3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood, Aluminum or Carbon, Whats your preferance ?  (Read 582 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood, Aluminum or Carbon, Whats your preferance ?
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Wood since 2006, They just seem to work best for me.

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Aluminum. Too easy.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Aluminum 90%, its simple ,easy to build and tune, and it always works.

Wood 10%, its just more fun to make great looking wood arrows to shoot from hill bows.

Carbon 0%, its an answer to a problem I've never had. Too limited in spine and weight ranges.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by wtpops:

Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:
Carbon. More durable than the others. Some like aluminum because they say they're cheaper. Not so. The durability of carbon trumps the lower price of aluminum because carbon outlasts all others, so you save in the long run. My carbons are straighter than my flaws also, so that's a non-factor as well. I think my Bemans are .003" straightness tolerance. Not too bad. What's the tolerance on XX75 aluminums?

I shot aluminum for several years and got tired of them bending and getting dents in them, making them useless.
XX75's are .002 and XX78's are .001 Some carbon brands messure only a certin % of the shaft. Easton uses the hole shaft. O and Beman is an Easton arrow. [/b]
Yes, I know Beman is an Easton arrow. That's fine with me. I don't have a problem with Easton. It's just that I don't like using aluminum arrows any more for myself.

Like I said, not much diff in the straightness either.

If there's one thing aluminum arrows have going for them it's the ease of which they are to work with. Like how easy it is to change inserts without damaging the shaft. I do miss that.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
I like arrows. i started shooting carbon a year or so ago and I am impressed with the performance. But, I like aluminum too (I wish they still made the Autumn Orange ones). And there is nothing like the satisfaction of shooting a well-crafted wood arrow. Heck, I just like arrows.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Heck, I just like arrows.
Well said brother! Dresses 'em up and they all look good!   :D
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
I like alunimum to.                         Mostly because I have been shooting them for so long I have a good understanding of which size works with different bows for me.
Tried carbon and wood and seem to wind up with several sets of arrows that do not work for me.

John

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I've made the commitment to shoot wood from my longbows for both target and hunting... To me there is just something special about a longbow and a wooden arrow..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Bow Bum

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
Aluminum is too easy to work with for me to switch back to carbon. Aluminum is just too easy to manipulate in the tuning/tweaking process.

The durability thing is a non-issue for me. a 2018 really seems to take a pounding. Heck, shafts that arent' perfectly straight still work well for FP's and target practice.

B

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »

Originally posted by wtpops:

Carbon. More durable than the others. Some like aluminum because they say they're cheaper. Not so. The durability of carbon trumps the lower price of aluminum because carbon outlasts all others, so you save in the long run. My carbons are straighter than my flaws also, so that's a non-factor as well. I think my Bemans are .003" straightness tolerance. Not too bad. What's the tolerance on XX75 aluminums?

I shot aluminum for several years and got tired of them bending and getting dents in them, making them useless.
XX75's are .002 and XX78's are .001 Some carbon brands messure only a certin % of the shaft. Easton uses the hole shaft. O and Beman is an Easton arrow. [/b]
Yes, I know Beman is an Easton arrow. That's fine with me. I don't have a problem with Easton. It's just that I don't like using aluminum arrows any more for myself.

Like I said, not much diff in the straightness either.

If there's one thing aluminum arrows have going for them it's the ease of which they are to work with. Like how easy it is to change inserts without damaging the shaft. I do miss that. [/b]
You are 100% correct in  not much differance and so is highplains about not being able to shoot the differance. As for me the way i shoot i could most likly shoot a crooked broom stick and the stratest aluminum shaft and not be able to tell the differance.  :knothead:  

Also i mentioned Beman as an Easton product meaning it being a quality shaft.

In my past posts i had no intent to bash or put down carbon shafts it is a very good materal. I was just trying to explain my mental block and why i shoot aluminum.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
wtpops,

I, too, am particular about shooting arrows that are even only slightly bent. I figure that, at the least, I need my equipment to be right for me to have a chance at shooting to the best of my ability. That way, when I miss the mark, it's all me and not the fault of a bent arrow.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
If I'm gonna shoot a Trad setup it's going to fling WOOD arrow! Tryed the carbon route, didn't look right, couldn't get the weight right!! Tryed the Alum route and they sounded like my Cummin's Diesel engine when I shoot them!! WOOD is the way to go!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline highPlains

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by wtpops: In my past posts i had no intent to bash or put down carbon shafts it is a very good materal. I was just trying to explain my mental block and why i shoot aluminum.
You bet! That's a valid reason to stick with aluminum! Definitely shoot what you have the most confidence in. You don't want to let something be an impediment to your conscious as you draw back on an animal, regardless if the concern is real or not. If it's real to you, it's real.
>>---> TC
Rocky Mountain Specialt

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I shoot carbon and have just started messing around with wood. all 3 materials have their good and bad points. Never could handle the sound of aluminum. Aluminum does shoot good and is easy to tune. There is no perfect arrow.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
I have found carbon to be the most durable. I really like the Beman MFX Classic's. For lighter bows I have been shooting Easton St Epics. I like them, but not nearly as durable.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
Wood  IS  Good!!  :thumbsup:   Cost of Wood Dowels VS Aluminum, Plus I can make them the Way  I  Like them!!  :goldtooth:    :archer2:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Started with wood went to aluminum and now skinny carbons. I like the carbons best...they last a lot longer for me.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Carbons for me the durability outweighs any negative.

Offline GWC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
iv got a set of aluminum arrows iv been shooting lately out of my longbow and they shoot good.but im having some wooden huntn arrows being made right now,just think that if im gonna shoot a traditional bow,then the full experience would be shooting a traditional arrow.iv killed a rabbit with that set-up but cant wait to get my deer with it.
Just Takn A Day At A Time

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 02:47:00 PM »
I started out with a recurve and aluminum waaaay back in the '70's. Killed my first deer with aluminum. (still have the arrow).  Went to wood about 20 to 30 years ago because of the price and the fun/challenge of making your own arrows.  I've used cedar, norway pine, poplar, ramin, douglas fir, sika spruce and probably some other woods.  I never could figure out why some arrows would shoot a field point great but only so-so with a broadhead.  
Rediscovered some 2016's a few years ago and I was amazed at how much more consistent my shooting was!  I was equally shocked that any broadhead that weighed about the same as my field points few great too.
Hunted with wood and aluminum off and on for the past couple of years.  I noticed that I used the aluminum more and more.  I had more confidence in them.  Also re-learned how nice it was to unscrew a broadhead that was buried in a root or tree and not have to worry about setting the woods on fire trying to free my wooden arrow from the broadhead.
Since Stu Millers chart came out, I have tried and fell in love with Goldtip Trad carbons.  In my mind they are tuffer than alum. and fly even better.  I shoot the blems that Big Jim sells so they cost about the same as Easton Blues and good wooden shafts.  
I gave my buddy all my "wooden-arrow-making-tools" the other week.  I ain't gonna be needing them no more.  Thanks for letting me ramble on and on.....God bless 'ya.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©