3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please Help Me! What should I Do?  (Read 290 times)

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Please Help Me! What should I Do?
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
I've got a real dilema here and I'm hoping someone has a solution.
Since my last 2 surgeys 5 months ago I cannot pull the bows I use to.One of my bows ,which is by far the nicest of all is just to heavy at 62#'s.Hill style Longbows don't seam to be a problem, but my recurves are.The bow is probably one of the nicest  Norm at Blactail Bows has made and I absolutely love the thing I don't want to sell it or trade it and I won't leave hanging in the rack.I don't want to bother Norm as I know how busy he is and I know it would probably be 16-17 months before I saw it.
This is Danny Rowans old bow and is a true work of art.
What would you do! and no I won't send it to you to relieve the problem!LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please Help Me! What should I Do?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:19:00 PM »
Send it to the bow hospital for a weight reduction.
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline Ragin Bull

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
X2 what Rastman said.

Send it to Joe!
Graywolfwoolens.com

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Life Member of Comptons

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
The Bow Hospital  

Here is the link...give Joe a shout and discuss it with him and he can tell you what your options are!
Good luck!
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
I would give it more time and strength training/physical therapy. If you have not had any PT following your surgery(s) it may be worth your while to talk to your doc about it. If it's effecting your bow pulling it's effecting other things too. Hope it works out for you!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
Or wait a year or three and try it when you are completely healed. Don't be impatient, give yourself time. It isn't like they cut off a limb, you may still return to your former strength, and be itching to shoot this bow again. I hear the shelf life of bows is quite good.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
If it's a 3 piece you could try o find a lighter set of limbs while your recouperating.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Excellent idea!

Killdeer   :thumbsup:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Hey people You've given me options I never thought of.Killdeer you are so right,its not like theres an expiorey date on it.Patience has never been one of my strong pionts.LOL We'll give her some time and if need be we can always consult the Doc(bow hospital)Thank you so much for your time and advise ,REALLY appreciated.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
Send it to the hospital for a rework!!!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline pickaspot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I'll second the advice for patience. I had a shoulder injury about 6 years ago (no surgery) that took me two years of work to get through. Now I am stronger than I was before & my technique is better. In addition to the great advice above, consider getting a Bowfit trainer - a latex tube that can be adjusted easily and is small & handy. I travel with work at times and it fits in my suitcase better than a longbow!
Hang in there
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." H.D. Thoreau

>>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Just wait!  You can always take weight off later but there is no option to put it back on.  I would not rush to get rid or modifiy bows you really like.

I about liquidated all my bows after years of being unable to shoot due to a bad hand injury.  I am sure glad I just gave it time.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by GRINCH:
If it's a 3 piece you could try o find a lighter set of limbs while your recouperating.
that is exactly what I just did.  Went from 57# down to 45#.  Just waiting for them to arrive.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
If it is one of Rowen's old bows it has got to be a beauty. I don't think I have ever seen Norm produce an ugly bow! I would hang it where ever you do your physical therapy at as a goal to work for. nothing like having visuals while trying to attain a goal. Good luck buddy on a speedy recovery! I am in the same boat right now! Luckly I just blew out my achilles but my new centaur showed up right after it happened and it is tough shooting on one leg!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Hate to talk myself out of work, but the patience suggestion is probably more prudent.  Weight reduction is a good option for a permanent solution.  But if it has only been 5 months it sounds like you have a good chance to work back into it.  A weight reduction is not reversible!  ;)    If it turns out that your problem is more permanent, then we can talk.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 12:32:00 AM »
My recovery took me three years after shoulder surgery, after I pushed my rehab too fast.  My biggest regret is having sold some of my nicer right-handed bows instead of waiting for the shoulder to mend.  Take it slow and shoot a lightweight bow for this year.  I was unable to pull anything over 45# so I shot and hunted left-handed for the first two years but now,  four years later, am able to shoot 60#’s comfortably.  

Give it some time………then give some more.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »
Thanks everyone.Its so good to hear advice and options from so many perspectives,things I just hadn't thought of.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
Steve,give yourself some time make the therapies and then some gym,you'll be back stronger than ever solid like an old oak.just don't be lazy get fit eat well!Quality and not quantity is the name of a good form.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
Felix,Hey old buddy glad to hear from you,your so right.It is getting better everyday.I'm trying and wanting to hard,You gotta float before you can swim,I'll get it.Hope everything is ok with you and your wife,How did her operation turn out? Hope all is OK my friend.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
Love to see it!
David M. Conroy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©