3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Spitfire Horsebows  (Read 3178 times)

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
Spitfire Horsebows
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm interested in horsebows, particularly Spitfire bows. Does anyone have one or shot one? If so, please tell me which model and what you thought of it.

What poundage / draw weight combination did you shoot? What type of arrow? How was the performance? Did you use a thumbring or traditional fingers? Have you ever hunted with one?

If I were to buy one, I'd like to use it for hunting game from rabbits to mule deer.
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Spitfire Horsebows
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:49:00 PM »
I reviewed a spitfire on my site in the trad review section at  www.peteward.com
 These are a very diferent style of bow to learn to shoot, but they are also a very impressive little bow.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:27:00 AM »
Thanks for the link Pete. I think I've read your review several times now.  ;)
Do you still have / shoot this bow? Have you ever hunted with it?

TTT

No one else has shot these bows?!    :eek:

Offline Skinnybill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
Tamure,
I have two Spitfire bows, and my nephew has one.  My 15yr old son and nephew are shooting a Hunnic bow, and I'm shooting a Sassanian style bow.  My son's bow is approx 35lbs(fastest 35lb bow I've ever seen), mine is approx 43lbs, and my nephew's bow is approx 55lbs.  We shoot light carbon arrows, and we all use a thumbring.

What do I think of these bows?  If I could, I would have 10 bows hanging on my wall.  I absolutely love them.  The performance is amazing.  You can shoot them with a thumbring or fingers.  The thumbring is a superior release for moving game.  It is a very quick release.  You actually get better performance from the bow when using a thumbring.  But believe me, they perform with either release method.  

This will be my first year hunting with the bow.  I can't wait!  

Shoot Chris (owner of Spitfire Horsebows) an e-mail.  He's a great guy.  He's been shooting horsebows for over 50yrs.  If you do contact him, make some room upstairs in the "noodle" for an education because you're going to get one.  He's an educated man, and he's proud of his heritage.  You'll see:)

Bill

Offline tamure

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Bill!

I'll send Chris an email. I read his website which is very informative. Lots of interesting stuff.

Make sure you update me on how the hunt goes!

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
Just checking to see if anyone has actually used these bows for hunting and, if so, have you hunted anything larger then deer sized animals.  Out of compounds I've seen light arrows work on deer but fail pretty bad on larger animals like elk, moose, etc.  Any experience?
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
What do these bows look like?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 07:58:00 PM »
they are real expencive i was going to get one but by the time we did the conversion it was going to cost $999 canada dollars wich was at the time $1,000 newzealand dollars way out of my reach. but hey they are real nice bows.  :thumbsup:  so i got my self a korean horse bow man that thing is fast it cost $250 newzealand dollars. it is 50#s at 28" draw. i would recomend them to any one.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline ROB TAYLOR

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:08:00 PM »
Jeff....is that one of the Hwarang bows that Thomas Duvernay is talking about on his website?
-Rob
>>>--TGMM-Family of the Bow--->

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©