3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thermacells and the like  (Read 723 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thermacells and the like
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »
excellent, thanks.  Guess I will be looking for one in a bit.    Are they safe if I use one in a blind (enclosed space )  ?
ChuckC

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 11:21:00 PM »
I really like mine. It works very well, although it might "fumigate" you in a blind. The literature says not to use it in an enclosed space.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
It doesn't get much worse than the Florida swamps in September for Skeets. Thermacell is GREAT for keeping them away. Always have a spare fuel cannister and scent pad. You will know when you run out of fuel-you start hearing the buzz.Haven't been bit in years and I am now deet free for 3 years.
DonD

Offline boostickguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »
When I was in Saskatchewan where their national bird is mosquito it worked beautifully.If you had to walk out of the bush 2 miles they would bleed you to death.The guys at bear camp laughed at me until they saw me enjoying my time on stand with no headnet or gloves and I asked them "are the skeets bad?".

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
Works like a charm.  To answer your question about using it in a blind, if I remember right, they warn against using it indoors or in enclosed areas...better check that one out.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 09:51:00 AM »
How long will they last on one fill-up if used continously?
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
took one into a bar..within minutes I had the whole place to myself...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Offline gwhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Thermacell is the way to go for mosquitos! I haven't used deet for 2 years.

For ticks, chiggers, flies, and gnats, I use the Bugskinz from Cabelas.  

With this combo, I don't worry about biting insects at all.  I haven't had a ants,tick,chigger, fly, or gnat bite in the 4 years I have used the Bugskins(Cabelas version)/Rhinoskins(Basspro version).  

But I haven't tested them on the dredded FIRE ANTS.  They are the Devil!
Jesus died for us!  Following him brings us closer to God.  Think about it!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Aw I can't wait.  I have been messing with early season deer in this marsh for a lot of years and DREAD the skeeters.  There are good years and bad years and when it is bad, as was said above..you can hardly hear the deer for the skeeters and you can watch hordes of them working their way up your body looking for an entry point.

On the plus side though...opening week usually means the Sandhill Cranes are gathering for their migration, with numbers anywhere from maybe ten to fifteen birds, up to the hundreds.  

When they return to the marshes in the evenings, they yell at eash other and are so loud you cannot hear anything else. Family groups already on the ground scream at the approaching groups and the fliers scream back and circle the marsh many times before landing.  It is truly an awesome time.  I put up with the skeeters mainly to see and hear that.
ChuckC

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
I always use mine and keep extra tanks and pads.

They are great.
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 11:14:00 PM »
I've hunted in the swamps of GA and FL....and I was  AMAZED at how well they worked.

I remember one time I had to walk to my stand with a yard of polar fleece wrapped around my head the skeeters were so bad......turned on the thermacell when I got in my stand and 5 minutes later......there were none.  That was my 1st experience.

If you got one that didn't work, then you bought a dud.....or your pads were left in the hot sun for too long.

The best testimony I've ever heard was one of my friends said he'd rather leave his bow in the truck that his thermacell.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
Mine worked grea last fall for Deer and this Spring for Turkeys.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this though. When I first put in a new blue repellant pad it takes a bit longer for it to work well. Seems it has to "burn" until it start turning a little white before it really starts to repel the Minnesota State Bird (Da Skeeter)?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©