3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: who uses weight tubes in their arrows?  (Read 564 times)

Offline stick flipper

• Trad Bowhunter
who uses weight tubes in their arrows?
« on: June 25, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
I have been looking to make some heavy arrows for my recurve. I was looking at 3riversarchery.com and I see they have weight tubes for carbon arrows. I have seen weight tubes before and I have used them with carbon express arrows before, but the heaviest I could get were 3gpi tubes. On 3rivers they have 3,5, and 8 gpi weight tubes! I would like to try the 8gpi tubes with a carbon arrow, but I am a little skeptical of these tubes. Do they mess up the arrow spine? Does anyone use them? What are your experiences with them?

Offline Mudfeather

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: who uses weight tubes in their arrows?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:47:00 PM »
For what it's worth....I acknowledge this is not a scientific test BUT I know what I saw....

I stuffed some carbon express shafts a while back to get the weight up. I shot them along with shafts that weren't stuffed...The UNSTUFFED shafts penetrated deeper into the target on every shot. ....I pondered that a while

And the simple redneck explanation was the weight tubes were thoughout the length of the shaft. That weight has to stop and I believe it forced that shaft to bend more(when stopping) hurting penetration. I think you are better of getting a to stiff shaft and weighting the head enouhg to make it fly good.
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »
Adding weight is no problem at all. On advice from this sight I bought 1/4" poly rope (usually yellow), cut to length, melt the ends and force it into the shaft using a wire cut from an old clothes hanger. No difference in spine and I added about a 100 grains for pennies.

JOhn III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline jeanpaul3006

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 07:16:00 PM »
would anyone know how much weight oxygen tubing would add to a 29.5 inch arrow,

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
I use the 3gr per inch weight tubes, in 35/55 Gold tips, and they work great!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline fredbear1969

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
i use the 3 grain per inch tubes in my goldtips and seem to fly pretty well.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
I used the 5 gr/inch tubes in my 55/75 GT's.  Took the arrow weight from 400 to 550 gr.  No effect on spine.  For the same reason a rubber band inside a piece of conduit doesn't make it any stiffer.  It CAN'T have any effect as the tubes are WAY more flexible than an arrow shaft.
Otto

Offline GEREP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:09:00 AM »
I use the 3gpi tubes in my Carbon Express Terminatior Select shafts for hunting.  I take the tubes out for 3D.  Inside 20 yards, there is little if any difference.  On the longer 3D shots is where I notice a difference in trajectory.  From what I can tell, spine stays the same.

For what it's worth, when you install the tubes, try to make sure that they are a perfect fit length wise.  If there is any slop, even a quarter of an inch, over time the tubes will crack and compress at the ends from sliding back and forth inside the shaft (release and impact).  Some people suggest putting a drop of glue on one end but I like the ability to take mine in and out.

KPC
To the best of my knowledge, no man, on his death bed, ever said "I wish I had spent more time at the office..."

Offline suttoman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:10:00 AM »
I use 3555 gold tips.  I just rocked on down to the local hardware and found something that fits perfectly inside the arrows.

I am not sure if you guys have them in America, but here we have soft round plastic moulding that pushes into the channel in aluminium windows to secure the fiberglass fly or mosquito mesh.  It comes in 4mm 5mm and 6mm diameters (sorry don't have the exact equivalent for you imperial guys).

With a little bit of effort the 6mm pushes perfectly into the hollow section of the 3555 carbons.  I don't have a bow scale to say how much they increase the weight - but it is perfect.

My Whip is only 41# and here the hogs are big so I needed that extra weight for penetration.  My arrows still fly perfectly so it hasn't affected the spine.

Sutto
One hour of life, crowded to the full with glorious action .... is worth whole years of those mean observances of paltry decorum, in which men steal through existence, like sluggish waters through a marsh, without either honor or observation

Offline 6 POINT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »
Even after epoxy glueing the entire length of the weight tube I found that they will still move and eventually push out the nock. I just use stiffer shafts and lots of weight up front where it will do the most good.Frank

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
For what it's worth, when I finally got my carbons tuned, the noise level was still borderline unacceptable to me. So I put in the 3 gpi tubes and got my total weight up and the noise level down. It was well worth the trade off in longer range trajectory to me.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:00 AM »
I use a 3 gpi weight tube.  I wish I could weight mine up front, but with the spines I have to shoot that would require an arrow the approximate diameter of my wrist.

No, they don't affect spine.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
im new to carbons so help me out.i just finished bareshafting and am happy with arrow flight.i keep hearing it doesnt affect spine.so if i add weight tubes i dont have to bareshaft again?

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
With the GT 5575s I tried the screw in weight inserts. Added 100gr up front. Got them up to 520gr. They fly great too.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
weed eater line, taped together about 2 inches apart, with a  wad in center and each end to snug them up.  quiets it down and weights them up. cheap and easy= agree-some times the nocks do pop off-just  carry a could extra in the quiver.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 09:52:00 AM »
If the nock pops off would you be losing some of your added KE? Not the weight of the nock but the loss of momentum of the weed eater line as it moves backwards.

Offline Joe Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 10:35:00 AM »
I have used the 1/4" poly rope in my aluminum arrows the last couple of seasons and I had no problem. I had pass thrus on two deer and severed the spine of a boar hog. Shooting a 700+ grain arrow out of a 57# BW PSAIII. 27" of 1/4 poly adds about 100gr of weight to my arrows. One unexpected advantage was the reduction in noise. When you stuff the aluminum arrow you will notice your bow shoots quieter (dampens harmonic in alum. arrow I guess) Also if you are unfortunate enough to drop an arrow while on stand there is no earth shattering clanging of the arrow as it makes contact with everything within a 5ft diameter on the way to the ground, just a dull thud.

One thing I want to mention is that adding anything to the arrow will affect the spine. I just think the affect is negligible in most cases. If you are right on the border of being overspined the tube/poly rope may push you over but not likely. JMHO

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
ttt

Offline bsh_jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
I like rope much better, but the spine didn't seem to change on my shafts when I threw in some 5 gpi tubes.  The real problem with the tubes was that the shafts broke easier, nocks blew out constantly when stump shooting and penetration just didn't seem to be what I got out of stiffer spined shafts with heavier tips.

Brannon

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
I think the aquarium tubing for 29.5 is about 90-100 grains. It's been awhile but I think that is right.
The hunt is the trophy!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©