3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: another new guy questions  (Read 399 times)

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
another new guy questions
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
Hi all! I bought a Recurve in very rough shape a few years ago. After shooting rubber vaned light carbon arrows on a rubber rest above the shelf, I got frustrated and almost threw the bow away.  A few days ago I came across this site and got some ideas. I started sanding the badly painted bow and uncovered a beaut! I have tried to identify this bow and I believe it is a 62 inch howatt hunter at about 55 pounds for my length.  My question is, I bought some sticky back felt that I shaped perfectly for the rest. Before I put it on, is this good to use? What do howatts usually have? For arrows should I buy some 2016's and start there? None of the bow shops near me know much about trad archery.  Sorry for the very long first post, I'm doing this over my lunch break on my phone, and want some questions answered so hopefully I can shoot it this weekend. I will also have questions on the string and finding the right knocking point. Thanks!

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: another new guy questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
I use the fuzzy side velcro on the shelfs on my bows.I think 2016s or 2117s would be ok.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I would expect that a 2018 arrow would be the proper spine.

It also depends on arrow point weight and arrow length, etc.

Welcome to TG and good luck.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
Yep....Another  WELCOME TO TRADGANG   :wavey:  Dontcha' Worry about Post Length!! We are ALL Friends here, and are More than Happy to Answer your Questions!!  :thumbsup:  
  Sounds like You found a Beauty!! Congrats on the Bow, and These Fellas have Pointed You in the Right Direction!!  :archer:    :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
My Hunter really likes 2113 with 125gr Snuffers up front when shooting aluminum.  Switched to 5575 Cabelas carbons with the same broadheads/field points and the really sucker spits them out.  The shelf has leather on the side and bottom with a small strip to create a bump.

Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I'd get the 2018's as suggested. Should allow more control over tuning.

The fuzzy side of Velcro makes a great rest. The felt will work however it won't provide as much cushion as the Velcro.

If you choose to use the felt then you should put something to create a little hump for the arrow to sit on so it's not riding along the entire shelf.

Welcome aboard.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
Hi there.

You say that the bow is 55# @ your draw.
How long is your draw? It will make a difference in shaft size.

Hap

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
As far as the 'little bump', a good cheap one is a matchstick under the rest.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Wow thanks for all the replies. So my next step would be putting in the shelf, putting on a 58 inch string, getting a 7 3/4 brace height, then knock it?  I believe I'm shooting at a 28 inch draw. My draw got shorter for some reason, I was shooting 30 with my compound, then noticed this year my anchor points were way off. I have gained a little size in the gym. How should I spot the "bump" from the side of the shelf?

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Ok reading the best we could it was about 58 pounds at 29 1/2 inches. Which is my official draw length.  So do I want 31 inch arrows? Guy at scheels thought I should shoot 2317s at 31 1/2 inches.  I held off because I have heard differently.

Offline jarhead_hunter

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
I think 2317's would be overkill as the spine would be for a heavier bow,

I still think 2018's, or maybe 2020's, uncut if you like, would be the place to start.

Charles.
Semper Fidelis
1st Mar Div RVN 1968-1970
1st MAW RVN 1966-1967

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
How about some pix of the bow? If there are i.d. marks try not to remove them. Decide if you;ll shoot 3-under or split to start your tuning w/2018 or 2020 IMO. Also, if you shot w/release & drew 30", you'll likely not shoot much less draw than that w/fingers. If so, you;re probably short drawing from too much weight OR you;re just too cautious about drawing full. BTW, where & with which finger are you anchoring? If in good shape, 55# should not be too much to work in to soon enough (2-weeks). Welcome to TG.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
Welcome to the addiction!

I hope you have as much fun on your journey as I have had and still am having.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Vlcro - One man's greatest inventions!!!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Welcome.....you are going to have questions on top of questions. Check your local library for both archery and bowhunting books. Just reading through one or two can answer a hundered questions you dont have yet. Its not a bad idea to get one of the better ones and keep it as a reference. These three have some really good info:

"Shooting the stickbow" by A Camera

"Traditional Archery" by Sam Fedala

"Beginners guide to traditional archery" by Brian Sorrells

3Rivers has them and you can find them other places too.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline JimL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Welcome to the site-fine folks here and know their stuff too.  Velcro works good for me too.  I shoot carbon so can't help with the alum.
...by Him to reconcile all things unto Himself; whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.   Col  1:20

Online freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Do make sure there are feathers on the back of whatever you end up shooting...those vanes won't work for you off the shelf.

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Lol yeah I figured out the fletching. Picked up some 2018 this morning, 125 grain tips. Shot great at 10, then later on shot group of 6 inches or so at 20. Only once though. After about 200 shots I am down an arrow lol. Won't be trying 30 again for awhile. My arrows are at 31 inches. Flying decent, but I think my homemade rest might be hindering my flight.  Thanks for all the tips, I am very satisfied with my great start and sore fingers! I'm hoping I can find a traditional archer to go out and shoot with, and maybe show me a few things

Offline Aaron2k5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 01:48:00 AM »
Lol yeah I figured out the fletching. Picked up some 2018 this morning, 125 grain tips. Shot great at 10, then later on shot group of 6 inches or so at 20. Only once though. After about 200 shots I am down an arrow lol. Won't be trying 30 again for awhile. My arrows are at 31 inches. Flying decent, but I think my homemade rest might be hindering my flight.  Thanks for all the tips, I am very satisfied with my great start and sore fingers! I'm hoping I can find a traditional archer to go out and shoot with, and maybe show me a few things

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 05:05:00 AM »
What do you think is wrong with the rest? How is it affecting your arrows' flight?

Congrats on your bow find, that is a good bow!
 There is a certain happiness in sore fingers, similar to catching a whiff of woodsmoke when you pull your hunting clothes out of storage.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©