3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: TallTines Week at Manitoba Stickflingers--Fantastic!  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: TallTines Week at Manitoba Stickflingers--Fantastic!
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Great stuff  :thumbsup:  Keep the pictures coming !!!  :pray:  

Bill

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Keep it coming guys, really enjoying your posts!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
Sorry for the delay guys.  Just got home from the family outing.  Have to cut the grass and get the kids to bed.  Will have the rest of the pictures up by 9 eastern.  Promise.

2 weeks up there; I could not imagine what a guy could bring home if he booked two weeks up there   :eek:

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  Very cool guys!!!
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:     :campfire:    :archer:  

I'll check back.  Sounds like a great experience had by all. This Manitoba stickflingers operation ids starting to sound like a broken record that I dont mind hearing.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Can't wait for the rest of the story and pictures good stuff.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Before I get to what everybody is waiting for, I need to relay one more thing to illustrate the character of Mr. Derlago.  When I booked this week, he knew he was going to have one "typical" bear hunter in camp.  As Mark said earlier, this was his first bear hunt and he was coming home with the first nice bear that gave him a shot.  He did that in spades!  The rest of us knew we were likely only going to have an opportunity like this one time in our life...we were going big or coming home empty.  Gary had the toughest request of all.  He has done a ton of bear hunting in his time.  His best bear is a 20" net Cinnamon boar he took unguided in Colorado.  He wanted a blonde bear to round out his pile of rugs.  Ryan was able to put us in situations where we all had very close encounters with exactly what we were looking for.

You have already seen the bear Mike was after (like a flippin' pit bull I will add for emphasis!).  Gary can tell his own story, but "Tiffany" was coming in on a rope.  And my big bear, he looked like a black Polar bear; he came bullying his way to 30 yards or so of the bait, then proceeded to make a semi circle around the bait in the thick brush with the most awesome display of intimidation of both sight and sound I have ever seen, until he got downwind of me and melted away.

Not once did Ryan ask us to lower our standards.  Every one of us could have shot multiple bears.  I drew down on at least half a dozen, just to see what I could get away with.  A high kill percentage would look good for a new outfitter.  That does not matter to Ryan.  He cares that his clients are going after what THEY want.  He cares about his area amd the animals in it.  He is the steward of that big chunk of bush.  With his plan, Stickflingers and the bear hunting is only going to get better     :thumbsup:    

And, when every bait is showing sign that there are bears like this hitting it, it is a   little easier to hold out for him...

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Great Stuff!...

I also notice the St Jude TradGang T shirt!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
So that leaves the boys Wessel.

Mark "Chief" Wessel on his first day of retirement from the fire department took a beautiful bear with his TallTines longbow.  He told us when he saw it, he said, "  THAT is going to make a nice rug"    :goldtooth:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Great stuff boys!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2011, 09:25:00 PM »
Another of Mark's first bear.  I don't think we saw one rubbed bear all week.  All the coats were luxurious save one ugly sow with chocolate patches all over her   :p  

Here is the whole proud crew!

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:00 PM »
way to go , looking forward to more good stories yet in the making there
Make a life, not a living

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Great stuff guys! I'm enjoying this thread   :thumbsup:

Hey, Chris Kinslow this is a big bear! Look a the barrel and look at the size of this bear. N-I-C-E!   :campfire:    

Originally posted by Steve O:

TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
And that leaves the best for last. Hopefully he will get in here and give a few of the details.

MR. TallTines  

I have been around some pretty good dead animals.  I have to say, none of them were as impressive as this big, old boar.  Brian put a   PERFECT shot on him (as usual).  Everything about this kill was textbook and I am proud I was able to be a small part of it.  Awesome!

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Great bears guys! Congrats!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Hunter 709

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Well Mr. Talltines, one thing is for sure. He ain't small. WOW.
Earl

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me" Genesis 27:3

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
Great Bears!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »
Awesome bears guys!!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
WOW. I don't know what else to say.

Offline talltines

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 11:18:00 PM »
Well, Monday and Tuesday were action packed with lots of bears visiting the baits.  I really enjoyed listening to "bear talk" as they postured and chased each other at the bait site and the surrounding bush.  

Wednesday evening Ryan was taking me to a stand that had not yet been hunted.  Once we arrived we found out the wind was really bad for that stand.  We backed out of there and went to another bait known as "ladders".  The evening went by and around 8 pm a young boar came in and fed for a while.  Every once in a while he would whip his head up and look to the east.  Finally, around 9 pm he whipped his head up, spun around and took off to the southwest.  

I decided to go ahead and stand up as primetime was upon me.  At 9:15 I heard some sticks break to the east.  I turned to look that direction and saw a bear approaching at about 50 yards.  I immediately knew that he was a big bear.  Like Ryan had told me, when you see a big bear, you'll know it.  There was no question about this guy.  As he neared, I could see the long deep crease in his forehead and his bowlegged pigeontoed stance told me he was mature.  

He walked at a steady but slow pace, stopping once to stand and scratch his back on tree.  At 8 yards he stopped, quartering too and looked my direction.  I was ready, arrow knocked.  At 4 yards he was broadside on the pod trail, but his vitals were covered by brush.  Again, he turned his head to look at me.  Finally feeling satisfied that all was well, he turned and headed toward the bait.  It was at this time that I was able to shift my feet where I needed them to make the shot.  The barrell was around 13-14 yards.  He stopped, quartering away.  

I picked a spot, came to full draw and watched as the chartuese feathered shaft dissappeared through his ribs.  He let out a deep roar at the shot and as he spun back towards me I could see the result of a razor sharp broadhead that had exited just inside the front left leg.  He left the bait quickly and with power crashing through anything on his straight line run.  

The time was 9:19 pm.  I listend intently for a death moan only to come up with nothing.  I sat and listened for 30 minutes and quietly got down and snuck out and made my way back to the truck.  We decided it was best to wait until morning to begin the tracking.  The following morning we took up the blood trail and found him about 75 yards later.  He had died just out of sight only seconds after the shot.  

Thanks again to Ryan, Ron, and Dave for all there hard work.  Looking forward to doing it again sometime...or at least trying to.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©