3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Snakeskin, Super Glue and Tru-Oil (Finished w/ pics)). . .  (Read 385 times)

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snakeskin, Super Glue and Tru-Oil (Finished w/ pics)). . .
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Nothing worse than watching paint "not" dry!
David M. Conroy

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »
Here's the deal:

Helmsman Spar Urethane uses mineral spirits as a thinner/solvent. (http://www.sherwin-williams.com/document/PDS/en/027426332553/)  Mineral spirits are hydrocarbons, which are also used in cyanoacrylate (Superglue, or "CA") debonders, such as Loctite 768.  Loctite 768 does the following to cured cyanoacrylate:

"Applying LOCTITE® 768TM to cured cyanoacrylate adhesive will allow its removal in several minutes to several hours, depending on the amount of the adhesive."

If I had done the one coat, wait 72 hours, apply another coat, application it probably wouldn't have had time to break down the glue.  However, I followed the alternative application procedure, which calls for applying subsequent coats within a couple of hours.  This kept the limb wet with mineral spirits longer, which compromised the cure of the CA.  Now the CA is gummy, and has to come off.  

If you follow the super glue step, use a quick drying finish that preferably does not use mineral spirits or acetone as the thinner/solvent.

This should be added to the How-to thread.  

Ben

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks Ben.That's interesting.I've used Helmsman over super glue on several bows.I had trouble with it drying when recoats were done within 2 hrs.I can't remember if that bow had CA on it or not.It may have.It did dry after a week or more and was fine.Since,I recoat in 12-24 hours and that has worked well.I still usually let it cure for 4-7 days before setting it up to shoot or rubbing it out with rubbing compound etc..

Offline Chad Sivertsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
Ben,
Well, thats a bummer. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was. I've never used CA as a coating.

I've tried quite a few different finishes but use Spar U. more than others. It can be wet here for days on end during hunting season and never a problem with bows or arrows.

Hope you can salvage the snake skins.
Happy Trails,
Chad

Offline Ben Tiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
I rubbed the limbs down with a towel soaked in mineral sprits.  This took all of the gumminess away.  It took about 15 minutes per limb.  After that dried, I re-finished with five coats of tru-oil.  Thanks to all of those who suggested it. . . It worked perfectly.  I figure I'll leave it shiny for the summer, then wax and buff it dull this fall.  

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
Good looking skins,Im glad it worked out for you.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline B/W lvr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
I have done 2 bows now with super glue and Helmsman spar urithane. I've had no problems at all. I'd suggest you just let it dry in whatever time it takes and don't worry about it. It seems to me that superglue dries too fast to be causing you any problems. Worse case is that you'll have to take the skins off and try again but your no where near that point yet. By the way never use Barge cement to apply skins, its a great glue but not for that usage. Frank

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
i did a self bow with the super glue method and then taped it off an clearcoated the rest and have been hunting it for over a year and no problems at all i think they might be right and there is a shelf life issue there

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
looks great!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©