of paper.

Trace out a quarter for the bullseye = 10 points
Trace out a beer or pop can around the bullseye = 8 points
Trace a 6 inch plate = 6 points
If you hit the plate or a 8 inch circle = 4 points

Just more ideas to keep it fun & cheap. If someone wants to head this up, go for it !  I'm happy just passing along the idea.
Dan

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »
Sure I'll be in charge of it for a month. If everything is going well and people enjoy it we'll have it last longer! I'll start a new thread sometime this week and get the shooting going the beginning of next week. PM me for more ideas on what you guys want.
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline dan d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Once it gets going, it should run itself, the one I see on the crosman forum just runs itself. They do it monthly, around the first week of the month someone starts a post called monthly contest and posts their score, the others then post their score on the same post, at the end of the month you can read the post and see what's up, along the way the posts takes on a life of it's own with, people razzing each other, and sometimes someone posts a poor score but there grouping was within the size of a dime, something good to whoop & holler about, but yet it is a poor score, the score is only a small part of the contest, the fun & sometimes funny posts make it fun, like I said, I could see some robin hood shots for bragging rights, still might have a poor score though, I'm just trying to take all the emphasis off scoring.  it is a part of it, but trust me, the post is a lot of fun by itself.
Dan

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
Ok thanks. I was hoping to do a bi-weekly contest. The winner of the event get to set the rules and regs. for the next contest. I guess the only work for me would be going through and finding the winning each time and letting them know. Which shouldn't be a big deal because I'm at a computer 5 days out of the week all day. If we get to many people then we might have to go to once a month or I would just pick somebody at random to pick the new rules and regs for the next contest. I'll try and come up with something for the targets. I do think that paper is cheaper than buying paper plates but not everybody has access to a printer. So we'll probably just go with paper plates, and I'll come up with household stuff to trace circles with. I'm open to ALL suggestions. So write them here or PM me. Like I said before I want to get this going this week and start shooting next week.
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©