3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any info on Martin Savannah??  (Read 383 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Any info on Martin Savannah??
« on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:00 PM »
Got a chance to get one.  Seems like it may be one of those good deals.  Just curious as to what you all know about them- pros and cons.  value, etc.

Thanks guys

Dan- still at home in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any info on Martin Savannah??
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Good production bow that performs very well. I shot my first trad deer with one. They are smooth and quick, tune easy. If the price is right then I would get it. For resale they hold their used value.
Terry
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline buckracks7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Good Bows.
If it's in your way, move it.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I think they are a great bow,I bought one new when they first came out.I still have and shoot it today.Shoots fast and smooth in my opinion.I'm a fan of Martin/Howatt bows and I have a few Martin/Howatt bows.Great value and seems to hold a good resale value.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Lots of discussions on them-if you haven't already, try a search for them.  Lots of opinions also, I think most good.  I like mine and shoot it better than anything else I have shot.  They do seem to hold their value, after the "drive it off the lot" drop.  When they come up for sale used, they don't seem to last long, and IMHO they don't seem to come up for sale that often.  Smooth, and my 55 @ 28 (I measured it with a scale and it is accurate) seems less.  If you don't like it, you wouldn't have a problem selling it.

RonP

Offline TexasStick81

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I had one and really thought highly of it.  Looked nice for a production bow as well.
Centaur Triple Carbon 60" 55@29

"Only that day dawns to which we are awake"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
When I did a part-time gig at Cabelas it was our #1 selling LB. I picked one up and shot it every chance I got. Very nice shooting bow.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Never mind.  Got it figured out  :)
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Had one... Had to sell. Still missing it.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  Good to go.

Online bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
It was my first longbow and I still have I and shoot it. Very smooth and accurate. Good bows.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
I use to sell them and they were a hot bow. I had a 60 pounder that shot with the best of them. Larry also made me 2 specials. One had english yew in the limbs and the other was all bamboo. They were good looking bows but the standard limbs shot better. There was a lot of research went in to the limb of the Savannah before Larry settled on the zebra/bubinga combination. It works and for good reason.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
Awesome bow and pretty darn fast!!
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline USAFdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
I have a 55#@28 and love the thing, but it's too much for my old shoulders and am going to have to let it go. I think they are very smooth and quick. 500 grain cedar shaft doing 188 fps seemed quick to me anyway. It's a dang nice looking bow as well.

Offline freeman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
wish I never sold mine...

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »
Back when I bought my Barta Bow the Savannah was the other one I was considering.  I had to buy USED and price was a MAJOR consideration.  I read all kinds of comments and reviews about the Savannah and it was difficult to find a truly negative report on them.  They are said to have really good speed and performance.  From what I recall that is the BIG qualities that users comment on.

I would've bought one if the right deal had come along, but it just happened that I found a better deal on the BARTA longbow or I would own a Savannah right now.  One other thing, the Savannah is not really a "D" shaped longbow and the Barta I have is, pretty much and I like that look.

I've got lotsa pics of the Savannah if you want to see them let me know and I'll post them or email them to you.

Good luck.

Nalajr

Offline Clint B.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 12:28:00 AM »
About 5 years ago, I shot this young buck at about 35 yards from my treestand with a Martin Savannah. It was my longest traditional bow shot. The Savannah is a very smooth shooting longbow for being only 62" amo. I draw almost 28 1/2".

Offline Yeoman Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I have 2 Savannahs & I love em. For me, they draw smoothly & with the right arrows seem pretty quick. The quality of construction and the finish are quite good.

(I have noticed, though, that the 45#er seems heavy on the draw & pulls like my 50# Bear Montana. The 40#er is much lighter. Seems much more than a 5# difference.)

In any case, the Savannah is a great production bow. But then again, I'm probably biased.    :D  

Yeoman
Yeoman
_ _ _ __ _  _  _  

35# Martin Hunter
40# Martin Savannah
40# Martin Dreamcatcher
50# Bear Montana
_ _ _ _________ _  _  _

"When it’s time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Thanks again all.  Great site as usual.

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Gotta 50#er and it smokes an arrow.I really like it and it looks good.I dont think I'll ever part with it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©