3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone hunting with a NON custom bow?  (Read 431 times)

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone hunting with a NON custom bow?
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:39:00 AM »
ALL traditional bows is a work of art and I "drool" over some of the bows that are pictured here on this forum but anyone using/hunting with a bow that is consisdered "mass produced"? some of the most incrediable bows are of the Bear line and many others to go along with it;

I long to some day own a custom made bow and I will but until then I am hunting with a longbow that is not considered custom but does a great job; anyone else doing the same?

:campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone hunting with a NON custom bow?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:00 AM »
I am sure there have been tons of deer killed with production bows over the years. If i pick up a bow and it shoots good and fits me It doesnt matter if its custom or production. The one custom I will order in the near future is from Elmer Patton in Wynne. His bows are very nice and every one I have shot have been absolute shooters
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
I like good shooting bows whether they are custom or production. I have had poor bows in both also. Shoot what you like and your budget will allow, either will get you there.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
I have owned many bows and still do that are considered 'production' bows . They shoot just as good as anything else I have shot and have often ben better made .
A Martin Hunter is one of the best performing bows you can buy IMHO ...

The differences , generally at hunting range regarding bows etc are generally greatly overstated .

Ain't nothing prettier than a Bear Kodiak !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »
My only bow at the moment is a production bow, and I do hunt with it although I'm not terrible successful as I'm only learning. That said I have my first custom bow in the making, a Hill style longbow by David Miller 52#@27, can't wait.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:00 AM »
I by-passed all my customs to hunt with a metal-risered production recurve with "factory camo" this past season. I went with the set-up that I felt I shot best.

Offline jsparky93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:03:00 AM »
I personaliy shoot mainly custom bows but I think its more what you like & what you want & what fits you & your budget.

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »
The first deer I shot and a P&Y trophy if I decided to register it was with a $150.00 off the shelf bow.  Nothing wrong with production equipment.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Have done. Martin Hunter, 60#. One brumby, two donkeys, one buffalo, one goat. It's the bow that got me hooked.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:29:00 AM »
Proline Saxon Hunter, 75#@28" & 68" ntn. My 1st heavy hunting lb 30 years ago. One of my favorites & still hunt it.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Roots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
Will probably be hunting with my samick stingray, this is the bow I am most accurate with right now.

Offline Armand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
I shoot with a Bear Grizzly (Gainesville)), Kodiak Magnum (Grayling), and i added a Kodiak Hunter (Grayling), there is something special to me about hunting with bear recurves, i have the rest of my compounds on another site for sale, shoulder injury sidelined me for 4 years from shooting my recurves and now i am back and if i get what i want for the compounds i will have one of the new Super Kodiaks, i get to impatient waitng for custom made bows (my bad), i really want a Shrew but wow i may be hunting with Fred himself by the time it gets made 12-18 months a lot can happen.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
From time to time I enjoy shooting my Bears and Damon Howatts,they are just a little too light in poundage for what I am used to,but I love to hunt with them.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
I own a half dozen custom bows, and have had many more than that over the years.

But I've really been drawn to the older production bows lately.  Last fall it was a '68 Bear Super Kodiak.  This spring it has been a Damon Howatt Super Diablo.  

I love the craftsmanship and beautiful woods in a nice custom.  But some of the production bows will stack arrows right along with the best of them and look great too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
I love the Damon Howatt line too.
A FANTASTIC production takedown was the Martin Hatfield.
Was never a big Bear archery fan only because I prefer longer bows, but had a 64" 55# '66 Kodiak that was a heck of a shooter for me. And any of them that had the bubinga/zebrawood combo look as good as any custom.

But to hit on the topic, I agree with you a custom bow is a great luxury to have, but not a necessity by any means.
David M. Conroy

Offline Converml

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
I would have gone with the Bear Montana longbow if I didn't travel so much making a one piece more difficult. I passed one up for @ 150 for the take down. I did the math and as cheap as the Montana was I would have paid for it in the long run 1 or 2 trips with airline fees so that is the only reason why I went for the takedown if I didn't travel I'd have a Montana Bear.
Howard Hill Cheetah

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
I hunted with a Bear Montana for years. My brother still hunts with a Martin Hunter, imo it is the best production bow money can buy and outperforms many of the top custom bows.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
58" Red Wing hunters are probably my favorite production bows for hunting.  Light, quick, smooth; what's not to like?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
I have a Dick Palmer Hunter longbow that is a semi-customized Martin ML-10 (limbs reworked to trapezoidal cross-section).  before that a Bear Kodiak Hunter.  For many years most recent a Martin Dream Catcher.  Taking a 1966 Browning Explorer out this fall and I have a new-to-me Ben Pearson Hunter (1965) I hope to bloody after the Browing.

Probably never will own a custom bow.  It ain't the bow - it's the arrows.  ;-)
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline misfire

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
I do enjoy hunting with my Quinn Longhorn T/D. A tough reliale bow for sure.
Mark

"The shortest distance from the earth to your mouth is the best." ~Wendell Berry~

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©