3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 308 times)

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
What am I doing wrong?
« on: May 28, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I just started shooting my longbow today and the string keeps slapping just above my wrist. What can I do to reduce this? I am new to tradit   http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h376/llamma2/018.jpg[/IMG]]web     ional shooting and any help would be much appreciated.    :pray:
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
What kind of longbow? Can you please post the specs on it  ;)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
wear an arm guard, and if that doesn't work for you (still don't like the slap), try turing your hand out a little to move your wrist away from the string a little till you find out the sweet spot for you.  Try tinkering with your brace height also.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Your brace height may be too low. Check the manufacture recommendation, start at the highest brace height and reduce until you have good arrow flight and accuracy. Either that or your bow arm is too straight or locked at the elbow. You Should have a slight bend at the elbow yet have a straight line of force/support from your shoulder to the grip.

Best of luck!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
If you are right handed, roll the bow as far to the right as possible then bring it back to shooting position.  Nock an arrow and shoot as normal.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
Good stuff so far. I will also add to turn your elbow out some so it is more to the side and not down.  Just a bend in the elbow will not help if it is a bend down and not out.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
It's a hickery wood longbow 68 in.45@28
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Raise the brace height.
John

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Make sure your bow arm has a slight bend to it.  If you are straight or straining to pull the bow your arm will bow towards the path of the string.  If you keep a slight bow it keeps your arm from fully extending and keeps the string from hitting your arm.

Offline Osage61

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
my 2 cents: i got a lot of string slap recently when i went to a carbon arrow for testing. turned out the arrows were stiff in spine and light in weight, only 8.4 gr per inch. they made a lot of noise hitting the riser and most shots caused string slap. rarely ever experience slap with my regular arrows. that's all i got.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Pro Pelle Cutem"-HBC

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Lots of good advice. I would not take another shot without an armguard,you risk developing a flinch in anticipation of the whack on your wrist

Offline huntnfool62

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I would say brace height and grip . if you hold your hand out with your thumb pointing at 1 O'   clock (right handed ) you create a V. the grip of the bow should run straight down the V resting on the fatty portion of you palm below the thumb . this position will turn your elbow out . also watch your footwork, open your stance a little and this will bring your shoulder out . these things combined will move your arm further out of the path of the string . This may not eliminate all string slap but it will greatly reduce it .Then use an armgaurd

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
You might try to open your stance a little and it should pull your arm away from the string a little.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Llamma1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
I switched to wood arrows and bent my arm more.No slap thank you.To long shooting a compound.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Great comments from everyone.  You don't want to develop a flinch from thinking your forearm is going to get whacked.  I agree with okla bearclaw about opening up your stance a little.  Also, as mentioned try raising your brace height, and making sure you're not shooting with a straight elbow.  Good luck!  

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
Everyone missed the fast fix - if you're right handed take a half a step forward with your right foot.  Just picture that it opens up your stance and takes the string away from your arm.  If that doesn't work it's brace height.

I don't like bent arms.  Hard to bend them the same every time.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
Hold your bow arm out in front of you, bend your elbow so that the forearm comes horizontally across your chest, then extend again. That is the shoulder position you want. If, when you bend the elbow, your hand comes back and hits you on top of the head, this is the wrong shoulder position and you will get whacked. Also- wear an arm guard.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Make sure you can handle 45 pounds and keep good form. 45 is alot to start with.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©