3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 piece longbows........3 of a kind  (Read 479 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
2 piece longbows........3 of a kind
« on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
It's safe to say I love longbows but for some reason I really have it with 2 piece longbows.

You'd think the choice is easy but for me there are three good choices that serve me well.

First up, for me this one is the absolute simplest:
The sleeve takedown.
This is a Howard Hill Cheetah, I like this setup because it is a simple design and it does work. The two pieces fit together very snug, there is absolutely not movement at all when it's put together. The only negative for me is the grip is on the wide side. If you like a thin grip you may find this one a bit bulky. To be fair though I believe Craig at Howard Hill Archery uses two different sizes.

Next on the list is a Big Jim Buffalo longbow. It uses a lockit sockit system just like Black Widow uses. Again this is a simple one to put together. I did find this bow when put together did have a little wiggle, but when the bow is strung up to correct brace height there is absolutely no movement, and especially shooting the bow there isn't a hint of noise coming from the riser connection. This bow has more mass weight than the Hill but it's a very nice shooting bow, quiet and my shooting is very consistent with this bow. And the Cocobolo veneer is outstanding.

Last but not least is my top choice, Toelke D Bow with a bow bolt. At first glance the bolt setup looks more complicated than the other two but once you put the bow together a couple of times, it really is just a slight step behind but it feels to me to be the most secure of the three. The bow of course is a Dan Toelke and that should say enough, absolutely gorgeous, very sooth draw, perfect. The juniper veneer is amazing, the tips are small and elegant. If I had have the skill of Dan this is the bow I would make for myself.

For reference, all three bows I bought second hand, the first two from fellow tradgang members and the Toelke is a used bow someone had traded back to Dan. Yes the Toelke is my favorite but I will not hesitate in any way to use either longbow in my pursuit of a Whitetail.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 piece longbows........3 of a kind
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
Love that leather grip on the Toelke I have never seen one like it.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
Nice bows. My 2pc Big Jim Buffalo is very snug fitting. I really like it. I haven't had a Bolt type yet, but it looks like a good system. Love my 2pc LB's!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Beautiful bows!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
i've had all three types you show, they all work well and will get the job done but i still prefer the connexion hinge ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 08:09:00 PM »
Rob

That is probably my next search, after I get out from a nasty car bill.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
One thing that I have heard is that if you are going to use a bow bolt, it is recommended that you use some micarta or phenolic in the riser for strength. So if those two materials don't do it for you, you may want to choose some other hook up. Personally I like the looks of it. Might also be the reason you see it on ILF riser that Morrison makes, almost all of the wood ILF risers I have seen by Bob have a significant amount of phenolic, and you all know how gorgeous they look. Besides of course how well they work.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 08:35:00 PM »
Nice bows.  I really like the wood and horn overlays on the Buffalo Bow.

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Very beautiful bows. And I love phenolic in a riser.

I would like to make a suggestion, you may want to change your signature from "Life's too short to shoot anything but a Zipper" to "Life's too short to shoot anything but a longbow".
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
3 great bows thanks for posting

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »
Nice pictoral on the different TD systems out there.
Thank you.

Nice bows by the way. All fine examples.
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
I need more pictures of that Toelke. SWEET. I need to shoot one for sure well maybe not. I really want a takedown and really like that Dan uses the bow bolt.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 11:41:00 PM »
I NEED A TOELKE!  Anybody want to part with one!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
Dan would be happy to sell you one awbowman. Great guy to chat with too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
Nice bows!

You might add some some more wax to the male and female parts of the BG TD.I wax mine fairly liberally.No slop or wiggle at all.

That brass steel sleeve is a good one as well.I use the smaller version of the sleeve TD for a smaller grip.I like to wax it up as well.

Those 2 systems,the bow bolt,jacknife by Great Northern and the one used by Thunderhorn are are my favorite 2 piece designs.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
i prefer a slight locator handle shape.

the hill sleeve won't allow handle/grip shaping so it's pretty straight or nothing.  though you *could* build up the palm side with leather or wood veneer and shape accordingly.  

i think the sockit allows handle shaping, to some small degree.  

the bow bolt and connexion definitely allow locator and dished handle grips.

sleeves have relatively minute tolerances of fit, else they wobble.  this means the parts must be very clean for that fit to work both for mating and unmating the sections.  i've had problems with hill sleeves getting both inserted and unstuck.

the bow bolt is a very positive system, but it also has nooks 'n' crannies that must be kept clean for the thing to work correctly.

the connexion hinge is the easiest and most positive lock up to use and can be joined and unjoined in the messiest of venues and hunt conditions.  however, when the bow is unbraced, the limbs will want to unhinge itself.  some folks eschew the bisected leather grip for a rubber roll-down that keeps the bow together when unstrung.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
Rob the only thing I don't like about the Hinge has nothing to do with application but appearance. I'm not a fan of how the look on the bow. Compared to the bowbolt and lockit socket which maintain the lines of the bow and are discreet, the hinge stands out a bit. But that really is my only issue with it. Other than that it's as good of a system as anything else.

The Sleeve system is really of benefit to anyone who prefers a straight grip, found often on Hill bows.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks for the nice review of the various systems. The only ones I have played with are the straight Hill style insert and the BowBolt. I have half a dozen or more bows with BowBolts and love the system. A fellow does need to protect and care for the bolt threads or there will be problems, but I am always very careful. Besides the fact that the BowBolt works very well, I like it for the reason that the grip can be shaped as desired and the bolt can be placed in somewhat varying positions in the riser depending on what look the bowyer is trying to achieve. It is probably not the absolute strongest connection, but if the riser is properly built and the Bow Bolt is properly installed, it will stand up to the highest poundage that I am capable of drawing. I think the locket socket connection is the next best looking and probably is somewhat stronger for those guys like Big Jim who can draw and shoot 80# bows and higher.

Thanks for all the input from everyone. It is very helpful and informative.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
I build the lockit socket style and am more comfortable with it than any other. Its very similar in shape to the one of Jims. I believe this system is inherently the strongest and you could not get more simple. The neat thing is that when you have the bow together it looks , shoots and feels just like a onepiece.
God bless you all, Steve

Offline San Juan Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Here's a couple of pictures of a Keith Chastain Wapiti Spike.  I guess you would call it "Lockit Socket".  I bought it from a fellow trad ganger a few years back.  Take downs are certainly nice to travel with.

It is osage limbs with some purple heart in the handle.  It also has has black carbon veneer on the back and belly.  It draws about 82# at my draw length (31.5").  My all time favorite bow is a one piece Spike that I have been shooting for about 20 years now and this shoots every bit as well as the one piece.

Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©