3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A day spent with Hope  (Read 364 times)

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
A day spent with Hope
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Finally got to hunt Hope a bit before she heads to Tom Phillips and Bear Quest.. I've had a lower back that has put my hips out of commission and haven’t been able to walk for a week; with a ton of Ibuprofen I decided to take a walk and see if Hope and I could find some trouble. I've hunted this ranch in Indian Valley for a few years now and have a fair Idea where the hogs will be if they are on the ranch. I've only managed to time it right once as they use this 3700 acres as a highway and are not permanent residences here...

Beautiful morning at Indian Valley Ranch...

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A day spent with Hope
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
I spent a few days shooting Hope and I have to say this is a very sweet bow... very smooth on the draw and the 3555 I use with my Big Jim Buff were made to order for Hope..

In the far north east corner of the property there is a cattle tank at the bottom of a long draw. It snakes thru the property and the East Ridge affords perfect wind to walk the edge and peek into every nook, cranny and hiding place that it has.

Hope watchin the wind for me   :)  

The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
:campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
I started walking when there was barely enough light to see and slowly made my way up the draw. Along the way I found quite a bit of sign but the air was dead quiet and I did not see or hear any hogs but the evidence said they were using the area recently…

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
At the end of the draw and the property line I stopped for a drink and a bite to eat. Hope and I had covered a mile or so and I was trying to figure out the next plan.

Hope needed a rest...

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
After a bit I decided or rather the wind decided that the only course we could take was to slowly go back the way we had just come. This goes against my normal inclinations as I would normally look at this path as used up, but after some thought I decided there was not a choice.

Slowly I went back down the ridge staying just off the top so as not to skyline... we walked… Sounds? A smallish red body?  Three black body’s? Maybe a dozen hogs appeared at the bottom of the draw. They were moving at a pretty fair clip and my position made it impossible to approach them strait on. There was a small crease in the ridge to my right and I figured that if I could reach that and pop over the top away from the hogs I could move ahead of them and wait for them to come by?

Come on legs, Ibuprofen don’t fail me now…. I got ahead of them and came back over the top. I had run, that’s right a fat 60 year old ran and the pumper was field testing the buttons on my jacket. The hogs had either stopped to rest or I am faster than I think as they were now about 50 or 60 yards down the draw and heading my way…. I wasn’t that happy with my location behind a big oak with a steep downhill angle to the bottom, it covered my position well but it was pushing my range threshold a bit. It was the only available cover so it would have to do.

I waited for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only a minute or two…. All in all there were a dozen hogs in the group. They were all on the smallish side but for me they would make dandy eaters… They walked by me but stayed on the opposite bank out of range and I thought I was not going to get a shot, and then a sow decided she liked something in my direction and started to walk my way… closer… come on old girl turn, turn… that’s right a few more steps…. Come to full draw that’s the spot….. I shot and with grunt as my arrow bounced off the top of her back and my hunt ended… I sat there for the longest time trying to figure out what I had done. The truth is I just missed, somehow I misjudged the distance and shot high and that sow got her first shave...

I truly wish my work schedule and health would have allowed me a little more time to with Hope, someone is going to get a sweet shooting bow and help the kids at the same time….

Thank you for letting me spend a bit of time with her …

Now she's on her way to Tom Phillips and Bear Quest...

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the ride Kip.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Just wish I would have connected Barry   :dunno:

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Sounds like a great day to be out and about. Hope your recovery continues and the next time.....well, we'll probably be having bacon for breakfast!   :D
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
So do I Kip,so do I. System must have been revved up from all that running, and just released on the wrong heart beat...sounds good to me.  :)
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
I like your style Barry ...

She was down hill and on the smallish side ... I think this old batch of brain matter just didn't judge it right... shot was perfect in line just went high?

Oh well another day  :)

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Kip,
   Thanks for taking us along, looks like beautiful country and a fine day.

Take care of that back.

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Hey my friend what a day to be alive !LOL This age thing with all its aches and pains sure isn't helping us with this young mans Hobby we so enjoy! Kipp I was with ya every minute of the way ,I had your back when those hogs showed up,but just when you needed me most my disentry kicked in and left you solo! Geez we had a good time though,All the best my friend LOL
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
Hey there Kip, thats the way she goes some times! What beautiful scenery you have out there. Not the California i have in my mind. Not a single sky scraper or traffic jam in sight.

Thanks for taking us along on your hunt.
Make a life, not a living

Offline Dozuki

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
They say that anticipation makes most meals taste better.  So just think how good that bacon will taste.  Thanks for letting us come along.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Sounds like a great day.

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 03:38:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun day. Nice looking place.
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:19:00 AM »
Kip, Thanks for the trip. Seems to have been a good hunt. Great scenery.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Great story Kip.  Sorry you misjudged the distance.  Hopefully, your back and legs will get better and you will find them again (the hogs, that is...).
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
Great story. ... The scenery reminds me of my walks in the woods as a boy south of  Orcutt towards the village.  Never seen hogs but a load of deer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©