3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Frist year without a deer tag!  (Read 379 times)

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Frist year without a deer tag!
« on: May 28, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I was one of the unlucky ones this year and I did not draw a deer tag. Thank goodness that our archery elk tags are still OTC or I might have gone into a depressive state. My dad drew a LE elk tag so that will keep me pretty busy finding a big bull for a young 78 year old man. I just took an offer on a new job(a good thing) so hunting out of state might be tough with no vacation time yet. I guess I have been spoiled to have never went a year without a tag. There's always the antlerless draw to look forward to.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Frist year without a deer tag!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
I am right there with you! First time in 24 years! Hope to draw antlerless as well. Thank goodness for the otc elk. Good news is, we will be covered up in big muleys this year   :rolleyes:   I am actually pretty bummed about it right now   :(
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Ouch

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:00 AM »
Hay guys sorry to hear about you not getting your tags this year. With them cutting 7000 tags this year I did not think I would get one. But maybe you can luck out next year. Sorry again.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:07:00 AM »
At least you know you'll have the biggest deer of your life guarenteed to come within 15 yards broadside this year while you are elk hunting. Probably come up and sit in your lap.
David M. Conroy

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Ouch!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Utah!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
You too Ryan,that's pretty bad! Tim thats probably why my hunting partner moved to montana this year but even the no-res. tags have sold out up there. Sad thing is I have already seen some nice bucks this spring,one buck antlers are already way past his ears! There are no cow moose tags ether other than CWMU and most of those don't let you archery hunt. I guess it will give me more time to focus elk for my dad and myself. I do have 3 bounus points for cow elk so I should have two elk tags in my pocket this year.
I do hope that all the management changes will lead to better deer herds for us. I do wish good luck to the one's that were lucky enough to draw out this year.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by YORNOC:
At least you know you'll have the biggest deer of your life guarenteed to come within 15 yards broadside this year while you are elk hunting. Probably come up and sit in your lap.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
Twitctstick, lack of opportunity, is why I haven't hunted here for over ten years.  Even if you get a tag, short seasons, and restrictive areas, just not a place for good opportunity.  High prices, even higher prices are well worth the cost.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
Twitctstick, lack of opportunity, is why I haven't hunted here for over ten years.  Even if you get a tag, short seasons, and restrictive areas, just not a place for good opportunity.  High prices, even higher prices are well worth the cost.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
I hear ya Jimmy! I should have 2 elk tags as well. It's funny that the dwr doesn't understand that 1 archery killed buck is worth 3 to 4 times that of a rifle killed buck.   :banghead:    "[dntthnk]"  
Bummer about the antlerless cow moose, don't know what they are thinking there, I saw over a dozen in 4 days of hunting lastyear, in 1 canyon. It's frustrating for sure.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Just curious, what reason for the cutting back the tags this year, huge winter kill?

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Mismanagment for the last 20 years or so is the main reason for cutting tags, IMO. No huge winter kill that I know of.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Ryan, the mismanagement goes back further than 20 years.  For the rest that are interested in knowing.   During the last 20 years though the "average Joe" hunter has had their hunting opportunities stripped away by numerous Conservation Groups.  These groups, one in particular Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, (SFW) has convinced the DWR, that more money can be had by limit entry tags versus average hunter tags, and through the course of this they have even gotten the DWR to allow them to sell tags at a big expo type deal.  All this has translated into less tags for the average hunter, while the number of limited entry tags hasn't been touched.
Now, the season following next Utah is going to to chop up 5 units into 20-something micro managed units.  This will again lead to less opportunity, down the road.  Utah has Elk herds that are one bull to cow, there are a few that are higher, yet this opportunity for for the few lucky that draw once in their life, or the rich that are further padding the pockets of Don Peay, and his SFW group.
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rdoggsilva

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by tim roberts:
Ryan, the mismanagement goes back further than 20 years.  For the rest that are interested in knowing.   During the last 20 years though the "average Joe" hunter has had their hunting opportunities stripped away by numerous Conservation Groups.  These groups, one in particular Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, (SFW) has convinced the DWR, that more money can be had by limit entry tags versus average hunter tags, and through the course of this they have even gotten the DWR to allow them to sell tags at a big expo type deal.  All this has translated into less tags for the average hunter, while the number of limited entry tags hasn't been touched.
Now, the season following next Utah is going to to chop up 5 units into 20-something micro managed units.  This will again lead to less opportunity, down the road.  Utah has Elk herds that are one bull to cow, there are a few that are higher, yet this opportunity for for the few lucky that draw once in their life, or the rich that are further padding the pockets of Don Peay, and his SFW group.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »
Tim I hear you on hunting outside utah.. I have been trying to made it on a outstate hunt but thats probably a year out for me if not two. It's just hard for me to ever get more than two days off together. The big expo/banquet tags also attracted the high dollar guides and their tactics. Some will dump 50 to 100 grand on a elk. They pay a bunch of kids around here 5 to 6 grand a week to watch animals and bush off other hunters. Some guides(not all)are known for blocking off roads,giving you verbal theats. Some I even question their fair chace ethics but thats a whole other topic.
It's happening in more and more western states each year with big raffles and "super tags" it's big business. It just sucks that I have to play thier tag games but I'm a sucker for hunting. I want whats best for the herds/quality hunting but big money hunting will not be the answer IMO.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
I didn't even want to bring up SFW   :banghead:    "[dntthnk]"    :confused:  
But your right about that. It's a real shame. But with no work, out of state is a big problem, so I will try to enjoy what little bit I do get to do this year.

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Twitch,
The things that I mentioned, barely scratch the surface of the problems in Utah.  SFW, ought to be mentioned more, maybe if folks knew the "rest of the story" , they wouldn't be so quick to throw money at a broke system.
Just my nickels worth!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bsoper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »
Yeah. What steadman said. They need to cut the rifle tags. In fact they need to stop the rifle hunt for a couple years.
~Brock

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©